BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: 2 player medium weight-duration memorable game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hugo Simões
Portugal
flag msg tools
Hi all,

I'm looking to add to my shelf a new game that meets the next tough requirements:

- Is best/recommended for 2 players. Doesn't have to be specific for 2 players, but the goal is for 2 players;
- The duration should be less than 90min. I got some games that can be played by 2 players (Eclipse, Lords of Waterdeep, Duel of Ages 2), but they are long;
- The game weight should be above 2.X, I don't want an overly simple game;
- Must have a great replayability, something that makes me want to make game after game;

- And the last and most important requirement, the games should be memorable. I'm looking for a game that I can talk about and reminisce with friends even after some months.
I get this feeling after playing Netrunner or Battlestar Galactica with some friends. I want a game that gives a similar feeling, independent of the game type.
e.g. Remember that game when I made 6 remote servers on Netrunner, or I got 6 tags but won? Or remember that time I looked at the other guy's card said he was a cylon and no one believed me?

I've searched and searched and came up with 2 options. Summoner Wars, which is close to these requirements but doesn't quite hit the mark and Claustrophobia, which I still have to investigate better.

Anyone got other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Pinheiro
Brazil
Recife
Pernambuco
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Give Summoner Wars a chance, it is the only game I played 200+ times. I'm that type of gamer that hates LCGs and do not want to play the same game over and over again. That's why I rated SW 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Galaxy Trucker works pretty well for 2 if you take out a bunch of the parts before the game starts. I'm not sure how it works specifically, but there's got to be 2-player variants on the game page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
Aliso Viejo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Castles of Burgundy

I still remember the game where I was winning up until the last 4 turns where my fiancée somehow rolled everything she needed and crushed me by 20 points in the end. It was a memorable game.

But how memorable a game it is will be depended on you. Sounds like you like thematic games. CoB is an Euro true and true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as creating memorable sessions, no game comes stronger to mind than this one:

Earth Reborn - It's driven by a very strong narrative that's rich and funny. So after every session, there's something you can talk about, like this: "Remember when my character had IBS and was racing for the bathroom. Meanwhile, you were trying to kill him!" or "Remember when I ran up behind your back and tried to shoot you from behind, but the gun jammed and I missed! So you turned around and instead of killing me, you tortured me!" (Note that these are all real things that can happen in this game.)

Read this session report/review for a thorough understanding of what kind of game this is. It is a story generator:

A Session Report AND a Review
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Hoye
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I love playing pretty much anything except war games! I'll try 'em all.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say Summoner Wars over Claustrophobia for that memorable feeling; both are good games, but there's that feeling of battle stories that comes out of SW.

I've not played it myself, but my roomie loves A Few Acres of Snow - it's got a lot of story to it, it can get quite tense, and it's interesting to look back at the end of it to see how the English & French matched up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iheartmuseums wrote:
I've not played it myself, but my roomie loves A Few Acres of Snow - it's got a lot of story to it, it can get quite tense, and it's interesting to look back at the end of it to see how the English & French matched up.

+1. It's one of the games I will always play.

I also suggest Catan Card Game. It's designed for two players, and has quite a few expansions. I believe it has been rereleased with some of the expansions co-packaged as Rivals of Catan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J T
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Suburbia

Lots of interesting player interactions, an auction mechanic that's as good at 2 as it is with 3-4 and the ability to construct buildings that complement each other well all lead to an exciting feeling of creating something unique and lots of replay value.

At first glance it looks a little like solitaire, but you're constantly watching your opponent to see which of their decisions you can exploit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Meeker
United States
Camano Island
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For us, Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game has created some very memorable sessions. It's not a heavy game (rated 2.3), but there is enough variety in the scenarios to reward replays. With a group of interested folk who get into the spirit of the game, it quickly becomes a memorable one.

Do you remember the time the drifter found the shotgun and blasted six zombies, found the keys to the truck, snagged the gas can, and drove off laughing? I do, and it was epic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Norton
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Commands & Colors: Ancients puts a massive tick in all of your boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galaad Maal
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omen: A Reign of War?
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Morgan
United States
Bloomsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
+1000 for Summoner Wars. Also Neuroshima Hex!
Possibly Pandemic. I have had memorable games of each of these with two players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BattleCON: Devastation of Indines is my favorite 2-player game right now. My friends and I still talk about "that one match."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugo Simões
Portugal
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone for sharing your opinions and for all the suggestions.
I have to agree that what makes one game memorable is your own perception.
For me currently the standard is Netrunner. Every single game is incredibly fun with tense moments for each of the players and in the end memorable.
The game has a luck factor on the card draw, a sense of strategy and mind games against the opponent.
And possibly the most relevant a wide selection of actions available at all times. You don't have to follow a specific play order.
You may do these X options for each of your Y turns.
I'd love to find something similar.

@Battlecon
I had already downloaded it for iPad, but didn't try it yet.
After watching its "Watched it Played" I liked it a lot, but I'm now trying to see if my friends would like it too.

@Summoner Wars
I like it a lot. I like chess, I love grid movement, special powers and one of my favorite videogame genre is strategy RPG.
But it doesn't reach the epic level that I'm looking for
Also very important, my friends share the feeling that the game is fun, but not great.

@Earth Reborn
For my current requirements its out of the scope.
Claustrophobia appeals a little more to me because of the asymmetric play style.

@Command and Colors
I watched a video review, the game looks interesting and has a lot of expansions.
I do like more thematic games though and the card draw mechanic does seem to be somewhat of a possible flaw, but I never played the game, just my impression from a video.

@Few Acres of Snow
I have yet to check it. Will be my next research

The other suggestion for games that aren't specifically best with 2, or recommended for 2 fall a little shy of the others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hspoupas wrote:
@Battlecon
I had already downloaded it for iPad, but didn't try it yet.
After watching its "Watched it Played" I liked it a lot, but I'm now trying to see if my friends would like it too.

There's a print-and-play trial version you can download, too. It's not very component heavy, maybe 25 or so cards, so it should be easy enough to print on regular paper and sleeve with a backing card, if you want to try it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.