Subject: Athenas 'for love' ability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
If you have fun, then even if you lose you still win!
mbmbmbmbmb
It says it can be used when another player is forced to discard. Does this count when they CHOOSE to move between ships, or land a viper, because that choice isnt forced? (so can you use it to completely cancel there card cost and let the player travel for free?)

Also, can you see what the other player WOULD have discarded before choosing whether or not to use the ability?
So wait to see what they discard, then say "no no, i'll use my ability, you can keep that " Or do you have to declare it beforehand?

And I assume it stacks with lampkins ability, so he'd have his card-cost reduced by 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
There recently was an extensive discussion on For Love, and it has now been completely clarified by FFG. The answers are in the UFAQ:

Q: When can Athena's "For Love" be used?
A: (Zach, FFG, to infocynic) Athena can use her “For Love” ability any time a player discards a Skill Card for any reason, with the following exceptions:
— When a player discards down to his/her hand limit.
— When resolving a Super Crisis.
— When a character discards a skill card to resolve an ability on his/her character sheet. This includes discards caused by Kat’s “Hotshot” ability, Hoshi’s “Dutiful” ability, and Anders’s “Star Player” ability.

The answer was clarified as the restrictions being limited to 'positive abilities', i.e., For Love can be used to counter Tigh's Alcoholic, Roslin's Terminal Illness, and Hoshi's Reluctant.
Note: Zach's answer is an extension of an earlier answer given by Tim, which only talked about hand limit and super crisis.

So, For Love does not say that you can only use it when 'forced' to discard. You can use it for ANY discard, with the limitations specified above. So moving between ships and landing a viper are fine.

In answer to the second issue: no, you cannot see what the player WOULD have discarded. For Love is used BEFORE the discard takes place. However, I may add that in the games that I mod, I let Athena use For Love to allow a player to take back a discard; otherwise things slow down too much.

And yes, it stacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
For Love - Once per turn, when another player must discard 1 or more Skill Cards (except when discarding down to his hand limit), you may draw 1 Treachery Card to reduce the number of cards he discards by 1.

Specifically, it's a matter of MUST vs. FORCED TO. The former still implies it can be by choice or otherwise. The latter sounds more like the 0-str Treacheries...
Quote:
When a player chooses to discard this card, he draws 1 Mutiny Card
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Star Fox
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Keep busy to keep happy.
badge
If you have fun, then even if you lose you still win!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick and accurate response.
This is why I love you guys

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.