Drinky Drinky
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Mr. Cat. Hold on I think I know my next move, just give me another minute....NO!!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent 2nd Edition : Lair of the Wyrm (D:LOTW) is one of the better expansions that an overlord, who wants to win, would probably try to exclude as much as possible from a campaign. I didn't know what to think at first but after a year I'm now more comfortable with what the expansion adds.

D:LOTW is a spectacular mini expansion with 5 quests total. 3 quests are only one part, with the 2 "final" quests being 2 part quests. There are only 3 new monsters: Imps, Sentinels(Draconians), and the mega dragon boss Valyndra. Valyndra is only a large cardboard ocal, but can be bought as a separate Lieutenant pack where the figure is more than worth how she looks.

Heroes: The new Champion(Paladin) valor tokens almost are like a warrior "rage" mechanic from World of Warcraft and work very well with the class.

The Geomancer elf mage in the game with the summoned stone familiars add a nice new touch with spacing and positioning to protect the mage, though we joke the stone familiar tokens look like "magic hams".

New NPC heroes: I was kind of up in the air on this one, I like they can either go friend or foe, but their use seemed limited and I personally didn't care for them as additions either way.

Secret Rooms: This adds a new chance for loot for the heroes while almost "pausing" the main campaign. This is a huge swing in the heroes favor, but the fact of finding a secret room in a campaign makes the adventure feel more fun. Also the secret room now takes away the "nothing" search card making searching more rewarding for the heroes in any campaign.

Inactive Monsters: Yet another mark against the overlord, though it makes sense, more of a trigger to release monsters when a certain condition happens, it prevent the overlord from using everything at their disposal immediately. But in an overall sense of the game it really makes sense.

Overlord cards: Let me level with you, we prefer playing the descent quest variants, but as an overlord, the quest rewards for players are not worth this overlord deck. I can see this as a balance for every overlord that tried to max out the most damaging monster possible in their games. But if I am an overlord out to win, I would see the most winning move as trying not to incorporate any of the D:LOTW items as possible. Which is a shame really because all of the new heroes, monsters, tile artwork, and new items really make the campaign feel more complete.

Things I didn't care for: NPC heroes (as stated above), the method to which D:LOTW quests are included into a campaign with rumor cards, why not just have them added as a replacement quests for a campaign and make them modular. I also thought the overlord cards were a bit lackluster (personal preference). I was sad there were only 5 quests, and 3 of those quests were "half" quests.

Overall: If you can find a way to get these quests included as a player or overlord, D:LOTW will add some great twists and add to a greater overall campaign experience. Sure it has its flaws but they are easily overlooked with all that is included in this "mini" expansion. It was sad there were not more quests that were included, but with all the tiles and tokens it can lead to some creative personal quests that can be made with the game.

And as one final tangent note if you do buy this expansion, be sure to buy the Valyndra Lieutenant pack solely for the sheer size and presence on the board. No whimpy cardboard dragons here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried house ruling anything to make it more friendly/fair to the OL? If the OL got double threat in the side quests, would that balance it out? Or reducing the gold gains in the side quests by half?

It seems like there's a consensus that LotW is a bad deal for the OL when incorporated into a campaign but I don't see any variants suggested to try to even it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lieutenants supposedly make it worth the OL's time to have rumors in a campaign.

Also, even though you get 'half quests', if you play the downloadable mini-campaign, it makes this expansion even more worth picking up (so you don't have to use rumors at all).

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.