Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Anderson
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
I want to like this game, but it looks like there is little strategy with how the board is set up and moving your pieces. Anybody that has played the demo have anything to say to this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
and no, I haven't taken the time to read the rules yet. I probably should keep my mouth shut. sorry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Gracia
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
Check out the game play video just posted today it gives a great overview. Let me know if you have any questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The board is a lot more abstract, just who is at what range. Most of the strategy seems to come from managing the steam in your mech.

While I might have preferred a more granular/detailed board, I don't mind the more abstract since it gives more time to focus on the mech (a neat looking feature of the game).

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Courtight
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the way terrain works I do not think that it would add any depth to move in 2D. Not with the limited number of titans in the game.

With 12 titan sure 2d movement would be cool, but man that would be a lot of managing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alywin Fruge
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Man do I want to like this game...the mech-building and management of power/steam feels like what I wanted Battletech to be back in the day.

But even after watching the gameplay video, the abstract nature of the board and the fact that I'm buying cards with my steam (???) that can affect the terrain is just too much for me.

I totally understand that the focus on managing your mech is squarely where the gameplay is (and that reason alone is why I still find myself looking into this game) but the rest of the game mechanics feel too distracting in their execution for me to just dive in and back it.

In the unfortunate event it doesn't fund I hope they keep the core steam management mechanic, figure out how to make the other aspects of the game play align better, and re-Kickstart it. There is a pretty sweet game in here, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kimball
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Thanks, Alywin, for giving Heavy Steam a look!

Think of the steam you spend from your command station (head) to buy cards as the time and energy needed for combat awareness and command and control. We can imagine this command center, where the pilot sits, to be filled with equipment, sensors, fellow combatants and communication gear the pilot needs to make smart decisions on the battlefield. Need to call up reinforcements? Power up the radio! Need to get into some cover? Assign your 2nd in command to use the magnetic view finder to find you the best position!

The abstractness of the Heavy Steam battlefield means these things aren't handled with hex maps or exacting movement rules, but via the core steam management system that gives player options and hard choices. Powering up weapons and shields is well and good, especially if you have your opponent on the ropes, but if you can afford to spare some steam for your command station, you might give yourself the edge you need if your weapons aren't getting the job done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zee Parks
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottK wrote:
Thanks, Alywin, for giving Heavy Steam a look!

Think of the steam you spend from your command station (head) to buy cards as the time and energy needed for combat awareness and command and control. We can imagine this command center, where the pilot sits, to be filled with equipment, sensors, fellow combatants and communication gear the pilot needs to make smart decisions on the battlefield. Need to call up reinforcements? Power up the radio! Need to get into some cover? Assign your 2nd in command to use the magnetic view finder to find you the best position!

The abstractness of the Heavy Steam battlefield means these things aren't handled with hex maps or exacting movement rules, but via the core steam management system that gives player options and hard choices. Powering up weapons and shields is well and good, especially if you have your opponent on the ropes, but if you can afford to spare some steam for your command station, you might give yourself the edge you need if your weapons aren't getting the job done.

I've always thought that the steam sent to the bridge could be envisioned as the pilot literally capturing steam to power small mechanized airship drones that are likely powered by the steam sent to bridge to wind up their internal gearboxes and then sent on their way to either go back to the base lines to request more troop deployments(infantry/tank cards), and or to scout the terrain in the area to find a location which provides more tactical use on the battle field (terrain Cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ryg
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
I for one am really looking forward to my copy! I'm not impressed with the forward/backward mechanic of the board game. Not very tactically imaginative. I don't see a problem with taking this straight to table-top with some custom range and movement sticks making them a little longer than what is intended for use with the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.