Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Nedeljkovic
Serbia
Paracin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played several two player games with the Dark city expansion. Schemes were: Steal the Weaponized Plutonium, Capture Baby Hope, Detonate the Helicarrier and Transform Citizens into Demons, Mastermind was Apocalypse , Villains were Four Horseman and Streets of New York and the Henchman was Phalanx. And we have still to lose a game of Marvel Legendary. I thought this expansion was suppose to make the game more difficult and it's was still a breeze! I don't understand why the reviewers say they have yet to beat this expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shader
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
are you cherry picking your heroes or randomizing them?

are you using any house rules or homebrewed heroes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you find it easy then good for you. Make it more difficult for yourselves. Play with a hand size of 5 instead of 6 and increase villain power by 1. Still too easy, increase power again!

Who cares whether other reviewers are finding it more difficult, go out and make it more brutal. The important part is that you enjoy the game for yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Nedeljkovic
Serbia
Paracin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
therealtheshader wrote:
are you cherry picking your heroes or randomizing them?

are you using any house rules or homebrewed heroes?

We're picking the heroes so they have some synergy and are avoiding Black Widow on the count of her being overpowered. For Example: we had Nick Fury, Iron Man, Thor, Captain America adn Hawkeye as one setup and Wolverine, Domiono, Nightcrawler, Storm and Gambit as an other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Nedeljkovic
Serbia
Paracin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BertMcCloud wrote:
If you find it easy then good for you. Make it more difficult for yourselves. Play with a hand size of 5 instead of 6 and increase villain power by 1. Still too easy, increase power again!

Who cares whether other reviewers are finding it more difficult, go out and make it more brutal. The important part is that you enjoy the game for yourself.

The problem is that the games started to bore us. The mechanics are fun, but there's no tension apart for the first 4-5 turns when the villains pile up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, I find that the game is prone to pretty big difficulty swings--every now and then a game will smack you around pretty good. This is especially true with certain combinations. But yes, for the most part, it's just not a terribly difficult game. Playing by the official base rules, I've probably won 80% of games I've played. Dark City did help, but still have a win rate well above 50%.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Floating World wrote:
BertMcCloud wrote:

The problem is that the games started to bore us. The mechanics are fun, but there's no tension apart for the first 4-5 turns when the villains pile up.

To me, if the game was coop, there would be very little tension, as it's very hard to lose the game (especially if you're picking your heroes).

But since the game is a competition between you and the other players, it has tension in you trying to be more super than them.

Seems like your games are pure coop - if that's the case, then yes, you're probably not going to lose because you'll work together and not worry about the other person scoring. I'd recommend treating it as a competitive game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Nedeljkovic
Serbia
Paracin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Idaho11 wrote:
Floating World wrote:
BertMcCloud wrote:

To me, if the game was coop, there would be very little tension, as it's very hard to lose the game (especially if you're picking your heroes).

But since the game is a competition between you and the other players, it has tension in you trying to be more super than them.

Seems like your games are pure coop - if that's the case, then yes, you're probably not going to lose because you'll work together and not worry about the other person scoring. I'd recommend treating it as a competitive game.

I don't like semi co-ops. I bought the game because the reviewers said that you can ignore semi co-op, play pure co-op and still have fun, especially with Dark City, which, they said, was almost unbeatable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Floating World wrote:

I don't like semi co-ops. I bought the game because the reviewers said that you can ignore semi co-op, play pure co-op and still have fun, especially with Dark City, which, they said, was almost unbeatable.

Well I disagree strongly with those reviews, and I think this might not be the game for you. It's pretty easy as a pure coop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shader
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cherry picking heroes makes the game very easy. Go with the randomizer, then instead of the perfect team for the job, you have to get by with what is there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Nedeljkovic
Serbia
Paracin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
therealtheshader wrote:
Cherry picking heroes makes the game very easy. Go with the randomizer, then instead of the perfect team for the job, you have to get by with what is there.

I think that playing that way would kill what little fun is left in the game for us. I'll have to get rid of it's, it seems it's not the game for us. Thank all for the feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is not a pure co-op. You can play it as a pure co-op, and many people do, but it will not be challenging, as you've discovered.

The one exception to that rule might be Galactus. Galactus is really the only Mastermind I've had any regular difficulty defeating, and it has usually required a mostly co-op approach to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Washington
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the game because you can make it as difficult as you want. I prefer to make it extremely difficult, so I lose fairly often. I would never lose On the default settings of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark City for my money made things even easier. Apart from Apocalypse. I think it probably boils down to having more potential heroes -> more potential combos, stronger heroes in general (Iceman has insane synergy just with his own cards, but get another Ranged hero in the mix and look out), not seeing crap (you know who) that often. Playing with random heroes that is.

So far, Apocalypse has been the big dog, Galactus has been easier than him. 20 Attack looks high, but due to Cosmic Threat, he's regularly 8 or 11 Attack needed (or that one time when he was a 2, then attacked again for 20 with the 34 Attack hand). Apo has ebil Tactics, especially Immortal and Undefeated, while Galactus's Tactics are more akin to base game Mastermind Tactics, mostly helpful.

Addendum: Schemes. Only Organized Crime Wave gets top billing as far as difficulty goes, rest of Dark City Schemes are on the easy side. So tougher Schemes (Legacy Virus, Super Hero Civil War and OCW) get diluted as well, at least the way I play, 24 Schemes, each gets used once in rotation, so that leaves many more easy Schemes played than tough Schemes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.