Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jared
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had two issues come up in our game tonight that we weren't quite sure how to handle, both dealing with the order in which things are resolved.

Firstly, I had +2 on the knowledge track, and recalled three workers. I was under the "roll a 6 and lose a resource/commodity" restriction, and I rolled a 4, 5 and 6. This resulted in a total knowledge of 17, meaning I would lose the "6" worker. But since that was a six, do I lose the resource/commodity before losing the worker? We ruled it as yes (since the game is evil) but I figured I'd seek official clarification.

Secondly, my wife was under the "gain +1 on the knowledge track whenever you place an authority star" restriction. She used the artifact market to place a star on the market causing the penalty, but does she still suffer the penalty for placing that star on that market? Since we ruled that the game required me to lose a worker AND a resource on point one, we figured that she would gain the +1 knowledge, then cancel out the penalty going forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chick
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
badge
Jared, I'll leave it to Jamey for the official confirmation, but from my reading of your post, I don't see any ambiguity.

In the first example, you rolled a six, so you have to pay the penalty. Furthermore, your total rolled exceeding your knowledge limit doesn't in invalidate that roll. It just means you also lose a worker.

In the second example, the act of placing the authority star has to be fully resolved before you can gain the benefit from it. So, yes, your wife gains a point of knowledge from that action. Once the action is complete, she has removed the penalty.

So my completely unofficial take is that you're playing the game correctly. :)

-Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I think you're right in both instances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Prozinski
United States
O'Fallon
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Stop touching me!
badge
You're far too trusting!
mb
You are correct in both instances. In the second case, Jamey has already answered it in a previous thread. He even gives a 4 step process to determine the order to evaluate timing.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1085202/order-of-execution-t...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Delthos wrote:
You are correct in both instances. In the second case, Jamey has already answered it in a previous thread. He even gives a 4 step process to determine the order to evaluate timing.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1085202/order-of-execution-t...

Thank you, I'm not sure how I missed the earlier thread, but I'm glad to see my board game rule instincts were accurate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your question, Jared, and as the others indicated, you played it correctly. Sorry you were subject to such harsh penalties! It's important to keep those workers dumb and happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.