Subject: When you run out district cards, do you take more? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Ellard
United Kingdom
Mortlake
London
flag msg tools
We have just played a game and we both ran out of district cards in our hands... I can't find it in the rules, but do you then take more from the stack if you have an empty hand? We both found it quite slow when only having the ability to pick up one card on a turn.

The Navigator allows you to pick up 4, however.

Does anyone know the answer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hillier
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You only draw when the rules allow you to, or when you've got a character that lets you. No refills when you're empty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bob742
msg tools
War is a Racket - Maj Gen Smedley Darlington Butler d
mbmb
Or rather than choosing to take the two gold on your turn, you can draw two cards, keep one of them, and return the other to the bottom of the deck. As per the rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is when the Magician actually becomes useful - provided other players have cards left in their hand too; his power allows you to swap your hand with another player, so if you have none and someone else has some, you can grab all the cards in their hand. Doesn't help if all players have no cards left in hand, of course.

Then there's the Architect, of course, which has the bonus action of drawing 2 additional cards after the standard action, and keeping both.

So there ARE ways to get more cards; just be aware that other players may realise you're trying to get more cards, and you're thus more likely to choose the Magician/Artist/Navigator, so those characters become more likely to be a target of the Assassin/Thief/Witch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jpellard wrote:
do you then take more from the stack if you have an empty hand?

No, but there is a purple district that gives that ability.

Other than that it's character abilities or drawing cards instead of taking gold. Draw 2 keep 1 can be frustrating but there is a district that lets you draw 3 keep & 1 (observatory) and one that lets you keep 2 (library) - these effects do stack so if you have both then you can draw 3 keep 2.

jpellard wrote:
We both found it quite slow when only having the ability to pick up one card on a turn.

I tend not to draw cards unless I have to so I often get down to one card in cand and occasionally none, but I'd try to avoid getting down to no cards if everyone else is too (if other people have loads of cards then using the magician to steal their hand the solution)

In two player with standard roles I'd attempt to get the architect on the turn when I'm planning on building my last card (or failing that when I'm down to two cards). The turn after if I have cards and my opponent doesn't then I'd want to stop them using the magician on me, so I might pick him and use his ability to swap cards with the draw deck, I might discard him to stop my opponent choosing him, or I might grab the thief or assassin so I can build a district before the magician is called.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enson Liew
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jpellard wrote:
We have just played a game and we both ran out of district cards in our hands... I can't find it in the rules, but do you then take more from the stack if you have an empty hand? We both found it quite slow when only having the ability to pick up one card on a turn.

The Navigator allows you to pick up 4, however.

Does anyone know the answer?

Well... you always have the option to either draw cards or take gold for the initial action. however, you can utilize the skill of:
1. Magician - swap hand cards with other players or;
2. Architect - draw 2 more cards after taken and action

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Papenfuss
United States
Star
Idaho
flag msg tools
"Your results are back: it's negative"......um, is that a bad thing?
mbmbmbmbmb
jpellard wrote:
We both found it quite slow when only having the ability to pick up one card on a turn.

One of the reasons I don't rate Citadels higher (and I do think it's a great game), is because the gameplay can seem slow for this and other reasons. The game lasts longer than I expect most card games should last...

But the Architect can be powerful, such as this situation---you can get gold as your action and still get district cards in your hand. Double win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.