Hide
13 Posts

The Awful Green Things From Outer Space» Forums » Rules

Subject: Am I doing it wrong? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Waste MaLife
msg tools
I am confused.. it seams impossible for the Humans to win...

Fully grown monsters roll 4 dice each right? So 2 of them and that is eight dice which is nearly enough to kill anything even on a weak roll.

The humans can not out run the monsters as they move nearly as fast and even if you get the best weapon chit.. you are only rolling 5 dice?.. which is weak... then if you are unlucky enough to get a "1 die fragments" your in real trouble.

We played 3 games and not ONCE did the monsters even have any chance of loosing. In fact in all 3 games there was ONE failed roll vs the crew. While crew only get a few dice even in the best of circumstances.

I am just really confused.. how are you supposed to play this game... what am I doing wrong?

Like you place your crew (and only have a few options) Monsters roll and then come in the bay then spread out through adjacency 1 space per monster... and in turn 1 they grow and then atatck. !/2 the crew is dead on turn 1!

PLus they eat and drop eggs.. I just can not work out how in any way teh crew can do anything... they can not even out run them.. as they will just multiplay and take over the ship.

I just dfon't get it.. can you guys give me some thoughts on this game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
WasteMaLife wrote:
The humans can not out run the monsters as they move nearly as fast and even if you get the best weapon chit.. you are only rolling 5 dice?.. which is weak...

Keep in mind that many of the weapons can affect all of the monsters in a single area. (And even if you get something like "3 dice to kill" for an area effect weapon, that's good for cleaning up eggs or fragments, and makes a "d6 fragments" weapon suddenly not so bad.)

Some blather:
- try out as many weapons as you can, as quickly as you can, until you find something that works.
- time is on the Awful Green Things' side: if you just run away, they grow stronger, so you need to hit them hard as quickly as you can. EDIT: even if it means you're going to get eaten.
- always try to draw "5 dice to kill" for the fire extinguisher, ha ha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Humans probably have no chance to win. The Snudalians, Smbalites, Frathms, and Redundans, on the other hand, have a decent chance.

Realize that the starting number you roll for the alien force composition has a big affect on play balance. Don't roll that die, just use the green things quantities for a roll of 3 or even 2 until you learn the game. Then try 4, etc.

The AGTs have an easier task, so new players learn to play the AGTs well before they learn to play the crew well. It's a learning curve thing: in your first game the AGTs are very tough, but the game is more balanced later.

Finally, remember that this isn't chess, it will ever be exactly equal. It's crazy game, and your weapon effect draws have a huge affect on your chances. Play twice, switching sides, and see who gets a higher score. If you want a true mental contest, play Go. Play AGT when you want to watch the story unfold.

The rules for two settings on the Comm Beamer, hi and low, each with their own weapon effect chit is another great variant that will help the crew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan MacDonald

Glendale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We always roll the Monster Population as 1D4+1 to help the balance somewhat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Stewart
United States
Bowie
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One simple question to the OP:
When monsters grow, the monster player can only pick
one stage to grow: either babies, eggs, or Adults;
are you doing that?

Also you are limited by the counters provided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waste MaLife
msg tools
Thanks guys.. the only thing I can think of is that we are using the weapons wrong.. We were both new players, so no one had a advantage.. though we were rolling the die for the monster spawn. The 1st two games rolled a 4 and the last a 6.

Lets get some things confirmed....

We Played

• All Monsters at a certain stage grow in grow phase. (Choose 1: Adults lay a egg, fragments become babies, Babies become adults, Eggs Become babies)

• 1 Monster involved in any attack that kills gets to eat. This causes it to grow, but the robot gets a effect chit and that only effects that 1 monster (not all in room due to robot exploding or something) and the chit is then returned to the draw.

• Monsters and Crew can attack in a group vs 1 target. When you do you add all their combat dice values and roll that number of dice. So 2 Adults is 8 dice.

• We didn't use the outside rules.

• Crew also use the attack value to determine amount of dice. We gave weapons to low die count characters and used hand to hand on high die count.. (like Captain)

• Multiple untried weapons get a single chit drawn and this chit is returned to the draw afterwards. If the weapons are known you roll dice in waves of similar effects in effect order (Grow, shrink, 5 2 Kill, 1 Die Frag, 5 2 Stun)

I still do not see how the crew even have a chance. The monsters are rolling tons of dice every time and every roll will kill a crew.. the chances of them missing are real low.. and the crew even if they are in a huge stack can barely kill a single adult.

Is the point of the game to avoid the monsters and just try and make it to the exits and fly away? Not to in fact kill them all off?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waste MaLife
msg tools
What do you do when you have crew with weapons and hand to hand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Stewart
United States
Bowie
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
2. Are you using "Area effects" weapons like the fuel tanks that
usually totally clear multi-space corridors?
3. Or distance weapons like comm beamers/rayguns that shoot any distance?
4. Most weapons are "unlimited": keep throwing cans of Zugworz from
the kitchen.....
Hope your crew wins...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Hill
Canada
Durham Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this tonight. November 08th. 2014 with my son. The crew completely defeating the AGT in 6 turns with a loss of only 8 crew members. That '5 dice to kill' with an area weapon is a killer, literally. To avoid the chits my son consolidated the crew into 2 groups & used the 'hand to hand' combat often. Add in the '5 dice to stun' & "5 dice to kill' both with area weapons, I never had a chance, but, couldn't stop laughing throughout the game. I know this post is bit old, but, keep playing. The game will change. The important thing is to just have fun & enjoy yourselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Your son should be congratulated on a great victory, *but* usually large groups of crew lose because they can't be everywhere. The AGTs spread out and go after the egg-laying.

Certainly using hand-to-hand is vital and usually overlooked. There are so many toys to play with that you forget that a couple of crew members can give you 5 Dice to Kill without any "weapons". Hand to hand is the key to victory in this weapon-effect centric game. That's nuance, that is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Hill
Canada
Durham Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply Andrew. Your insight is very valuable & I was thinking of something similar to try to either brake up his large group or make my own large group. But, before I could break up my 7 adults, the '5 dice to stun' followed with the '5 dice to kill' popped up & I had lost. The important part was that my son, who is 14 Y/O, & I had a great time with lots of laughter. His mother later commented on how wonderful it was for her to hear the two of us laughing so much. I played this game often in the 1980's into the early 1990's. I never thought of, nor, saw anyone use the hand to hand combat to such an effective domineering strategy. A fresh mind is always welcome. After he asked if we could try my old 'Aliens' game so I dusted that off for him. We haven't played yet, it's just a matter of time. I do look forward to it. Take care
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Packard
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's wonderful. Not only seeing your son think things through like that and come up with a plan you didn't see is great, but that shared laughter between you when playing is priceless. Those are the best moments in gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

In AGT a great time always outweighs strategic success. It's not Chess, after all.

And quick wins usually go to the crew. The AGTs want a long game, since they get reinforcements and the crew does not. Time is with the one-eyed, mouthless ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.