Shanen Opolis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a website that might have a collection of photos of modern military hardware/personnel. I'm sure the government (in many countries) has an incentive to spread free images of their impressive firepower and well-trained servicemen.

I've tried looking at the official sites for the army or marines, but they just seem to have a few random pictures here and there. And if you just google the stuff, it's impossible to tell what's free for use.

I'm looking for pictures of tanks, jets, ships, troops in action, whatever. Does anyone have any leads or suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flickr Commons might be a good bet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb

There's a DVD I bought a number of years ago with public domain WW2 pictures on it. I'm willing to bet something like that might exist for newer photos.

You can also try here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:United_States_military_images

"This category is for classifing images, graphics, and photographs taken or made by members of the U.S. military or Department of Defense during the course of the person's official duties. Under United States copyright law, such images are public domain."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanen Opolis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Both of these are great, thank you! :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo van Duuren
Netherlands
flag msg tools
If you use Google image search, you can use search help and filter on licenses. There's some CC0 (public domain) work, but a lot more of CC1 and other attribution type licenses. Images posted on Flickr usually state which license the work falls under.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United Kingdom
Bishops Stortford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Modern... hmm tricky.

WW1 is reasonably well served by Flickr Commons and also http://www.europeana1914-1918.eu/en. Always check the rights associated with the image - decent sites will include it near or next to the image.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.