Popular Tags: [View All]
Allen OConnor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Glass Bead Board Games
badge
Read my blog
mbmbmbmbmb
I see pictures of Advanced Squad Leader and I want to be able to play it so badly. The problem is that the game looks incredibly heavy, and I haven't played anything like this before. Is there a lighter game that plays in the same fashion, and would act as a stepping stone to other squad based war games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick somers
United States
wyandotte
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about squad level, but a great WWI game that has a relatively easy to learn ruleset is Gmt clash of giants II. It's a chit pull too so solo learning games work well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zigi Hogan
United States
The Ozarks
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
What's it going to be then, eh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though you are a Liverpool supporter I guess I can help (enjoy Europe next year!).

I have recently gotten back into wargaming after quite a long absence; the last wargame I had played was Blitzkrieg and Midway.

A great way to start is with either Combat Commander: Europe or any of it's bretheren, Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! (second edition) or Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles and/or Band of Brothers: Ghost Panzer.

Only go with CC:E if you like the card driven games. I stayed away from CDG's for quite a while but after Twilight Struggle and 1989: Dawn of Freedom I warmed up quickly to them.

CoH is a good squad level game that I do enjoy emensely but it uses what I like to call a direct die roll system instead of a CRT (combat result table) and I am very partial to CRT's.

I have not yet had the opportunity to play either of the Band of Brothers games but most wargamers tend to speak highly of them.

Also see if you can luck into a copy of:

This is a great (less complex) intro into the ASL system. And I think there is enough gameplay in the various ASLSK's to last a lifetime of wargaming.

Good Luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anthony procacci
United States
salamanca
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol. Go reds!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Buckel
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on your definition of Gateway I'd go with Memoir '44 which is a card driven 'Gateway' war game. The same system is employed in BattleCry which is a Civil War era game from the same designer.

Also look at the newer 1775 Rebellion which features a stream-lined cube placement & dice rolling system. There are great videos that feature how to play both games on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
buck380 wrote:
Also look at the newer 1775 Rebellion which features a stream-lined cube placement & dice rolling system. There are great videos that feature how to play both games on BGG.

This is a great game, though totally different from the other games mentioned so far both in topic and scale. If you're interested in strategic level and non-WW2 games I'd also recommend Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan, another card-driven game that's easy to learn and very fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Martin
Canada
North Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Memoir '44. I only recently picked it up but have played maybe a dozen times and just love it. The rules are pretty simple, but it is a lot of fun. I'll definitely be picking up expansions for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chas Bernard
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Combat Commander: Europe, and all the expansions. There is so much here, you may just forget about ASL - unless you want tanks, in which case...

Give Fighting Formations: Grossdeutschland Motorized Infantry Division a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zigihogan wrote:
Even though you are a Liverpool supporter I guess I can help (enjoy Europe next year!).

I have recently gotten back into wargaming after quite a long absence; the last wargame I had played was Blitzkrieg and Midway.

A great way to start is with either Combat Commander: Europe or any of it's bretheren, Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! (second edition) or Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles and/or Band of Brothers: Ghost Panzer.

Only go with CC:E if you like the card driven games. I stayed away from CDG's for quite a while but after Twilight Struggle and 1989: Dawn of Freedom I warmed up quickly to them.

CoH is a good squad level game that I do enjoy emensely but it uses what I like to call a direct die roll system instead of a CRT (combat result table) and I am very partial to CRT's.

I have not yet had the opportunity to play either of the Band of Brothers games but most wargamers tend to speak highly of them.

Also see if you can luck into a copy of:

This is a great (less complex) intro into the ASL system. And I think there is enough gameplay in the various ASLSK's to last a lifetime of wargaming.

Good Luck!

Add Fading Glory in there as well. Marco has it as his favorite intro wargame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apenheul
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! (second edition), like Zigihogan already mentioned. It's a game that may look complex but it actually uses a very accessible action-point based system that's easy to learn. With the amount of unit types, terrains, unit status modifiers and other things in the box it feels more like what you'd expect from a deep wargame than for example Memoir '44 (which might be a little too light as a stepping stone).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apenheul wrote:
I would suggest Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! (second edition), like Zigihogan already mentioned. It's a game that may look complex but it actually uses a very accessible action-point based system that's easy to learn. With the amount of unit types, terrains, unit status modifiers and other things in the box it feels more like what you'd expect from a deep wargame than for example Memoir '44 (which might be a little too light as a stepping stone).

Somebody made an interesting comment in regards to Memoir '44 that is it more of a stopping point than a stepping stone. Either people like it but stay at that level or don't like it and don't investigate further. I think if your goal is a more traditional wargame, Memoir '44 isn't the game I would pick to start with. If all you want to do is hang out in the gateway side, the C&C system is good for that although I wouldn't pick Memoir '44 as the game to get for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Migliore
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some options:
- Band of Brothers: Ghost Panzer (big hexes,small board, rules a little harder to digest)
- Conflict of Heroes: Storms of Steel! – Kursk 1943 (hex, abstracted commanders, progressive disclosure rulebook - learn the basics add more rules when you are ready)
- Mercury/Market Garden (large counters, hex, simple rules)
- Combat Commander: Europe (card driven, hex, leaders)
- ATS Stalingrad LARGE HEX (second edition) (less complex than ASL but great historical detail)
- Panzer Grenadier: Airborne (Introductory Edition) (I think this is a decent system that is certainly easier to learn than ALS)

I think for the command & colors system, I would choose any of the others over Memoir '44.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir 44

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Migliore
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alandric wrote:
Memoir 44

Memoir 44 doesn't really offer squad level tactics, just cards to push units left, right or center and roll a bucket of dice.

Oh there is also Valor & Victory the rules are a breeze and you get squad level goodness, and it is (I think) available as a free Print-n-Play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Uhrich
United States
Dillsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ASL Starter Kit #1 has recently been reprinted. They've got it a CSI for $21. If your goal is to play ASL, that is a good and cheap place to start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Migliore
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The U wrote:
ASL Starter Kit #1 has recently been reprinted. They've got it a CSI for $21. If your goal is to play ASL, that is a good and cheap place to start.

True! Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit #1 is back in print after a long out of print phase and that is really the starting point if you want to give it a go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Linden
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Social Justice Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also recommend Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42. It's really the best game for learning tactical games, because there's a nice, gentle learning curve in the scenarios, which introduce new rules as they're required, and by the time you've played them all, you're familiar with a number of important wargame conventions. I can't think of any other game that does this as well.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I would strongly recommend against Combat Commander: Europe and the associated series, at least for your first game. Part of this is personal preference: I absolutely loathe these games, as I don't feel like you have much control over what's happening. But more importantly, I don't think they're great for learning how to play wargames, as the system is very different from any other tactical wargame I've ever played. It's "card-driven," but its card system does not prepare you for other CDGs. It's tactical, but it constrains your activity a lot. It's weirdly abstract, and it's not intuitive the way many other tactical games are. If this were my first wargame, I doubt I would have ever tried a second one. YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're interested in ASL, pick up the starter kit. I bought a couple games to get myself warmed up to play GBoH. I ended up not very interested in the other games and just hopped right into GBoH. It was difficult to learn at first and I expect ASL will be as well but your interest will carry you through it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.