Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan
United States
Lakewood
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I have a quick question regarding starting skill cards. Looking through the rulebook and FAQ I couldn't find a definitive answer, and I looked for an example in several PBF games but didn't see it: Can you start off drawing more skill cards of a color than you would on a normal turn? For example, as Starbuck, could I draw 3 Leadership cards right off the bat, under the assumption I'll be getting enough piloting/tactics cards on my future draws, or would I be limited to 1 Leadership/Engineering and have to take my other 2 cards from Tactics/Piloting?

The official rulebook states "...draws a total of 3 skill cards from among any of the cards he can draw during his Receive Skills step..." The rest of the text specifies page numbers for Receive Skills Step and who is affected by this rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked a similar question ages ago. I think the UFAQ states that your initial draw has to be a subset of what you normally draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Lakewood
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
In other words limited to 1 Leadership?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Your starting hand must be a subset of your normal five card draw (i.e. you can't draw a combination/number of cards you couldn't normally get at the start of your turn). Once the game starts, however, effects that allow a player to draw skill cards are restricted only by whether the player draws any of that color normally, the number doesn't matter at that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
skribs15 wrote:
In other words limited to 1 Leadership?

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When teaching the game, I like to phrase it as "draw 3 of your 5 cards"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biodiesel
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fizzmore wrote:
Your starting hand must be a subset of your normal five card draw (i.e. you can't draw a combination/number of cards you couldn't normally get at the start of your turn). Once the game starts, however, effects that allow a player to draw skill cards are restricted only by whether the player draws any of that color normally, the number doesn't matter at that point.

"Effects" is not to be confused with a player's normal start-of-turn draw, correct? You are referring to things like a character's ability, or perhaps a played skill card? The base game rule book explicitly states on page 9:

Quote:

1. Receive Skills Step: The current player draws the number and types of Skill Cards listed on his character sheet
Example: It is William Adama’s Receive Skills step. He looks at
his skill set, which lists 3 leadership and 2 tactics. He therefore
draws three leadership Skill Cards and two tactics cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I know there is no effects that would happen during the Receive Skill step (except limit to 1 card if you are in Sickbay).

During receive skills step and during the setup phase, when everyone but the current (i.e. starting) player draws 3 cards, the amount of cards in the character's sheet matter. All other times "skill set" refers only to the colors.

I wish FFG had originally used skill set to only refer to the colors, and give the limitations separately for the receive skill step, but as far as I remember, some unfortunate slip of words ("skill set" is used to refer to both the colors and quantities somewhere in the rulebook) goes against that simple interpretation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.