Subject: Do Ancient Ships form Ancient Hives keep moving? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bruce freestone
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played games where NPCs that move randomly keep doing so from turn to turn and assumed this to be the case in Rise of The Ancients. However, now I am not so sure and have searched the rules and forums without finding an answer.

So, once an Ancient Ship has moved out of a Hive hex into an explored hex at the end of the upkeep phase, is that the extent of its travels? Or do subsequent upkeep phase rolls also affect departed Ancient ships (following the same directional rules)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bettan
Canada
Cote St Luc
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would only move again if it landed in another ancient hive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruce freestone
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Eric, that makes sense.

It just goes to show how assumptions can be carried over from one game to the next. I was probably thinking of the way parasites move in Panic Station.

Still think it would be cool to have Ancient Ships wandering the galaxy though......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Havlykke
Sweden
Rimbo
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, time for you to houserule, then...

Randomly determine, vote or decide at game start if you want roaming Hive Aliens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That'd be a fun varient for 3 or 4 player. Place face up hives in the (4th) 5th and 6th player slots as you might an Ancient Homeworld. As soon as a tile goes next to the Hive it gets turned on and the Hive ancients keep on moving. Would need to track which ancients came from the hive, but it shouldn't be too difficult.

For a real challenge the final ancient on the hive could be a Cruiser. Draco would be ruled out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.