Popular Tags: [View All]
chris ward
Scotland
Paisley
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

I find myself increasingly drawn to the idea of TI3, but in practice it would only ever see play as a 2 player game. I know there are some 2 player variants kicking around, but my question is this: is it worthwhile considering picking up TI3 if it willingly see play as a 2 player game even if it isn't the ideal format for the game

Thanks - chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
See this thread:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1159521/multiple-race-teams

My wife and I are currently playing a 2-player, 4-team game, with only a few minor rule modifications. So far so good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This should give you hope too:

Item for Geeklist "Surprisingly Good w/ 2"

I say go for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't care too much for the more fleshed-out 2-player rules, as they neutered too much of the trading/alliances. Of course, we'll ultimately see our 4-race game turns out (only 1 round in so far).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rintoul
Switzerland
Nyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No Its not worth picking up for 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitrijs Zulenkovs
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO it's not the best idea since:

1) You will not buy and bribe anyone to do the dirty job for you
2) Noone will forge an unexpected alliance\stub someone in the back\surprisingly break the agreement
3) Such fancy things as votes in the council for some nasty law, ruining the life of your enemy are not fun\don't work.

So you get no politics\diplomacy and other similar cool stuff at all, which makes the whole thing much less exciting. However if you don't like the mentioned things, it will work ok for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
siruf wrote:
IMO it's not the best idea since:

1) You will not buy and bribe anyone to do the dirty job for you
2) Noone will forge an unexpected alliance\stub someone in the back\surprisingly break the agreement
3) Such fancy things as votes in the council for some nasty law, ruining the life of your enemy are not fun\don't work.

So you get no politics\diplomacy and other similar cool stuff at all, which makes the whole thing much less exciting. However if you don't like the mentioned things, it will work ok for you.

1. When controlling two races, you do have a "minion" to do your dirty work. You simply disallow them to freely give to trade goods.

2. This can absolutely happen. There are two players, and you can have a temporary trade alliance that is broken by war.

3. There are four races, do four voting bodies, and four representatives. I think it can still be tense.

Is it as grand as a true multiplayer game? No. Is it very good, and a gray way for those who can't to have a very close experience to it? Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Campos
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My G/F and I enjoy playing this game as a 2 player game.

Cons:
-Much less dynamic player interaction without trade and wheeling and dealing during politics.
-Plays more like a wargame than a Space Statesmanship Simulator. (might actually be a pro for you, it is for me)
-Requires modification of the "out of the box" rules to work.

Pros:
-Plays MUCH faster without all the wheeling and dealing in politics. (we can finish a game in 1.5-2 hours)
-You can actually get it on the table without a PhD in Logistics or Divine Providence. Scheduling an 8-10 hour AP-fest with 5 other people makes it hard for a lot of people to actually get to play their copies of TI.

To make things more interesting we introduced some light tactical rules that we use to play out combat. When we do that it takes more like 3 hours to finish, but we still feel like it's worth it.

Anyway... if you want a good 2 player game that plays 2 players out of the box, you might consider Exodus: Proxima Centauri. Hideously ugly ship models aside I like it almost as much as I like TI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forsman
United States
Ely
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played a few games with 2 races, and 4 races... and much better two player games out their...

I would say PASS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Octopus
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
"...that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the the field of battle - victorious."
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is expensive. The setup time is long. But the 2-player game is awesome.

It is a wargame with variable player powers. Very tactical and can get intense.

Note that you can still play online even if you can't get a group together. I know at least one person who bought the game just for online play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There ARE better two-player games. But TI3 is worth experiencing, regardless of how many people you can get to the table. I say that, and it only comes out once a year or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob mackenzie
msg tools
having played this game, it is not really a 2 player game nor was it intended to be played as a 2 player, you lose so many dynamics of the game its kinda sad. However i havent looked into any of the other posts around the variants.

if you played smart, it would turn into a war game since you know that if you cripple them you win since only 1 opponent.

End of the day.... its up to you guys, since we all have different views on the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cw67q wrote:
Hi guys,

I find myself increasingly drawn to the idea of TI3, but in practice it would only ever see play as a 2 player game. I know there are some 2 player variants kicking around, but my question is this: is it worthwhile considering picking up TI3 if it willingly see play as a 2 player game even if it isn't the ideal format for the game

Thanks - chris

No.

"(-1)"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Noakes
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking for a good 2-player space empire building game, why not look at Space Empires:4x? It contains many of the elements of TI3 that survive in one-on-one play: tech trees, empire building, fleet construction; and with the expansion you can also add flagships, ground combat, racial advantages, etc... The bluffing game with decoys and hidden units is pretty awesome as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't. I don't even like it much with only four; six is great and eight is best.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. I've played it 2p to teach someone the core rules, and I've played it at all supported numbers. That said I would only ever bring t out for 6-8p.

For 2p I would much rather play something else. You can make it work, but you are now playing a sub-optimal game that doesn't really resemble TI3 any more...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris ward
Scotland
Paisley
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone for yourinput, I'll take a look at all the leads suggested. It won'the an immediate purchase anyway.

My playing partner is my 12 year old, she usually is not attracted to science fiction, greatly preferring fantasy, but to my surprise she expressed an interest in this one recently. I think she may have etched some relevant videos on youtube, maybe dice tower episodes. I'm sure she could cope at least as well as myself with the complexity (she has been playing arkham horror since 8, descent road to legend since 9 and mage knight since 11). Game length is only a problem for scheduling purposes.

Cheers chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, my wife and I play this game for the experience (we aren't big wargame-type players), and we have been enjoying our 2-player (4-race) game quite a bit. I still think it's worth owning (with the expansions) for this, as well as the hope that you'll occasionally get a bigger game on the table.

If you want a fantasy-themed epic game for two, I'd also look into War of the Ring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris ward
Scotland
Paisley
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Grant, we have War of the Ring,it is a firm favourite even though I neverget to be Sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Noakes
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what I love to read! I've just become a father, and though she's only 7 months right now, I've got high hopes of a gaming future with her. (Mage Knight at 11!)

cw67q wrote:
Thanks to everyone for yourinput, I'll take a look at all the leads suggested. It won'the an immediate purchase anyway.

My playing partner is my 12 year old, she usually is not attracted to science fiction, greatly preferring fantasy, but to my surprise she expressed an interest in this one recently. I think she may have etched some relevant videos on youtube, maybe dice tower episodes. I'm sure she could cope at least as well as myself with the complexity (she has been playing arkham horror since 8, descent road to legend since 9 and mage knight since 11). Game length is only a problem for scheduling purposes.

Cheers chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Harrop
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apatheticexecutioner wrote:
I wouldn't. I don't even like it much with only four; six is great and eight is best.

Brian

Have you ever done ten.

Not for the inexperienced or faint of heart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
I wouldn't even attempt TI3 with 2. It's going to be a straight fight to elimination, and there are much _much_ better 2-player wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Kaiser
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go for it! There is always a chance of finding Player #3! I speak of experience. First we were 2 Players, now we are 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.