Popular Tags: [View All]
John Lee
United States
Flowood
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Been awhile since I posted here.
So was driving home from work and what do you know at the intersection on the highway where I turn around to go back towards my drive way was a perfect condition box sealed and everything. So while waiting for traffic to clear I become nosy and look at the label it's to a restaurant I frequent. So my question is should I turn it into ups or the dining establishment.
I figured I'd just go eat lunch there and hand it over to the manager. Least he would be grateful and say thank you. I really don't think ups would even care. However, I was curious and thought I should ask If UPS offered some kind of reward. Heck I really only want like a free month of ups' subscription service so I can pick when to have my junk delivered. I can't find anything on the web. But, it would make sense though since it saves them money from the insurance claim.
So vote who gets the package. No clue what's inside.
Ups
Restaurant
Or goodwill/Salvation Army
Yay good deed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Love my girls!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Give it to the restaurant and let UPS slide on this one. Everyone screws up sometimes, so best just to golden rule the situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lee
United States
Flowood
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnylawless wrote:
Give it to the restaurant and let UPS slide on this one. Everyone screws up sometimes, so best just to golden rule the situation.

That's what I figured.

Besides I'd get achievement unlocked. "Delivery Man" worth 5 points lol. And I didn't even have to buy brown shorts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trace
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I am sorry you needed to ask...Its sad this is even a 'thing'

If you know the restaurant; are a customer or you drive by it-take it to them.

if you live next door to the post office or ups place take it in...

If it were yours what would you want someone to do with it?

or what would you tell your children (if you have them ) to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lee
United States
Flowood
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joose wrote:

I fail to see your issue with my post. I all but said I had no intentions of keeping it. I actually live about 10 miles out of town so all the places would be a bit of a commute. Which I don't mind. But, honestly it would be silly of me to give it to the restaurant if ups had some kind of reward system. I mean honestly give it to person a for free or give it back to person b who tech still owns it for $5 which would you do.

Please note both places ups store and dining establishment is about equal distance and trouble to get in and out off.

Edit:

Honestly, I'm kinda insulted by your post. I'm not trying to steal or even really endorse stealing in my post. I found a lost item near my drive way and only asked for the most logical place to return it.

To be frank I could give it to the manager at the restaurant he could still go file an insurance claim and then ups gives them a second item. There by my actions would of caused theft/purgery (I know that's not the right word but can't think of it at 2am while on cold medication). So if you have issue please do not take it out on me since my question is pure . Think of the evil that could be else where! devil Mwhahahaha yes I'm bored and putting off studying for final lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A confession: sometimes when I need an easy way to get rid of some dolphin scrapple or dead cats, I'll tape them up in a cardboard box, slap on a UPS sticker with the address of a nearby restaurant, and leave it beside the road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lee
United States
Flowood
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
A confession: sometimes when I need an easy way to get rid of some dolphin scrapple or dead cats, I'll tape them up in a cardboard box, slap on a UPS sticker with the address of a nearby restaurant, and leave it beside the road.

Lol nah the store on the ship from is a plastic bottle company pretty sure that's what's inside when I shook it. Guess I could go check though no harm no foul right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is unlikely that you would get a reward from UPS.

You would be handing over the package to a low-level employee, who would not be allowed to give out rewards.

And if there is a reward program, you would probably have to fill out some forms. But those forms do not exist. Why? Because the package is property of UPS and/or the restaurant and/or the sender, and not yours. So if you fill out a form that says "I have one of your packages" then if you do NOT hand it in you are basically stealing. So you HAVE to hand it in.

Personally, I would just give it to the restaurant, and then everybody is happy. Or give it to UPS if that is easier. Probably that is the "official" way, because they have some form somewhere that the restaurant owner would have to sign for receiving the package.

EDIT: Call UPS, and ask them. They'll probably tell you that they will pick up the package at your place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lee
United States
Flowood
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
I think it is unlikely that you would get a reward from UPS.

You would be handing over the package to a low-level employee, who would not be allowed to give out rewards.

And if there is a reward program, you would probably have to fill out some forms. But those forms do not exist. Why? Because the package is property of UPS and/or the restaurant and/or the sender, and not yours. So if you fill out a form that says "I have one of your packages" then if you do NOT hand it in you are basically stealing. So you HAVE to hand it in.

Personally, I would just give it to the restaurant, and then everybody is happy. Or give it to UPS if that is easier. Probably that is the "official" way, because they have some form somewhere that the restaurant owner would have to sign for receiving the package.

Yeah I was like 99.99999999% there wasn't any kind of reward system. Really this post was more of an excuse to waste time when I should be studying lol.

UPS is really who I should probably turn it in at. But, honestly I needed to choose a place to eat lunch at tomorrow anyway. So will probably go there and just give it to the manager. If they still file for insurance that's on them not me. Plus the ups store is in a shopping center near the local elementary and high school so high traffic area and has no red light. So that's my excuse.

Edit: suppose I could do that. But I'd have to just leave it outside for them. I work 5 to midnight. Usually sleep from 2 or 3 am till about 9 or 10 am. By then I'm needing to go run errands or see friends not wait for late ups drivers lol.

They annoy me if you can't tell. It's really not their fault so I don't take it out on them directly. The distribution hub for the area is in one town over from the one I live in. They drive by my house every morning to make deliveries in town (I live off highway like go down driveway there's the highway) and then when their done they leave town by the same highway and drive past my house. Then make a u-turn since my driveway isn't right across from one of those intersections and drive like half a mile back in the direction of town like they did that morning. Without fail almost every ups package doesn't get to my house till 8pm. Very very annoying since I work 5 to 12.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trace
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dravack wrote:
Joose wrote:

I fail to see your issue with my post. I all but said I had no intentions of keeping it. I actually live about 10 miles out of town so all the places would be a bit of a commute. Which I don't mind. But, honestly it would be silly of me to give it to the restaurant if ups had some kind of reward system. I mean honestly give it to person a for free or give it back to person b who tech still owns it for $5 which would you do.

Please note both places ups store and dining establishment is about equal distance and trouble to get in and out off.

Edit:

Honestly, I'm kinda insulted by your post. I'm not trying to steal or even really endorse stealing in my post. I found a lost item near my drive way and only asked for the most logical place to return it.

To be frank I could give it to the manager at the restaurant he could still go file an insurance claim and then ups gives them a second item. There by my actions would of caused theft/purgery (I know that's not the right word but can't think of it at 2am while on cold medication). So if you have issue please do not take it out on me since my question is pure . Think of the evil that could be else where! devil Mwhahahaha yes I'm bored and putting off studying for final lol.

I did not intend to insult you, and I am unfamiliar with the policies of UPS (not being in the US) but I did not accuse you of thinking of keeping it either. So I will apologise if you took my comment that way.

My issue was that it is sad that anyone has to ask what the right thing to do is. Return it - it matters not where. As for your question being pure and for me not to take issue with you-well thats what happens when you post in a forum, some will agree, others disagree.

Here Australia post offers no reward for items returned as found.

I hope you feel better soon and good luck with your finals!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lee
United States
Flowood
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joose wrote:
dravack wrote:
Joose wrote:

Edit:

I did not intend to insult you, and I am unfamiliar with the policies of UPS (not being in the US) but I did not accuse you of thinking of keeping it either. So I will apologise if you took my comment that way.

My issue was that it is sad that anyone has to ask what the right thing to do is. Return it - it matters not where. As for your question being pure and for me not to take issue with you-well thats what happens when you post in a forum, some will agree, others disagree.

Here Australia post offers no reward for items returned as found.

I hope you feel better soon and good luck with your finals!

No hard feelings mate and Thanks for the luck. I think the real problem is the confusion here with my question. Lol wasn't asking if I should return it or not. That part I knew I'd do. Just was trying to waste some time and get others opinions on who to give the package to.

UPS (their kinda like DHL which I think you guys have in Australia or FedEx if your more familiar with them. Our postal system is called USPS or United States postal system completely different beast least kinda same purpose I suppose) eh I digress.... Or if I should turn it in to the restaurant because they could lie about it or they might be some other reason like a reward I didn't know about. Honestly I would be happy with a smile and a thank you. I was just bored and needed a reason to talk to people lol. (Since it's 4 am all my friends are asleep lol)

This seemed like a very logical and interesting problem to pose to everyone on here.

But, either way in the end like I said above I'll probably be taking it to the restaurant instead of UPS even though UPS is where is probably should go due to fraud chance. Due to the fact the restaurant is easier to get to that's where it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
I would return it to ups. In case it was damaged.

As I am writing this I also realize the restaurant could claim not to receive it and make a claim.

At this point the rightful owner is ups.
I'd return it to the restaurant. They'll probably be more grateful for turning it in and you're not responsible for whether or not the restaurant is honest with UPS. Besides, UPS did lose the package and it could just as easily have been swept up by the garbage truck or blown up by the bomb squad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearcat89 wrote:
Is that amazon package trying to tell me something or is it just happy to see me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearcat89 wrote:

If UPS advertised this, it could really boost internet sales and UPS deliveries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
My choice would be to return it to the restaurant. I'd look at in in the way Joose mentioned, "What would you like to have happen"?

My guesses for that are:

For the restaurant, they just want what they ordered delivered. If you make the effort to get it to them, they may be grateful, but either way, a good deed is done for them.

For UPS, they are in the biz of getting things delivered. If you finish the delivery for them, it's less hassle for them, hopefully no loss, etc. Being a large corporation, they are unlikely to reward you.

If you were to return it to UPS, it may work out just like above, except the delivery is delayed further. It may also work out that the restaurant has noticed the missing package, and had to re-order it. Now there's a package that may never get returned (often more expensive than it's worth). UPS has had to deliver twice, but it was presumably their mistake. The sender is out a package for no fault of their own, unless UPS reimburses them, which is a hassle in any case. And the restaurant has to wait for a redelivery. Everyone loses.

Giving it to Goodwill/Salvation Army, while it might appear to be a good deed, is just straight up theft. Finders/keepers only works if nobody claims the lost property, and it's clear who it should be going to. While you wouldn't be "keeping" it, you essentially would be, then deciding to give it away.

I think I had the same gut reaction as Joose, which was it seems clear to me what the best option is. Assuming it was clear to someone, then choosing a lesser option, just in hope of reward, seems selfish.

However, it's always good to remember what seems clear to one person, may not be so to another. Since you were asking, I'd say it's fair to say the choice isn't clear cut to you - hence, looking for honest opinion. Just trying to explain why it might strike different folk otherwise. Also, I'm just guessing/assuming at Joose's view as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian A
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
May I take your trident, sir?
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearcat89 wrote:

Isn't it a bit early in the day for this? I usually wait until it's dark out before I look up pictures of UPS carriers...

I don't care if they lose packages. From now on, I'm using UPS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mmmmmm, dolphin scrapple!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearcat89 wrote:

I just quoted this pic to join the bandwagon of everyone else that did it too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.