Subject: Painted figures + Samurai rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hervé Balon
Belgium
Goutroux
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess you guys haven't found it on the internet because it wasn't already share so I'll do it!!!! The work is really amazing!!!! I gues that's FFP that ordered them! ;)

Female Shaman: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=685867531486035&set=...

Bandido: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=685867484819373&set=...

Sheriff: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=686217424784379&set=...

Rancher: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=686355381437250&set=...

Goliath and Harbringer: https://www.facebook.com/GuildPaintingService/posts/68726173...

Sculpt of the Samurai (don't know if this one is official): https://www.coolminiornot.com/356236
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are really impressive. The flesh-colored Harbinger is creepy. I don't understand how they painted it so that colors gradually fade into each other. I don't paint, so I don't know anything, but that looks really difficult.

I'm a little sad because mine will never look this good. Anybody know what they charge? They avoided putting any price ranges on their website, which makes me think it's so high that they are concerned about driving customers away with sticker shock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hervé Balon
Belgium
Goutroux
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I'm sad too that I'm not equiped and not so gifted as they are...

Maybe someone can take in charge to send them an email to ask how much a complete outlaw level will cost to paint?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's airbrushed, which is how they can blend so well (plus lots of skill, of course). Typically, they won't have flat rates because the amount of paint and effort varies greatly on the models with size, amount, detail and color. Your best bet it to contact them and ask, like Balon suggested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Buman
United States
Harlan
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are well done. To me it looks like they used some standard painting techniques such as layering, drybrushing, blending, and washes. While these are pro painted, anyone can learn these techniques and paint to a pretty good standard with practice and patience. Don't be afraid to try and understand that after you have painted a few, your skills will improve. I find painting miniatures very relaxing.

Thanks for posting these links!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
Those are good looking figs! They look airbrushed, but a talented painter can also wet-blend those colors together. Essentially, you use two (or more) paintbrushes to quickly blend colors together before they dry. I've done it once or twice, and while the results are really nice, it's too much trouble for me - my paint queue is far too long to spend so much time on one fig!!

A very well painted human-sized figure might cost as little as $20 to paint, and a "tabletop" quality paintjob might be $5-$10. But that's going to vary a lot by what you mean by well painted and how complicated the figures are.

I had Blue Table Painting do up a set of 40K figs for me a few years ago, and it was about $8 for a space marine at tabletop quality (basic 3 or 4 color blocking, a wash, light drybrushing - this looks fantastic and is really all you need) and $20 for the lower-level "high quality" paint job (lots more details, some modest blending, some weathering, waaaaay more than any reasonable person needs for a game piece). BTP did a great job, in case you're looking to do something like this - but it's expensive. And larger than human pieces will increase the price considerably.

And of course if you really want, it's not hard to find experts who might charge up to $100 or more for a "pro painted" fig. The kind that would be in the running for awards in contests and such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
Yea, just a quick back-o-the envelope calculation for the ~40 (42, right?) pieces included in the SoB base sets, table top quality, would probably run you $350-400 or more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hervé Balon
Belgium
Goutroux
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the complete gallery: http://imgur.com/a/NEXso
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador Bernadó
Spain
Gavà
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the post.
Those miniatures are excellently painted.
Now you get me depressed because there's no way mine will be nothing near these... soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I am a "certified" art critic.
badge
I am a professional BGG commenter.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ilnyt wrote:
Here is the complete gallery: http://imgur.com/a/NEXso

Hey! I compiled that imgur album!

Stealing all my fame and glory! laugh

PS: Out of curiosity... Where did you get that link?
You're in Belgium and I only posted it to a forum for french canadians
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hervé Balon
Belgium
Goutroux
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got it on the same french canadian forum that you're talking about: Dragons Nocturnes (pseudo Fallout on the forum)

The info had to be shared and I never said that it was my work, I just mentionned that a complete gallery was visible at this address! ;)

Do you know where the shop that did them is situated? Because when you go to their website: http://www.guildpainting.com/ they don't tell where they're located...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klutz
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
I am a "certified" art critic.
badge
I am a professional BGG commenter.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ilnyt wrote:
Do you know where the shop that did them is situated? Because when you go to their website: http://www.guildpainting.com/ they don't tell where they're located...

Some quick detective work on their Facebook page and I'd guess they're based in San Diego and do some (most?) of their painting at GameEmpire. They have some older photos marked as "at Game Empire San Diego" !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic find! Besides inspiring me it also gives me some baseline color schemes to consider. I wonder how they got the lines so straight on the rancher's dress.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Autoduelist wrote:
I wonder how they got the lines so straight on the rancher's dress.

I didn't even notice that! And the checked pattern on the back of her dress.... I'm not sure what it's supposed to be, but that's got to be ridiculously hard to paint.

There are a couple nice shots of the doctor and the prospector that weren't in the original post. The doctor also has pinstripes painted on his pants.

I wonder why they didn't paint eyes on most of the figures. Only the Shaman has defined eyes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hervé Balon
Belgium
Goutroux
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubric wrote:
I wonder why they didn't paint eyes on most of the figures. Only the Shaman has defined eyes.

Yeah, I was wondering why too... The figures really looks unfinished without the eyes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Le Jeune
Belgium
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is that they're just not finished yet. Maybe the painter knows how to make eyes but he's waiting on another painter who's even better at it. That's sometimes how it goes in painting labs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
If you check out my gallery here on BGG you can see eyes on my figures. For what it's worth, here's the technique I use:

1.) Most figures have indentations for eyes. Take some slightly watery white craft paint (or standard mini paint white)and dab it in the center of the indentation. The paint should spread into the rest of the eye socket. Let the paint dry.

2.) Use a fine hair brush to dab in the pupil. Other techniques that work more consistently are a toothpick, the point of a pin, or a duplicolor pen.

3.) Take your flesh color and run it along the top or bottom of the eye to give it an almond shape. You can see it here in my Fortune and Glory villains on the lady:

And that's it. I still don't know how people get those insanely straight lines that look fantastic in photos. My figures look great with the naked eye, look great at the tabletop, but the moment I take a photo you can see every imprecise detail. I don't know how Games Workshop and professional paint shops do their painting so well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Bludd
United States
Des Moines
IA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Autoduelist wrote:
My figures look great with the naked eye, look great at the tabletop, but the moment I take a photo you can see every imprecise detail.

FWIW, whenever I buy a prepainted mini I tend to overlook painting flaws (Heroscape) unless it's a really bad paint job (early Mage Knight). But when it's something I painted - no matter if it's far better quality than a mass-market prepainted fig - I'm much more critical. For the record, I think your minis look great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Waszczuk
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ilnyt wrote:
I guess you guys haven't found it on the internet because it wasn't already share so I'll do it!!!! The work is really amazing!!!! I gues that's FFP that ordered them!

I contacted them and Aaron got back to me today with some information about the painted miniatures shown in the photos:

Thank you for the kind words regarding my work on the Shadows of Brimstone game. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, I have been doing a lot of traveling the last couple of weeks.

The Studio figs that you have seen me working on are rather expensive as they are meant to be photographed and have custom bases unique to each figure which amounts to a lot of man hours per figure. They run $250.00 each for the 28mm models and more for the bigger ones. That's far more than I would expect anyone to pay for figures to be played with in a board game.

I can however give you pricing for gaming-level paint jobs. Similar to the figures I did for the first Zombicide Kickstarter (I painted 16 sets!). Give me a couple days to put together a quote (as there are a lot of figures involved) and we'll see if it's something you would like to persue.

So yeah. I don't know about you guys but I would never "play" with $250 miniatures, even if I could afford them. Although I'm curious about how much the custom bases factor into the overall cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Miniatures Page has a painting service subforum:
http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/topics.mv?id=34

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.