Speed Circuit» Forums » General

Subject: Comparison rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco Maria Borelli
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've read many comments upon speed circuit, which are the main differences with Race! Formula 90 apart the use of the cards instead than setting speed ?
You have to drive throughout the entire circuit like in Formula Dé ?
I understand that Speed Circuit have different mechanics than Formula De don' take offense for comparison

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Speed Circuit requires you to configure your car, setting your Acceleration, Deceleration and Top Speed from a limited pool of points. So, if you have a high Top Speed, for example, then you won't be able to assign as many points to Acceleration and Deceleration.

The track is divided into single car-sized boxes (as is the case in the more recent Formula De), and turns have a limit on what speed you can reach while in that turn. You can exceed the speed limit in a couple of ways - following an ideal line, or taking a chance of a Spinout.

Normally, races are conducted over 3 laps, IIRC.

So, car configuration has more granularity to it than Race! has, but after that, the game becomes pretty predictable - cars with a high top speed will do better on tracks with long straights, and cars with high acceleration or deceleration will fare better on tracks with a lot of turns. It works very well, but the model is just a bit simple for contemporary tastes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Maria Borelli
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have read that there a reprinting project for speed circuit. Do you think there will be changes on game mechanics as well ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought everything Darrell had to say was good up until:

DarrellKH wrote:
...but after that, the game becomes pretty predictable - cars with a high top speed will do better on tracks with long straights, and cars with high acceleration or deceleration will fare better on tracks with a lot of turns.

I have to wonder if your play group was suffering from group think, because this is just incredibly inaccurate.

DarrellKH wrote:
It works very well, but the model is just a bit simple for contemporary tastes.

Wrong. Speed Circuit is an amazing game, which is one of the very few I rank as a 10. I was only introduced to it perhaps 7-8 years ago, well after I had already known other more "contemporary" games.

Marcomaria wrote:
I have read that there a reprinting project for speed circuit. Do you think there will be changes on game mechanics as well ?

I think the new game will be close enough to the original that it will still be a satisfying and similar experience. If you can find the original game cheaply, I would get it. But otherwise, I would probably wait a couple years for the new game Championship Formula Racing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having only read the rules, my take is that Speed Circuit is like C (the programming language) and Race! Formula 90 is like Java. What I mean is this: Speed Circuit's game mechanics are concerned about low-level details like modelling car speed, acceleration, getting the racing lines right. Race! Formula 90 abstracts away nitty gritty details (like speed, for example) so the player can concentrate on some high-level decisions, such as when and how to overtake, when to pit.

One issue with Race! Formula 90 is that it tries to be a game but still tries to nail down all the simulation details. Leafing through the rulebook are scads of exceptions and tables of what to do differently in different situations (example: how do you resolve an overtake in various scenarios). Kind of like how even the simplest Java program takes a dozen lines of code. I don't like to say this about a game I've never played, but they could use a good developer to chip off all the clutter and get at the good game that's inside.

Speed Circuit starts by nailing down the details. If this approach is done properly, an interesting game can emerge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Pellegrino
Italy
Palermo
Sicilia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Speed circuit is a strategic game, you can fully tune and drive your car as you like\wish and you choose exactly the speed and how to drive every turn, the game is mostly diceless , Race is a game that requires strategy and decisions that depend on the cards you have in hand (picked ) and the kind of setting that you have previously chosen. They are so different games. As a great sport games collector I have played many racing games, and my preferred is still speed circuit, among the best 5 games there is certainly Race with Rallyman and McGartlin. But all are deeply diferent between them.
Fabio
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fabio knows what he's talking about. I'm blown away by the fact that he's played hundreds of racing games. You name the game and I'm guessing Fabio has played it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dietz
United States
Sigel
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Marcomaria wrote:

I've heard there will be a reprint, too. whistle

There will not be massive changes. The core rules of Speed Circuit are good, but improvements are possible, so there will be some stuff added.

Right now, the designer is working on a system for including 'robot cars' which drive with multiple (realistic) characteristics based on real drivers.

Eventually (I'm hoping 2015) the game will become Championship Formula Racing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio de Souza Fonseca
Brazil
flag msg tools
DarrellKH wrote:

So, car configuration has more granularity to it than Race! has, but after that, the game becomes pretty predictable - cars with a high top speed will do better on tracks with long straights, and cars with high acceleration or deceleration will fare better on tracks with a lot of turns. It works very well, but the model is just a bit simple for contemporary tastes.

You must be joking. So cars having a high top speed will go better in tracks with long straights, for example? The game is simple as that? Man, depending on the track, even with long straights, you may be not able to get in position to use all your superior top speed to your advantage.

This comment seems to be by someone who played the game once or twice...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Pellegrino
Italy
Palermo
Sicilia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think these words are referred to speed circuit....
Fabio

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pilum pilum
France
flag msg tools
mb
DarrellKH wrote:

It is a joke ?

There is an important fact in Speed Circuit : Speed level are revealed in the same time by all drivers. So, in this game, you must also think about the decision of other cars. Speed circuit is a great great game, which is still alive since 1977.

Race!F90 has a great potential, but has to be rewritten, from my point of view : some points are very complicated (overtaking, lapping, contest in corner, etc...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.