Subject: Retail box almost equivalent to Wave 1? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shawn Hubbard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Has anyone unboxed a retail box yet? I'm hearing that retail includes things like the KS exclusive hero tokens, incomplete quests, etc. If that's true, I can't imagine recommending the retail box to anyone - without having to do a lot of "that's not in there, that's coming later, etc."

I wonder how MCG is going to address this? Maybe all the KS exclusives are addons in the next KS? That's the only thing that makes sense to me at this point.

MCG, if you're still reading here, are there plans for a second print run that corrects this? Or should I just tell my friends to wait until the next KS? The latter really sucks for retailers but I can't see a way around it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bren Mayhugh
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the retail box and I got to say that I am disappointed for the exact same reasons you state. I have 8 hero tokens, but three of those heroes are 'kickstarter exclusives' so I can never get those and will be reminded that I have unplayable tokens everytime I play... Also a couple of quests are incomplete without the KS additions so I not even sure how to handle that!?!

I understand that the rules are rough - I couldn't have figured out how to play without three videos and a bunch of additional FAQs. That's a repairable fix in all honestly, but obviously holes in the retail version of the game is not

I hope that an additional KS will happen that will allow me to add on or purchase those KS only additional heroes/monsters since I would like the company to get the extra money as oppose to a Kickstarter selling the game for 400+ dollars

B
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
jygro wrote:
... Also a couple of quests are incomplete without the KS additions so I not even sure how to handle that!?!

Which quests? Looking to get educated. Thx.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cozzolino
United States
Lebanon
Virginia
flag msg tools
Skald isnt exclusive. You can buy it later i think.
As for the other 2, you weren't screwed out of 2 heros, just got extra stuff you dont need. I would rather have stuff i dont need than not have stuff i do.
I agree about the quests and stuff like that. Most quests that chain to a quest out of the box chain to a quest in box or another not in box. So not that big of a deal. May be one or 2 that are 'unfinishable' quests. I really believe the game should be listed as Myth board game starter set. Because that's what it is. There is enough in the box to play the game and have fun, but referencing stuff not in the game is another thing. Yardu spawning enemies not in the game is an issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The hero tokens being in the retail box is apparently as it was more efficient to have them on the cardboard sheet included in the game, than to do it separately. I'd presume in any future print-runs that they won't be there, but that's speculation. Bit of a tease though...

It's my understanding that anything marked 'kickstarter exclusive' is likely to be available through the Myth expansion KS and any others thereafter, except a couple of the less important things like the torchbearer/twilight knight. The druid is definitely in the works and will be the same, or near enough the same, deck as the Spriggan.

Speculatively, the expansion being kickstartered is the one including the Journeyman level for the heroes. If so, then it will be for all of the heroes, so I should imagine it's highly likely that the exclusive ones from ks #1 will be made available again at cost. I'm less sure on the hunter though for anyone that's getting him with Recon.

In terms of the quests...Of the ones I've seen commented on I think everything that's missing is scheduled for retail release anyway. I hold the right to be wrong though

--

TLDR: I think it'll mostly work itself out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin West
United States
Woodford
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so first off, big fan of the product myth w/ regards to a captain level pledge.

at retail it's a bit of a hard sell for "value". for the most part you get everything you "need" and then a bunch of extra stuff that will just confuse you. but the biggest problem imo is that the base game doesnt come w/ a consistent enemy set. you get a mix of buggers and grubbers and a random skeleton. if they would have only included 1 full set it would have been a better deal and then just remove the stuff that isnt necessary for the base game.

i think the team packaged this for KS purposes and then just didnt make a variant for retail? or somethign equally as crazy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vazzucious wrote:

As for the other 2, you weren't screwed out of 2 heros, just got extra stuff you dont need. I would rather have stuff i dont need than not have stuff i do.

It's a matter of perception. Including items that work with things the consumer can't get is, generally, going to create negative feelings. Not for everyone - you're witness to that - but for some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Belt
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mistermannindy wrote:
jygro wrote:
... Also a couple of quests are incomplete without the KS additions so I not even sure how to handle that!?!

Which quests? Looking to get educated. Thx.

You can find that info in this thread post. Goes in detail naming the quest chains that are complete and incomplete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Hubbard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Idaho11 wrote:
vazzucious wrote:

It's a matter of perception. Including items that work with things the consumer can't get is, generally, going to create negative feelings. Not for everyone - you're witness to that - but for some.

Exactly. I just know that - at least within my circle - if a game was bought at retail and included references to things that don't exist and can't be obtained outside of KickBay we'd be annoyed.

But it is what it is now. I'm just curious if a second print run is planned. I can't feel good recommending the retail box in its current state, which is a shame because I really enjoy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shakka
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of which ks exclusives heroes we speak?

Trickster and?

Skald isnt exclusive, Spriggan isnt (only the Spriggan model is).

There is a quest expansion pack in retail in which the missing quests are i guess.

Trickster hero will nearly certainly be in the next kickstarter, as there will be the upgraded classes, too.

Anything else missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Hubbard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
The Spriggan is KS exclusive. There is a Druid coming (likely with the next KS) but it doesn't change the fact that there are two heroes in the box a retail buyer can't get without Kickstarter or eBay. And really, until we know a ship date of the retail stuff, may as well include Skald in there for now though that will eventually rectify.

Still doesn't change the question: will there be a second printing that doesn't reference stuff not available to retail?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Hubbard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Budsworth wrote:
VoicelessFaces wrote:
Idaho11 wrote:
vazzucious wrote:

Exactly. I just know that - at least within my circle - if a game was bought at retail and included references to things that don't exist and can't be obtained outside of KickBay we'd be annoyed.

But it is what it is now. I'm just curious if a second print run is planned. I can't feel good recommending the retail box in its current state, which is a shame because I really enjoy the game.

They were trying to save a buck at the printers. I get that. But the communication of what they were doing only reached out so far, and now it's kinda wide open for interpretation. A poor decision, but to be honest if my company was only 4-5 people big I might have looked at the numbers and saw sense in it too.

I'm not really faulting them for it - well I guess I am a bit because it seems baffling to me, but either way I'm just curious if they plan a second print run. Otherwise I'll just tell anyone interested in the game to wait for the next KS (or play my copy ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Larkin
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'd say the fact that Coolstuffinc hasn't sold out of their limited stock in the first couple weeks since Myth been available speaks for itself. And that's at 30% off retail price. It's a shame, as I would have loved for this game to take off. I'm guessing most will pass, or if anything, they'll wait for the next KS in August.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shakka
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So it would be ok if the hero tokens were just left out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carr
United States
Ruckersville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
LordCyler wrote:

I'd say the fact that Coolstuffinc hasn't sold out of their limited stock in the first couple weeks since Myth been available speaks for itself. And that's at 30% off retail price. It's a shame, as I would have loved for this game to take off. I'm guessing most will pass, or if anything, they'll wait for the next KS in August.

People have been quite polarized by the game, and even sifting through all the threads here it is difficult to distill an "informed opinion" as there are many which conflict.

I hope that it will pick up as more enemies/options are available. Also if they make a 2nd edition base set with the new rules.. cards for next holiday season it may turn around.

I was not KS, but picked up a captain pledge minus the 1 per backer items and have subsequently purchased another base set. I am thoroughly enjoying my sessions with the game even with its faults...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Picouet
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game.
Wave 2 will come soon and completely blow us away!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orlando Neto
Brazil
Rio das Ostras
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jygro wrote:
I bought the retail box and I got to say that I am disappointed for the exact same reasons you state. I have 8 hero tokens, but three of those heroes are 'kickstarter exclusives' so I can never get those and will be reminded that I have unplayable tokens everytime I play...

Maybe they just added the tokens as a reminder: "loser, you didn't get the KS version haha"

Ps: I don't have the KS version nether the retail one, and I ain't even mad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Larkin
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plumpman wrote:
I love this game.
Wave 2 will come soon and completely blow us away!

Very mixed feelings on this one. I'm looking forward to some variety and extra monsters, but I am not looking forward to how much errata, FAQ, and general brokenness will arrive with all these extras.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
I seriously doubt any miniature they have molded will be exclusive. It's simply too expensive, even with the astronomical Kickstarter total they received, to make a plastic miniature mold and only make 5000 copies for backers.

I did not back this game and I am happy to have extra hero tokens in case they're one day available at retail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
I seriously doubt any miniature they have molded will be exclusive. It's simply too expensive, even with the astronomical Kickstarter total they received, to make a plastic miniature mold and only make 5000 copies for backers.

They have probably made metal molds (see complaints about the Torchbearer being metal elsewhere on the forums). Although some seem to be exclusive to KS in MCG's eyes, some such as the Twilight Knight will not be available again. Just look at Zombicide for an example of plastic molds being broken after exclusives have been made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Dormammu wrote:

I did not back this game and I am happy to have extra hero tokens in case they're one day available at retail.

This is often pointed out about molds for exclusives but it isn't actually true. The high quality steel molds are expensive and last nearly forever, but you don't need them for a limited run. Much cheaper molds can be used for short runs they just wear out faster, but who cares is the mold is only rated for 5,000-10,000 impressions if that's all you need it for?

As far as the retail box is concerned it's the skeleton that summons things that aren't included that seems to be the biggest oversight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Larkin
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cormor321 wrote:
Dormammu wrote:

As far as the retail box is concerned it's the skeleton that summons things that aren't included that seems to be the biggest oversight.

He does not summon anything. He has a chance to resurrect (bring back) an undead captain.

I agree they should have chosen a mini-boss that did not interact with creatures not included in the base game, but he isn't actually missing anything to play him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
LordCyler wrote:
cormor321 wrote:
Dormammu wrote:

He does not summon anything. He has a chance to resurrect (bring back) an undead captain.

I agree they should have chosen a mini-boss that did not interact with creatures not included in the base game, but he isn't actually missing anything to play him.

Ok, the way it sounded in some of the other threads was sort of like summoning.

So if you played him and the conditions are met for him to resurrect a creature do the rules read that its optional? If not I still don't really see how it would count as not missing anything. That would be like playing Zombicide but not having the rules or minis for the runners so whenever a runner card was flipped say oh well, I guess nothing spawns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.