Hide
15 Posts

Dux Bellorum» Forums » General

Subject: Dux Bellorum with 100+ Saxons vs 100+ Vikings rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lawrence Ofarabia
msg tools
I have about 120 28mm vikings and am working on my Saxon army. I was wondering how DB handles this many miniatures. I'm not looking for a skirmish rule set but larger battles and was thinking about DB. From what I have read it sounds like I'd like it. Just curious about basing too since other than some command stands all the minis are based individually. So I think I can use a movement tray too. In the future if this rule set could handle up to 1066 AD that would be great too. Just want to clarify some things before I buy the rule book. Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United Kingdom
Worthing
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello! Yes you'd want to use movement trays ... Most armies are between 6 and 10 units and you'll need one movement tray per unit so maybe use about 8-10 models per base/unit? The actual number in a unit won't matter for gameplay other than movement being based around base widths, so the bigger the units frontage, the bigger the table you'll need. Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United Kingdom
Worthing
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and regarding using the rules up to 1066, a lot of players seem to be doing so. You'd need to tweak army lists a bit, but I seem to recall a few other threads here on BGG about this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Padraic Kirby
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use this supplier Warbases. in UK for my bases for Dux Britanniarum. Very reasonable and very high quality. Highly recommended. I use 1" (25mm) fender washers to single base my 28mm figs and then use the 2 Penny slot (26mm) multi figure bases to temporarily mount for DBell and DBrit. Very precise fit. And did I say cheap.

http://www.warbases.co.uk/

Pat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Ofarabia
msg tools
Thanks all, thats what i was looking for. Appreciate the responses!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Ofarabia
msg tools
Please bear with me. Since I am pretty much done with my vikings, all indivually bases and have movement trays built. They are 6 figures wide with 3 ranks. I was thinking of modifying those movement trays, taking off the last rank and possibly one or two from the second rank and filling the holes with 20x20 bases with terrain with places to put shields as hit markers. Does this sound reasonable? If so I'd want to go the same route with my Saxons and eventually Normans. Thanks again for your help. Buying the rules soon I hope!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United Kingdom
Worthing
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How wide are your bases? Remember move distances are based on base widths so that will affect things. Assuming your figs are on 20mm wide frontages, that gives an overall base width of 12cm and I know some players use that in their games so it should work if you have a fair-sized table. Personally I'd remove that third rank, but it won't affect gameplay too much so if you like the look, keep it

You could use one of the holes to store a dice in to track cohesion or the shield markers as you suggest, that'd keep some clutter off the table.

For what it's worth, my 28s are on slightly smaller stands... http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1060732/dux-bellorum. They're about 9cm wide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Padraic Kirby
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should really buy the rules before you build the movement trays. Use the basing recommendations in the rules. That way you will be able to play your armies against other players that have used the same basing system.

Also, never use superglue in basing. With all the best intentions, you will re-base at some point.

Pat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United Kingdom
Worthing
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
agrippa wrote:
Also, never use superglue in basing. With all the best intentions, you will re-base at some point.

Absolutely agree on that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Ofarabia
msg tools
Thanks guys right now my movement trays are about 120cm and my table is 4x8 ft. I might go ahead and make them smaller. I have enough painting to still do before i get to making more or modifying my trays. Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Clarke
msg tools
Just seen this thread.

I've played pefectly happily with 120mm frontage units on a 6*4. Having space on the back row for marking the current strength sounds like an excellent idea.

Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Ofarabia
msg tools
Recieved the rules in the mail Saturday, read once already and I like what I see. Going to make a couple movement trays as examples to see what I like best and to use the majority of my miniatures. Will just need to work out a later Saxon and Viking army list but shouldn't be too hard.

One question and I think I know the answer. I can mixe armored and unarmored figures in the same unit because it will be classified as Shieldwall or Warrior etc....Am I correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United Kingdom
Worthing
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mix away ... so long as it's clear what units are Shieldwall/Warriors and Ordinary/Noble you should use whatever models you fancy. Some players might go for more armoured models in a Noble unit, but it makes no difference to playing the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United Kingdom
Worthing
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and to answer your other point ... late Saxons and Sea raiders as Vikings might work nicely (or even early Saxons for your Vikings). Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Ofarabia
msg tools
Thats a good point Dan, thanks. Was thinking of armored warriors in front line and some unarmored in rear. I will also make some units all armored and some all unarmored. I just wish I could paint faster. I wantt to start playing soon and the son is very interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.