Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick D
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, can anyone recommend a game that has a great deal of player interaction when played with others but also has a decent solo experience? Seems like these are mutually exclusive. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't mind co-op games, they can usually be played solo, but also (theoretically) are all about player interaction with a group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, that's a tough one.

Something like Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island might work. It has a mutual planning phase that can have a lot interaction.

Pandemic might also work, considering it can have a lot of player discussion.

I agree that co-op games are the best bet, but I'm sure there are some other games out there.

Maybe a thematic game like Merchants & Marauders

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghost Stories
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Questioning Answers is as important as Answering Questions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glass Road maybe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Alert requires a lot of interaction when played normally. If you play it solo, you can either do it timed or un-timed. Un-timed is mostly about getting used to the rules. Timed is really intense; you get the whole deck to play with, and you're trying to control 4 androids at once. You can see a timed solo play (by Ricky Royal of Box of Delights) here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WQCzcHsAYg&feature=youtu.be
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Co-ops are definitely the easy answer to this, almost any will do (Robinson Crusoe, pandemic, ghost stories and lord of the rings LCG are all great choices in this category).

If co-ops are a no-go, many of the optimization games by Uwe Rosenberg can be played solo. Agricola, with or without expansion, is good. Le Havre and glass road are apparently good as well, though I haven't tried.

Archipelago is an interesting option as well, as it's a game solely conceived as a multiplayer competitive game but there is an expansion that turns it into a solo puzzle game. I've quite enjoyed playing it, though it can be a little confusing what to do at times as the rules are a little light on info.

Steam/ Age of steam is a highly interactive game that has a few solo maps available for it as expansions as well. Check out Bezier games for a few of those. I had a lot of fun playing those, but replayability isn't super high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roads & Boats

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowdonia all the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Archipelago. You'll need a separate expansion named Archipelago: Solo Expansion for solo experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
Suburbia and Nations are both good ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Boyle
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Proud Balmain Board Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Snowdonia and also Merkator

Both are "high score" challenges (with both having an element of a game AI that is easy on the I) but the both have strong competitive elements multi-player but a good challenge (with just the right amount of luck) solo player.

Both Suburbia and Nations are great games, but I found their solo implementations (in the real world) less interesting. Again they were high score challenges - but in both cases the scoring was heavily determined by the presence (or absence) of particular cards in the game. Difficult to know whether you have performed well or badly given the cards in the deck at the start.

Solo Suburbia on the iPad is however great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
Rakasis wrote:
Hey, can anyone recommend a game that has a great deal of player interaction when played with others but also has a decent solo experience? Seems like these are mutually exclusive. soblue

This is the one recommendation request for which Rune Age is spot-on.

Different scenarios (competitive, race for military strength; competitive, race for money; co-op against the Event Deck; competitive, kill each other).
It has deckbuilding (money and troops go to your deck) but it is not focused on engine-building (like many well-known deckbuilders, like Dominion).
Instead you should keep an eye on others and decide when to attack what, or how to support then in the co-op scenario; I find it heavy on interaction, but keep in mind it is a relatively quick card game, if you want something complex this is not for you. I stress just that simple not equal dumb.

Specifically for solo, you can play two scenarios solo; one is a kind of "training mode"; the co-op solo is very challenging. I usually play two factions solo these days.

A mention to the expansion, it includes a new soli/co-op scenario that I love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick D
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have heard that this is essentially multiplayer solitaire?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick D
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, thanks so much for all the feed back. I might go with Archipelago + expansion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ackerman
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The War Against Giygas!
badge
You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas' attack!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rakasis wrote:
Hey, thanks so much for all the feed back. I might go with Archipelago + expansion!

Excellent choice! This game is one of my personal favorites. I prefer playing it solo, but with the right group it has been an absolute delight to play multiplayer. Solo and multiplayer are quite different animals, but they work really well. Just a fair warning, the gold and silver medals for a lot of the solo scenarios are designed to be impossible unless you have a near perfect setup. Just strive to beat your scores and prevent the rebellion. It's a beautiful experience!

Co-ops do make for some of the best solo gaming... whistle

However, my current favorite game, BattleCON: Devastation of Indines, is tons of fun to play solo with the "side-scrolling dungeon" BattleQuest mode. Even though the main game is a highly competitive fighting card game. It offers 1v1 duels, team and tag-team duels, 2v1 & 3v1 boss modes, and co-op/solo BattleQuest mode. With 30 unique characters to choose from and 18+ others available in others sets, you're bound to find the best character(s) that suit your playstyle.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, if you start with the solo scenarios for Archipelago, I'd start with the medium or longer length ones. The shorter ones can be frustrating because they are VERY short (some of them only give you 4 or 5 turns to complete the goals).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Kaiser's Pirates is the best, in my opinion. There's also Duel in the Dark, Germantown, and Summer Lightning: The Invasion of Poland 1939.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.