Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy Cole
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So my wife and I make it a point when traveling to try and find FLGS in the area we are traveling in to visit. Normally the stores we come across are either not much different than your average good FLGS or they are poor and nothing to write home about. However recently we stopped in at Wandering Dragon located in Plainfield, IL. This store seemed to have something special and so I thought I would write a little shout out / review of them.

If you are ever in the area stop in and check them out! The shoppe can be found online at http://wanderingdragon.com.

So what makes this shop so great? What can other FLGS learn from them? A small list..

1) Great (And I do mean GREAT) selection of games-- they have a very good selection of both new and hard to find games. They also seem to maintain a good balance between newer "hot" games and old favorites as well as gamer games and causal games.

2) A place to play -- what really stands out is the layout of the store. The store's new location feels almost like it was an old pub. Hardwood floors lend to the stores warm atmosphere, but what really makes the store special are the 8-10 individual game rooms off the main walkway. Like study rooms in a library the rooms allow your gaming buddies and you the privacy to play your game in peace while windows allow others to check out the game you are playing.

3) Snacks and beverages - The store has a good selection of food and beverages to keep the hardcore gamer stocked and ready to make it through those longer games.

4) An event calendar to be proud of.. -- I checked out their site prior to visiting since I had heard they recently moved to a new location. What I found is that they had a tournament or event going almost every night. Many nights they have 4-5 events going on.

5) A great gaming library -- One of the things that would make it great to have a store like this nearby is their gaming library. They have a great selection of games available to take off the shelf and try out and had I had more time my wife and I would have taken the opportunity to try out a couple of games on our list.

So thats it, just a little shout about a great store we discovered when traveling. Great Job guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Topher
United States
Highland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It really is a great gaming store. (My flgs.) The new location setup is spectacular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Buchenot
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The dragon is also my game store of choice especially ever since they moved to the new location. They have at least one event every week I want to take part in. Fantastic store, owners and patrons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Cole
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gattz wrote:
The new location setup is spectacular.

I have to agree with the excellent choice of words here. A lot of stores have great selections, friendly and knowledgeable staff (This is the place to start for a lot of stores to improve however), beverages and a decent event calendar. What really blew me away about this store was the concept of individual gaming rooms.

This is the number one thing I wish my FLGS (Armoured Gopher in Champaign, IL - need to do a review of them soon) had. While my FLGS (and a lot of stores) has a place to play, its one big large area with lots of tables setup for large MTG tournaments. I loved the idea of a smaller, more intimate setting to play in and this store nails that!

I am absolutely in love with this concept now that I have seen it. I love the ability to have a small room with a table to play a game with either another person or even an RPG campaign with 6-8 other people. The rooms could easily hold that many. I also like the windows to let others check out what is going on.

And while it would be easy to just close the door and shut out the rest of the world to concentrate on the game, very few of the rooms actually had the door closed, many had the door open and those inside where quick to say hi and welcome you in if you wanted to take a look. This is a sign of a good community / customer base that has the right attitude!

Again way to go guys! The gaming community is alive and strong at this store!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.