Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've run this game twice, the first time being with 21 people who were new to the game, but this was a group of friends and friends of friends.

I'm planning on running 2R1B at Geekway to the West, which is May 15th-18th in St. Louis. I will be using the Print 'n Play/Playtest set I received back in September from Sean, so no new roles/role information on cards.

Any suggestions/tips? This will be my first Con as well and I'm looking forward to it.

I planned on primarily just teaching and helping with rules issues, although if things went well I was planning on hoping into a game. Should I just stick with moderating and not worry about playing? (I'm dying to play this game again so that will be hard).

How do you handle roles and including more complicated interactions when your play group will evolve/change from game to game? I really don't want to just do basic roles for 2+ hours as that will get stale for those who wish to stick around.

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Rqthstar
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
I can feel the thunder that's breaking in your heart
badge
This never happened
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
I've run this game twice, the first time being with 21 people who were new to the game, but this was a group of friends and friends of friends.

I'm planning on running 2R1B at Geekway to the West, which is May 15th-18th in St. Louis. I will be using the Print 'n Play/Playtest set I received back in September from Sean, so no new roles/role information on cards.

Any suggestions/tips? This will be my first Con as well and I'm looking forward to it.

I planned on primarily just teaching and helping with rules issues, although if things went well I was planning on hoping into a game. Should I just stick with moderating and not worry about playing? (I'm dying to play this game again so that will be hard).

How do you handle roles and including more complicated interactions when your play group will evolve/change from game to game? I really don't want to just do basic roles for 2+ hours as that will get stale for those who wish to stick around.

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks!

This is a timely thread for me since I'm planning to run 2R1B at GCOM Game Days on May 2nd and 3rd. I've been bouncing ideas around with Natsume and here are some things we've come up with so far:

- Considering making new cards with role text if the new PnP files won't be available by then. This is a lot of work and would probably mean going without graphics so I'm not sure about this, but it's the easiest way to make sure people will remember what their roles do.

- On the other hand, it's important that people know what every role does, not just their own, so they know what to watch out for in the game. For this I am thinking about bringing a whiteboard or flipboard where I can write out roles and 1-sentence descriptions of them, and then use markers to indicate which are in the game. It's an over-engineered solution but over-engineering seems appropriate for a convention.

- Something that doesn't require a bunch of material would be simply giving a lot of forethought into the rolesets you want to play with, write them out beforehand, and have them available. This way you have a clear path for ramping up the experience, you don't spend time deliberating on what roles to use, and you have already practiced the explanations and know the potential interactions. Once you are left with a group of comfortable regulars that want to experiment, you can throw that out.

- In fact the 4.0 rulebook has some suggestions for this, which you are free to use but I have found that for people that are generally familiar with social deduction, I like to ramp things up much quicker than the suggested rolesets do.

- That said, I still prefer the 6-minute intro game where I am not playing. I find that to be faster than trying to teach and answer everyone's questions about "what can I do again?" and at the end of those 6 minutes everyone gets it and is ready for more.

Hope that all helps. If we are able to successfully get it going I will report back with what worked and what didn't.

Also, I highly recommend coordinating with SailingChris who is a 2R1B veteran and will be there. It's much easier to explain and direct the game when you have help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Rqthstar
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
This never happened
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:

For this specific issue I have tried sitting out for a game so I can help the new players ease in to a more complicated game, and that has worked ok. I think having a public display of what the roles are and what they do will be a bigger help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slathe
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It might be easier if you have a projector and laptop to do a power point and project the roles on the wall? You can make a slide per playset you're using with all the rules listed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some great suggestions, thanks Alan.

Re-printing the cards with the new versions (if they're out by then), is not really feasible. Way too busy at this point to sink that much time into this (5 month old, work, developing my own design, etc.).

The white board idea is a good one. Will have to see if I can borrow one from someone.

So, do most people play when they run 2R1B? I know when Alan (Gerding) usually runs 2R1B at Cons, he just moderates. I assumed that was typical for most people running this game but maybe not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Rqthstar
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
This never happened
mbmbmbmbmb
Slathe wrote:
It might be easier if you have a projector and laptop to do a power point and project the roles on the wall? You can make a slide per playset you're using with all the rules listed.

That sounds amazing. I will have to ask the Game Days organizers about whether this is feasible. Unfortunately, I don't have my own projector.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slathe
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rathstar wrote:
Slathe wrote:

That sounds amazing. I will have to ask the Game Days organizers about whether this is feasible. Unfortunately, I don't have my own projector.

Surely your company has one that you can "requisition" for the weekend whistle

(and uhm, actually, if not, the local library might loan them out. Ours around here will sometimes loan out technology)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
In order to mod, you need to know the game and the roles well.

Start with a core group of people, teach them the basics. Then when you add in complex roles and random strangers wander into the game, the "veterans" can help out confused new players. Don't worry, nothing in the game is too complex, plus you're introducing it to actual gamers, so that helps.

Just keep mixing up the roles and keep people having fun.

Quote:
Should I just stick with moderating and not worry about playing?
When I run this at conventions and other things that non-gamers go to (picnics and stuff), I've ALWAYS played in all the games. It's totally possible. Mostly because I would be extremely bored just modding. It's not nearly as fun to watch as Werewolf, given the two rooms and the whispering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Rqthstar
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
This never happened
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
So, do most people play when they run 2R1B? I know when Alan (Gerding) usually runs 2R1B at Cons, he just moderates. I assumed that was typical for most people running this game but maybe not.

When running 2R1B at game nights I play in almost every game outside of the 6-minute intro games. The first couple times I hosted 2R1B, I'd start in one room and my veteran 2R1B buddy Clyde would start in the other room so that each room would have someone to get things started just in case everyone was too timid or confused to try anything.

When running 2R1B at the con I might spend more time outside the game depending on the needs of the players. I'm not really sure what to expect yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Rqthstar
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
This never happened
mbmbmbmbmb
oh I almost forgot. I assume since it's a con that everyone will have a badge with their name prominently displayed. Just in case, bring name tags. It improves the experience immensely if you can say "I think Bob is the Bomber" and not "I think that tall guy with the wavy hair and blue shirt is the Bomber. What do you mean which tall guy with the wavy hair and blue shirt? He has those funky eyebrows... I think he walked with a limp? Uh, send me back to the other room and I'll get a better description."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent Emme
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Holy shit, rebuilding your games collection is expensive!
badge
Phelanpt Feb 11, 2:15 PM: evils have mostly stood by and watch goods fall. except for emme. she's spinning them round and round.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wear something bright/colorful so you're easy to find as the moderator.

Bring stopwatches so each room can keep track of time. Cheap ones will do just fine.

When counting players, Alan likes to hand each player a card (doesn't matter what it is) and then collects all the cards back - it's easier than trying to count people themselves.

Save the harder roles for later in the day when people have already played 7 games and want something to spice up the game. If the role can't be explained in 2 sentences, don't use it until much later.

People love the Zombie role. They just do. Break it out at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to run this at conventions also.

My biggest concern has been drift. For a large game like this I see a lot of people deciding they don't like their role or the game and just walking away (hopefully setting their card down first) during the round. Has anyone had an issue with this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mmazala wrote:
Wear something bright/colorful so you're easy to find as the moderator.

Bring stopwatches so each room can keep track of time. Cheap ones will do just fine.

When counting players, Alan likes to hand each player a card (doesn't matter what it is) and then collects all the cards back - it's easier than trying to count people themselves.

Save the harder roles for later in the day when people have already played 7 games and want something to spice up the game. If the role can't be explained in 2 sentences, don't use it until much later.

People love the Zombie role. They just do. Break it out at some point.

Great ideas. I don't own anything bright/colorful, maybe I'll wear a Blues jersey (doubt we will see many hockey jerseys in a con full of gamers).

Concerning, Zombie, my group of 21 gamers hated it. We realized half-way through it was broken and basically everyone should just commit to becoming Zombies so we all win. I wouldn't mind trying it again but I know if I have some of my vets there they will groan.

Also, concerning roles like Zombie and Hot Potato, does anyone have any suggestions on how to facilitate co-reveals without giving anything away in a convention environment? Like, If I see two people co-revealing and one whispers to the other in a Zombie game, well clearly, they're both infected. When playing with my group we usually took people off to the side and tried to reveal privately which helped (although not always).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent Emme
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Phelanpt Feb 11, 2:15 PM: evils have mostly stood by and watch goods fall. except for emme. she's spinning them round and round.
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
Also, concerning roles like Zombie and Hot Potato, does anyone have any suggestions on how to facilitate co-reveals without giving anything away in a convention environment? Like, If I see two people co-revealing and one whispers to the other in a Zombie game, well clearly, they're both infected. When playing with my group we usually took people off to the side and tried to reveal privately which helped (although not always).

There's something in the rulebook called the Privacy Promise variant:

Privacy Promise
Some players prefer to have guaranteed privacy whenever doing any card sharing or color sharing. The Privacy Promise rule variant forces all players to do any card sharing or color sharing in a secluded private area away from the prying eyes of other players. This works really well when playing with any characters that might give away their identity when others witness consensual revealing (e.g. Zombie, Hot Potato, Identity Thief, Body Snatcher, Werewolf, etc.)

If all reveals are done in private, then it's easier to cover up Zombie, Hot Potato, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mmazala wrote:
charlest wrote:

Privacy Promise
Some players prefer to have guaranteed privacy whenever doing any card sharing or color sharing. The Privacy Promise rule variant forces all players to do any card sharing or color sharing in a secluded private area away from the prying eyes of other players. This works really well when playing with any characters that might give away their identity when others witness consensual revealing (e.g. Zombie, Hot Potato, Identity Thief, Body Snatcher, Werewolf, etc.)

If all reveals are done in private, then it's easier to cover up Zombie, Hot Potato, etc.

Yes, we did that when I ran it previously but it was at someone's house so it was easier. In a Con environment, when we're just in a big area, do you typically use this rule and if so, how?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent Emme
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
mmazala wrote:
charlest wrote:

Privacy Promise

Yes, we did that when I ran it previously but it was at someone's house so it was easier. In a Con environment, when we're just in a big area, do you typically use this rule and if so, how?

I don't use this variant in my games because I love to sneak up on other players and eavesdrop, but if the moderator announces it as a rule, then the players have to follow it, no?

A big area also makes it harder for players to watch everyone, so you'll have that working in your favor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.