Carlos Moreno Serrano
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
Join us every Tuesday night at the Woking Gaming Club!
badge
Interested in knowing in which games I'm working at the moment? Send me a geekmail to discover!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi microbadge designers!

Our game club Woking Gaming Club has just turned 4 years old and I (president and founder) wanted to do something nice for the club, which is absolutely free to join and enjoy and we welcome everybody.

So I would like to commission a microbadge for our club. I can only pay in geekgold. I have 84.21 geekgold at the moment (it was hard to collect!). I am offering 50 geekgold to the best microbadge and 30 to the runner-up. I hope I can gather 16 geekgold to buy both microbadges myself!

Historically we used to eat gammon at our local pub while waiting for people to turn up, as they had a great value deal for gammon and a pint for a fiver, but after 4 years I would have to pay twice as much for the same.

What I am saying is that something gammon-related would be well received. However I don't want to constrain creativity so any concept is valid.

The club members will vote here in the Geek for their favourite badges and I will transfer the geekgold as promised once a choice has been made.

Just to inspire you a bit further, David Estall
David Estall
United Kingdom
Bisley
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
created Project Gammon, where lots of geek celebrities congratulated our club on their 4th anniversary Project Gammon and he also previously created the below as a surprise to the club members: QR code surprise.

You can submit your entries at the official geeklist:
Contest entries to Woking Game Club 4th Anniversary's Microbadge design contest

Feel free to geekmail me about it.

Deadline for submissions: Sunday 18th May at 23:59h UK time.

Deadline for voting: Friday 30th May at 19:00 UK time.

Winner announced on Friday 30th May at 20:00 UK time
(to give me time to count the votes. If many microbadges, then later on Friday).

Deadline extended for a few days to allow the MB designers to enter their designs.

Apologies for not sticking to the dates; I have been crazy busy with life changes.

Many thanks to all of you!

Carlos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Australia
Live in Perth, Australia
Born and bred in Britain
flag msg tools
...into Microbadge ;-)
badge
mb
One question about the 'competition' aspect of this.

How are you going to count votes?

First-past-the-post (FPTP)?
(ie the way Polls work on BGG)

Or Alternative Vote (AV)?

Or something else?

Reason I ask is...

Say one person produces two slightly different versions of a potential microbadge, let's call them "A1" and "A2". And say another person produces just one version of their potential microbadge, let's call it "B1".

Then the poll...
[] A1
[] A2
[] B1

Say you get:
A1 - 4 votes
A2 - 3 votes
B1 - 5 votes

If you use FPTP, then "B1" wins.

But (assuming that those who voted "A2" would have put "A1" as their second choice), then with AV, you'd reapportion the "A2" votes (since "A2" was the least popular) and put them against "A1", which means with AV system, A1 would win.

Just wondered as the standard poll system on BGG (working as FPTP) makes the results a little odd if there are two similar choices.

Here's a video explaining the problems of FPTP for anyone who's interested.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7tWHJfhiyo
(at 5:00 it mentions the spoiler effect which is what I mentioned above)

And explaining AV:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y3jE3B8HsE

[And yes, I know I'm making this more complicated than it really is, but I still find it interesting to know - I expect you'll just use a standard BGG poll, so fair enough ]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Moreno Serrano
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
Join us every Tuesday night at the Woking Gaming Club!
badge
Interested in knowing in which games I'm working at the moment? Send me a geekmail to discover!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Simon,

I was just simply thinking on 1 comment per microbadge and count the number of thumbs they get from our team members (we are not that many, so it should be easy to manually count them). Anybody in BGG would be encouraged to thumb the microbadges to show popularity and to break ties (as we are only a few people in the club, only 40 members).

As everybody gets to thumb as many microbadges as they like (even all of them!), I believe FPTP would make sense, otherwise it would be too complicated and could lead to making somebody that makes many versions a certain winner.

The problem I see with my system is that people can be disappointed or think the contest is rigged if they see that the one with most thumbs is not the winner, because we only count the members' votes, but if we post here the rules, that should be fair to everyone.

Spotting who is winning at a certain point in time is not trivial and would add to the tension.

I will publish a deadline for the submissions and another for the voting very soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Australia
Live in Perth, Australia
Born and bred in Britain
flag msg tools
...into Microbadge ;-)
badge
mb
Ok, makes sense, thanks

Great fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.