Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
shlomi ben-naim
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
Hello,
I am new to gaming; I am looking for a mystery or crime game or something like the old “Clue” game. I am looking for a light game and not to heavy with rules and complexity. Can anyone suggest a good solid game.
thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toms Leikums
Latvia
Jelgava
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played it (would like to), but Mystery of the Abbey is suggested quite often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr. Jack in New York is a detective themed game. Mr. Jack Pocket is more specifically like Clue, i.e. a "who done it" type of game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shlomi wrote:
Hello,
I am new to gaming; I am looking for a mystery or crime game or something like the old “Clue” game. I am looking for a light game and not to heavy with rules and complexity. Can anyone suggest a good solid game.
thanks

P.I.

Like Clue, it's a deduction game. Unlike Clue, there are no die rolls or player elimination, because players do not move tokens around board, and each player is trying to solve his/her own mystery (i.e., suspect; crime; location). If a player doesn't get the solution correct, he/she is still playing and can try again.

Plays with 2-5 players, and our group has enjoyed it a lot. The rules are short and very intuitive. On his/her turn, a player can perform one of the following three actions:

a. Take a card from 9 face-up clue cards to see if it is the suspect (or location, or crime) in the solution. The player to the right -- who is holding the solution -- tells the player if the clue is the correct answer, near the answer, or not. If correct, the player places a disk of his/her color on the corresponding tile on the board. If the actual answer is at a locations adjacent to the one where the clue is, the player is told to place a cube on the tile. If neither is appropriate (i.e. the clue is not even close), the player places the card face up in front of him/her as a reminder.

b. Place 1 of the player's detectives on a location. The player to the right then responds like in (a), but does not specify which of the three clues are what. For example, I place a detective at Ocean Drive, and the player to my right tells me to place a disk and a cube on the detective. That tells me I got one of the three clues correct, and another clue is at the location adjacent to the detective -- but I don't know which ones. At the end of the round, the detectives used are removed from the game; each player has a total of 5 detectives for all three rounds.

c. Make an accusation. If the player is correct, the player places a marker on the scoring track; if incorrect, the player moves his/her wrong guess marker on its track (-2 points for each wrong guess.)

The film noir artwork is very thematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Cantrell
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:

Great recommendation, P.I. is by far my favorite deduction game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grizwold Sanderson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Test
Mystery Express. Has many of the same mechanics as Clue. A little more complexity. But no dice rolling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Great War Commander, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander Europe, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Combat Commander Pacific
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
If a story-telling mechanic is okay, nothing currently beats Ace Detective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LUCEOID
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
ORIENT EXPRESS PERHAPS?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Le Fantôme de l'Opéra

2 players (competitive)
Asymmetrical gameplay
Great production quality
Easy to learn, hard to master
No language dependence
Random board setup
Variable difficulty setting
Pretty fast game (each round ~30 minutes)
Good theme integration, fresh theme
Multilingual rule book (English, German, French)

E The latest and best of the Mr. Jack game series.

Inkognito

4 players (team vs team/2 vs 2 competitive)
Great production quality
Easy rules
No language dependence
Random victory conditions
Good theme integration, fresh theme

E Still a classic deduction game for me. You only know you own identitiy and have to figure out who you partner is in order to win.

The trick is, you can only communicate with other players via cards, deducing who the other players are while trying to confuse the rival team on your own identity and also giving hints on your own identity to your partner.

Exciting game of cat-and-mouse against the clock (= deduction progress of the other team), even after all these years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Galaxy is Just Packed!
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Second Mystery of the Abbey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NOIR: Deductive Mystery Game is an excellent deduction game, works from 2 - 4 players. I've played it with 5 and it works ok, too.

Mystery Express is fun, but not my favorite deduction game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shlomi ben-naim
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
Thank you everyone for your suggestions, i will look up your recommendations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denys Lonshakov
Germany
Berlin
Deutschland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Try this one Tajemnicze Domostwo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Clowsewitz
Canada
Moncton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Letters from Whitechapel

The theme fits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Coulombe
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Are you Alive?
mbmbmbmbmb
Mystery Express for me. This game is pure fun for a clue fan, but without some of Clue's roll and move nonsense.

It is also more complex than Clue with you having to find the reason why the murder was committed and at what time. + there are 3 copies of each card and cards are moving throughout the game.

It is really fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Letters from Whitechapel. This is one of the best deduction games out there.

The Phantom Society is a fairly recent release where one person is trying to uncover the ghosts that another player has hidden in a creepy mansion. I haven't played it, but it looks neat.

When you feel like you're ready for something a little more difficult, seek out a game called Android. It's not a tremendously complex game, though the rule book may make you think so. It's a game set in a cyberpunk future where you play as a unique character who is trying to solve a murder, uncover a conspiracy, and deal with their own personal lives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.