Andrew Sekela
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have four plays under my belt and my only real complaint so far is getting stuck with a really crummy hand. (Otherwise I think the game is a blast.) Granted it doesn't happen that often (I didn't keep exact track but I think it was once or twice per game). But when it does it just plain sucks.

Other than the Huddle Action Card, I'm not aware of any way to voluntarily discard cards. (If I'm missing something please let me know! Maybe I overlooked a rule...)

So my simple house rule to fix this is by creating a "Pass" action. You discard up to three cards and then end your turn. I might give this a try on my next game.

Just curious if others have run into similar problems or play with a similar house rule...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think discarding three cards is way too strong.

There's a reason why the action doesn't exist, and I think it's to force the player with the bad hand to rush a round. If you're just discarding and drawing, likely your opponent is doing the same, and the game will be longer and less tense. The last game I played I drew six threes in the first half; that sucks rocks. Forcing contests not only clears your hand up but also pushes the round forward.

Your opponent doesn't know what your hand is like, so they will likely play based on your played cards so far. In my case, even after having played 2 threes, there was no way for my opponent to see yet another 3 coming.

I'm sure there will be quite a bit of discussion on this topic as the game sees more play, but I still say three is too good. One and end your turn? Sure. I'll tell you what though, if I see someone do that I'm DEFINITELY going to press them, just like I would when I see them play Huddle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's also not forget that runners are VERY vulnerable in this game. Starting a tackling contest against a runner only gets you pushed back if you lose. You both burn a card and make the round shorter. It might even make them burn a non-dead card. Just don't do it if they can push you into anything...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
Let's also not forget that runners are VERY vulnerable in this game. Starting a tackling contest against a runner only gets you pushed back if you lose. You both burn a card and make the round shorter. It might even make them burn a non-dead card. Just don't do it if they can push you into anything...

I am totally of the same mindset here. If you have a poor hand go start fighting contests with runners. Tackling is a safer bet, but you have a better chance of them burning higher energy cards to save their guys.

I like to bluff. A lot. It's why I'm terrible at poker. However, I'v won some matches by playing like I have a terrible hand, so when they try and press me like that I have strong responses and put them in a bad position. Predictable play will get you crushed, at least with the sharks I play with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Sekela
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions, folks. Given your input, I agree my original idea of discarding three cards with a Pass action is too much. Two (or even one) cards sounds like a better way to go. Or maybe just forget about this variant and play with the rules as is. I guess the advantage of any game is that you can always house rule to fit your gaming group's preference!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.