Subject: Reserve Area in Combat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Noone
United States
Blue Bell
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
It seems to me like the rules treat the reserve area in combat as some kind of safe haven for units that are not currently engaged with the enemy. Really, such a situation would have not existed in a real battle. The only advantage the reserve area has in actuality is the additional distance between it and the enemy front line. Therefore, it should be possible for enemy units with sufficient movement capacity(most likely cavalry, I think)to advance into the reserve area and wreak whatever havoc they can. This should be considerable, since friendly units here are generally in transit to/from the front lines and are probably found in march/movement formation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Rouy
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I disagree. A reserve is .... a reserve ! Even if a sector is broken, it can be reinforced by units coming from the reserve. If an unexpected enemy corps arrives on the flank or rear, then a new combat sector is created, that can be fed by the Reserve.

Real surprise was exceptional at this level, the CiC always knew wome kind of enemy was coming, and was reacting accordingly by dispatching troops (like Mouton's corps at Waterloo).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Noone
United States
Blue Bell
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Forced Onto the Defensive in Midbattle
The way you describe the action coming out of this particular reserve it appears that the owning army is already fighting a rearguard action in the middle of the battle. In any case I see no reason why this part of the battlefield cannot be the scene of major fighting if the attacker can first clear out any resistance standing between him and the enemy reserve and then bring to bear whatever units he may have in position to engage any enemy units he finds here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.