Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Melting point of card sleeves rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I know it might be a strange question, but tomorrow my home will be heated to 150 F to get rid of a pest problem. I have several games with sleeved cards (the mayday penny sleeves mostly). What is the likelihood of the sleeves melting together and destroying the cards? What about the games and plastic pieces themselves, like the trains in Ticket to Ride, for example?

I imagine some attics/warehouses can get that hot in the worst of summer, but I'm not sure. Basically, I'm wondering if I should unsleeve all of the games or if I'm just overreacting. Unfortunately, for an abundance of caution, removing the games from the premises is not an option.

Any help is appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked up Mayday and FF sleeves and they are made of polypropylene. The melting point of polypropylene is listed as 266°F so 150°F should be no problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeJayGe
United States
Windsor Hills
California
flag msg tools
The Idealist Counselor - Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judging (INFJ)
badge
Don't hate the game, hate the player.
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have some 'junk' cards?

If you do, heat your oven up to temperature using a thermometer, insert cards, and see how it reacts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How exactly do they heat a house to 150 degrees? I'm imagining something along the lines of the popcorn scene from Real Genius.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeJayGe
United States
Windsor Hills
California
flag msg tools
The Idealist Counselor - Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judging (INFJ)
badge
Don't hate the game, hate the player.
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine it is a lot of forced air.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
How exactly do they heat a house to 150 degrees? I'm imagining something along the lines of the popcorn scene from Real Genius.

They pipe in the air directly from the US Congress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis de Vries
Netherlands
Deventer
flag msg tools
Ah, doctor, that aneasthetic is perfect!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also very curious to know what pest is sensitive to heat...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Gejayge wrote:
I imagine it is a lot of forced air.

Political advertising?

...OK, makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Thomas
United States
Langhorne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"I will take love wherever I find it, and offer it to everyone who will take it. Seek knowledge from those wiser, and teach those who wish to learn." -Duane Allman
mbmbmbmbmb
Menghini wrote:
I'm also very curious to know what pest is sensitive to heat...?

I believe this is the preferred method of killing bed bugs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
150 °F is just 65 °C, right? That's not a lot (unless you're a bed bug, of course). Do you think your game component might be damaged if you for whatever reason decided to play in a sauna? A sauna is typically hotter than 176 °F (80 °C).

However, I would be concerned with any sudden changes in humidity as a result of the heating. On the other hand, the pest control guys must have some pointers regarding the effects on paintings, books, wallpaper and son on. Ask them - and don't forget to report back how it all went.

Good luck debugging your house. :fingerscrossed:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the advice. I unsleeved a couple games before I realized just how long that was going to take. I'll report back tonight on the effects on the games with or without sleeves. Hopefully it will prove this was a pointless question to ask.

If all goes well, we'll have to consider holding next game night in a sauna

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nemesisraven wrote:
I unsleeved a couple games before I realized just how long that was going to take.
Yeah, I was wondering about that. Sleeving and unsleeving your cards seems like a real chore if you have a significant amount of them sleeved.

Nemesisraven wrote:
The moisture would do far more damage than the heat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Nemesisraven wrote:
The moisture would do far more damage than the heat.

Most (Finnish) saunas have very low relative humidity. You must be thinking of a steam bath. But regardless, you'd have to play your games nude, so I suggest something with player screens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So whatever happened with this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry
United States
Graham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruiser419 wrote:
So whatever happened with this?

The cards survived the heat...but...so did the pests. They quickly devoured everything in the house, including the beloved sleeved cards. Their appetites grew and they ate the pest control people, then the OP, then the rest of the town. This is only the beginning, friends. They will not be stopped. Hide yourselves and take your sleeved cards with you! They are coming. Wait, what was that noise? Somethi.......................................................................................
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think the game box would do a fine job of maintaining a tolerable heat level for your sleeves.

If nothing else you could put your games in the basement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also use some coolers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.