Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clayton Capra
United States
Prior Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because of rule 6.96 "A unit must cease movement the instant it enters an enemy unit's front hex" is the only time you can use the Wheeling Maneuver during an advance after combat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
no. see 6.42 and example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Capra
United States
Prior Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
6.42 does not answer my question. I'm asking about 6.43, can a Hoplite do a wheeling maneuver right after it moves into an enemy unit's front hex?

Rule 6.96 clearly states that it can't but I'm wondering if their was suposed to be an exception that allows them to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory Colling
United States
VICTOR
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
6.43 is not a Wheeling Maneuver in this rule for an Advance After Combat.

6.96 Doesn't say anything about any kind of Wheeling Maneuver.

Of course I assume that rule 6.43 assumes the Hoplite Phalanx started the move in that position...one side is adjacent to an enemy and the other side not adjacent to an enemy.

Rule 6.4 does not refer to Advance after combat, at least not until rule 8.23 refers to it.

Why don't you ask the designer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Marshall
United States
Roselle
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to Alan Ray, the game's developer, Rule 6.43 applies whether the phalanx moved adjacent to the enemy during its movement, or whether it began its movement phase adjacent to the enemy hoplite phalanx. It is an exception to 6.96.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Capra
United States
Prior Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thomas thank you for posting. So they can pivot the turn they move into an enemy front hex. I'll start playing that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Marshall
United States
Roselle
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem, Clayton. In full disclosure, I was playing it incorrectly - I was interpreting it that the wheeling maneuver was for when a phalanx had an enemy unit in one of its front hexes at the start of its movement.

Shows you what I know. And...to more fully shine a light on my embarrassment...Hoplite is far from the first GBoH game I've played (but it is quickly moving up the standings to vie for my favorite).

Fortunately, finding out I've got rules wrong is something I have years of experience at!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.