Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Galaxy Defenders» Forums » Rules

Subject: Two first game questions - Xeno Alpha Leader ability and Defense dice Q rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am playing my first game, Mission 1 and have 2 questions:

1) The first is about the Xeno Alpha's Leader ability. "When the Xeno Alpha moves ALSO move the 2 closest aliens within one area of it AND place them in the same area where the Xeno Alpha ends its move."

When does that clause about "within one area" kick in? If there are no aliens within one area at the beginning of its move, does this ability not kick in at all? Or after it moves to get within one area of other aliens does it kick in then and they move to the same area? The exact thing I have/had is Xeno Alpha two areas away from a Xeno Beta. My character is out of LOS so the Xeno Alpha would move one area closer to my character which puts it within one area of the Xeno Beta. Does the Xeno Beta NOW move to the Xeno Alpha's area? or not because it wasn't within one area at the start of the move?

2) Second question is on the number of defense dice rolled in a given situation. The rulebook says "The defender rolls 1 BLUE die for each successful HIT result rolled by the attacker in the HIT roll."

If my character has a weapon with "BOLT: +1 HIT", does that count as a HIT result rolled? i.e. Does the defender get to roll 1 BLUE die (for the one actual HIT rolled)? Or 2 BLUE dice (for the two HITs that were scored)?

Thanks in advance for any help and apologies if either of these is a frequently asked Q.

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. No pals within one area of Mr. Alpha means he moves all by his lonesome.

2: Yes, it's wonky, but if your agent roll 7 hits the alien target rolls 7 defense dice.

If the alien had any type of armor, use that to reduce the number of hits it takes, and roll the remainder in defense dice.

Crazy Example: Your agent rolls 9 damage. The alien has 1 armor, reducing the number of defense dice the alien would roll to 8, since he could potentially take 8 hits. It seems counter intuitive, but in reality there is a 40% chance each die will stop 1 hit, meaning the more damage you do, the more chance you'll injure your target worse.

And if you think about it, it's a lot better than games that say "You rolled 11 damage and an X; an X means you missed, so nothing happens".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple Paladin wrote:
Correct. No pals within one area of Mr. Alpha means he moves all by his lonesome.

2: Yes, it's wonky, but if your agent roll 7 hits the alien target rolls 7 defense dice.

If the alien had any type of armor, use that to reduce the number of hits it takes, and roll the remainder in defense dice.

Crazy Example: Your agent rolls 9 damage. The alien has 1 armor, reducing the number of defense dice the alien would roll to 8, since he could potentially take 8 hits. It seems counter intuitive, but in reality there is a 40% chance each die will stop 1 hit, meaning the more damage you do, the more chance you'll injure your target worse.

And if you think about it, it's a lot better than games that say "You rolled 11 damage and an X; an X means you missed, so nothing happens".

1. You check the Alpha's leadership at the start of his movement.

2. Yes, the +1 hit from a bolt effect will indeed increase the defense dice rolled by +1 as well.

Its also important to note that Armor and Shields are different elements in this game. The Nexus has both shields and Armor. The importance of the distinction comes when you are using a device like Full Metal Jacket which says to ignore any alien armor. This does not include shields.

So a green Nexus has 1 shield and 1 alien armor (non-alien weapons deal -1 damage). If my Sniper rolls 3 hits and uses his "+1 Hit" tactic, it would be 4 hits total. The shield would reduce that to 3 hits. The Nexus then rolls 3 defense dice and gets 1 shield. So 2 damage gets through, but Alien Armor then reduces that by an additional 1, so in the end, the Nexus loses its shield and takes 1 damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Summerdale
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies, folks! Much appreciated.

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Peterson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

In this thread it was clarified that the Nexus alien armor reduces hits from human weapons BEFORE the energy shield kicks in.

Makes it a bit nastier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reverend Pete wrote:

In this thread it was clarified that the Nexus alien armor reduces hits from human weapons BEFORE the energy shield kicks in.

Makes it a bit nastier.

Good to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.