Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Other world difficulty rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
Hello, fellow monster hunters and world savers.

Has anyone ever looked through the gate deck and calculated which Other Worlds tend to be more or less difficult to get through (and out again) alive? I'd assume the worlds with more difficult to close gates are harder in general, but I haven't played often enough to know (R'lyeh feels brutal).
Which gate card colors are easier or harder?
Are the "Other location" encounters usually better or worse for the investigators than the encouters for a specific Otherworld?

Inquiring minds want to know and any help (both cold hard math and gut feelings by experienced players) is welcome.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the colors go like this: red, yellow, blue, green. (in order of toughest to easiest)

Haven't noticed any differences in difficulty between specific/other, but then I don't often go to Another Dimension (it doesn't appear on any Other World cards and is always handled by the Other part, right?)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RindFisch wrote:
Hello, fellow monster hunters and world savers.

Has anyone ever looked through the gate deck and calculated which Other Worlds tend to be more or less difficult to get through (and out again) alive? I'd assume the worlds with more difficult to close gates are harder in general, but I haven't played often enough to know (R'lyeh feels brutal).
Which gate card colors are easier or harder?
Are the "Other location" encounters usually better or worse for the investigators than the encouters for a specific Otherworld?

Inquiring minds want to know and any help (both cold hard math and gut feelings by experienced players) is welcome.


Dennis,

What Karlis has mentioned seems pretty spot-on. Additionally, the colors correspond roughly to particular aspects of your Investigator. Red Other World cards affect Stamina; Yellow affects Sanity; Blue...maybe Clue tokens; and Green are generally benevolent (Which is why I do love Mr. Culver). I may be mistaken on one (or two) of these, but you get the idea.

Cheers,
Joe
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Professor wrote:
Additionally, the colors correspond roughly to particular aspects of your Investigator. Red Other World cards affect Stamina; Yellow affects Sanity; Blue...maybe Clue tokens; and Green are generally benevolent


Ooh, that's a nice detail I had never noticed!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Some have really nasty events tied to the specific outer worlds. On top of the bad color combination, R'yleh has a lot of bad events that can take your stuff and/ or reduce your stamina and sanity, or just plain devour you.

I had looked through the original Lost Carcosa events, and found that of all of them in the original Dunwich expansion, only one was beneficial, and that one was that you found a safe place to rest. Lost Carcosa is probably the worst of the outer worlds.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheNameWasTaken wrote:
The Professor wrote:
Additionally, the colors correspond roughly to particular aspects of your Investigator. Red Other World cards affect Stamina; Yellow affects Sanity; Blue...maybe Clue tokens; and Green are generally benevolent


Ooh, that's a nice detail I had never noticed!


You might not want this level of specificity, so I'll put it in spoiler format. This regards skill checks in other worlds.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The OWs are, generally speaking, skill specific; although, you can't just adjust your sliders using your memorization skill, because some of them have encounters that could require either/or on one line. Boy, it's maddening to have an encounter with the skill set at its lowest denominator, adjust it for the second encounter and have the opposite skill be required. Wait! Maddening/Arkham Horror. Oh, yeah.


Brian
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jackalope wrote:
Some have really nasty events tied to the specific outer worlds. On top of the bad color combination, R'yleh has a lot of bad events that can take your stuff and/ or reduce your stamina and sanity, or just plain devour you.

I had looked through the original Lost Carcosa events, and found that of all of them in the original Dunwich expansion, only one was beneficial, and that one was that you found a safe place to rest. Lost Carcosa is probably the worst of the outer worlds.


This is an interesting comment about Lost Carcosa.

(Wait just a second).

Hey, Cthulhu, look! What's that!?!?

I don't seem to have a lot of trouble in Lost Carcosa. R'lyeh has always been much tougher for me.

Brian
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep your Luck high...that's the one piece of advice I can give to all travelers of Other Worlds.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
The Professor wrote:
Additionally, the colors correspond roughly to particular aspects of your Investigator. Red Other World cards affect Stamina; Yellow affects Sanity; Blue...maybe Clue tokens; and Green are generally benevolent


Wow, I never even thought about the colors maybe indicating type as well as difficulty of the encounters. That's intriguing.
One day, I may go through them and count exactly what's what, but today's not quite the day.

Thanks for the insights, everyone.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RindFisch wrote:
The Professor wrote:
Additionally, the colors correspond roughly to particular aspects of your Investigator. Red Other World cards affect Stamina; Yellow affects Sanity; Blue...maybe Clue tokens; and Green are generally benevolent


Wow, I never even thought about the colors maybe indicating type as well as difficulty of the encounters. That's intriguing.
One day, I may go through them and count exactly what's what, but today's not quite the day.

Thanks for the insights, everyone.


Jim Culver gets to use green events no matter which other world he is in. Aside from allowing him to get more non other world specific events in nastier other worlds, he gets a much better chance of getting a beneficial event.

Now if he only had high enough stats to actually close a gate.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I very specifically have NOT studied the encounters in any depth, but at over 120 games, some patterns do emerge.

I think you are more likely to receive money from Yellow encounters.

I think you are more likely to receive an item from a Blue encounter.

I am surprised to learn that Lost Carcossa has no positive encounters; I find it a fairly safe place, on a level with Celeano risk-wise; its encounters, though negative, must be fairly survivable.

Unknown Kaddath, on the other hand, can easily devour an investigator, or even cause the players to immediately lose the game. Now THAT place is SCARY.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Corvid
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jackalope wrote:
RindFisch wrote:
The Professor wrote:
Additionally, the colors correspond roughly to particular aspects of your Investigator. Red Other World cards affect Stamina; Yellow affects Sanity; Blue...maybe Clue tokens; and Green are generally benevolent


Wow, I never even thought about the colors maybe indicating type as well as difficulty of the encounters. That's intriguing.
One day, I may go through them and count exactly what's what, but today's not quite the day.

Thanks for the insights, everyone.


Jim Culver gets to use green events no matter which other world he is in. Aside from allowing him to get more non other world specific events in nastier other worlds, he gets a much better chance of getting a beneficial event.

Now if he only had high enough stats to actually close a gate.


Just a quick note that last time I checked, Jim Culver's ability isn't recognised in the Arkham Horror companion app.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel J.
Mongolia
Ulaanbaatar
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Check this page out for excellent background info on the Other Worlds

http://www.polyhedroncollider.com/2012/08/arkham-horror-guid...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.