5 Posts

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: "Finales" for existing story cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A few thoughts here... Although the idea I'm going to discuss was mostly intended for Solo games, part of the genesis came from a game of "Respectable Persons of Business" where my opponent called Last Call, and was like, "That's it? I feel like I should have to do more."

That got me thinking about how the end of the game can sometimes be a simple (not-so-thrilling) sliding across a finish line with barely a die roll in sight).

Looking at some of the many options out there, there's a lot of variant. For example, one of the things that really impressed me about Keith Done's Miranda story card is the finale. Rather than the standard "flip some cards, roll a die, and win," he's successfully put a ticking clock on things. Yes, you're competing against other players, but you're also trying to win before your Crew dies one by one.

Similarly, Wolvenwood's Slaying the Dragon co-op story has a finale with some substance. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy story cards like Niska's Holiday, but Wolvenwood's take feels like it really BUILDS to something.

I've been fiddling with a Solo Campaign idea, where stories build on one another and have consequences, so I want to be completely transparent and note that that's where my original focus was for this concept. But perhaps there could be broader uses?

So what would a "Finale" look like?

My idea is that Finales would be a separate mechanic that "opens up" after you complete the last goal of a game. Ideally, it would be minimally intrusive, likely tweaking at least the third goal, and possibly adding something earlier in the game to help create a sense of BUILDING to something.

In a Solo game, the countdown clock would stop once you reach the Finale, as long as you ONLY work the finale (fly somewhere, try to buy something, whatever, and the clock starts ticking again).

In a multi-player game, perhaps you can only work the Finale once a round -- which might give other players a chance to catch up.

Here are a few examples of what I have in mind.

EXAMPLE #1 - HARKEN'S FOLLY - AN ADD-ON FINALE

The first two Goals remain the same. The third Goal remains mechanically the same, but the result of success changes to "Success - You Have Infiltrated the Conference. Goal Complete; Proceed to Finale."

Finale

Security inside the Conference is tight. While some of your crew plant bugs and hack secure servers to collect intel, the others act run interference.

Divide your Crew into two teams: a Tech Team and a Distraction Team.

Each round consists of 2 parts:

1) Distraction Team: Roll a die for each Crew on the Distraction Team. On a 1, that Crew is captured by the Alliance. If all Crew on the Distraction Team have been captured, roll for each Crew on the Tech Team instead.

(Design note: Not really sure how to deal with the Captain here...)

2) Using only the remaining members of your Tech Team, roll for a skill test:

Tech Test 15 (+3 Tech with Hacking Rig)
1-6 Too many curious eyes. No luck.
7-14 Partial success. +2 Tech to subsequent rolls (Cumulative)
15+ Success! You've gathered enough intel to help you become a very rich criminal! You win the game!

(Design note: If this plays right, I'm hoping for sort of a Mission: Impossible vibe. The trick here is to balance your two teams so that you have enough Crew running interference for the Techies that they can do their job before the non-Techie Crew all get arrested. Luck plays a pretty big factor here -- with a Thrillin' Heroics result, it's possible to plow to victory on the first die roll. Conversely, bad luck could result in the Distraction Team getting nabbed very quickly).

EXAMPLE #2 - NISKA'S HOLIDAY - AN ADD-ON FINALE PLUS AN ONGOING COMPLICATION

Here, Goal #3 is altered so that once you hand your money over to Niska, you must survive and encounter with an "NPC" rival before victory.

To make the finale make more sense, there's an added complication throughout the game:

Ongoing Complication - Poacher

Whenever you start to Work an Illegal Job, roll a die. On a 1, Ott and his crew show up. Resolve an Ott Encounter before Proceeding.

If you Botch an Illegal Job, resolve an Ott Encounter immediately.

Ott Encounter (For those who haven't read THOSE LEFT BEHIND, Ott and his crew show up very briefly as a competing crew with a reputation for getting the drop on other crews during a job).

Negotiate Test 12 (+3 with FIREARM)
1-6 Ott steals the Job from you! Remove the Job from play -- put it in a pile for Ott for later use.
7-11 Ott is willing to share the score. If you complete the Job, base pay is halved (round down). Bonuses are not affected.
12+ Ott backs down. Proceed.

Finale

After paying off Niska in Goal 3, you must fight off Ott and his Crew in the finale. Special: For each Job that Ott successfully poached during the game, increase the target of the skill test by 1 -- he's spent his ill-gotten gains equipping his crew!

Fight Test 13 (This Test counts as a Showdown)
1-6 Kill a Crew.
7-12 One of Ott's crew is disabled - +2 Fight to subsequent rolls (Cumulative)
12+ Success! You've defeated Ott and proven yourself to Niska!

(Design notes: Probably not as complex as Harken's Folly, the goal here is simply outlasting Ott's crew. Can you kill his guys before he kills yours?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Murray
United Kingdom
Ivybridge
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still haven't managed to get a game yet, fingers crossed for this week, but I like this idea of giving a finale to each story.

Love the inclusion of Ott!

Can we include a roll for Shepard Book to steal...sorry borrow a big ass vehicle and help us escape?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tai
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of having to achieve a sort of 'quiet retirement' on one of the moneymaking story cards...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Should Firefly: The Game have a finale? Firelfy: The Show didn't.whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Scarbuck wrote:
Should Firefly: The Game have a finale? Firelfy: The Show didn't.whistle

sure it did. it was just in movie form
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.