Matt Duckworth
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't hear a lot of talk about it, but has anybody noticed how extremely powerful Grima decks can be?

I've found that Grima, "(Lore)Aragorn", and Mirlonde are turning out to be a potent hero combination. "Lor"agorn's reset combined with Mirlonde's starting threat reduction pretty much gives Grima and other doomed effect cards almost free reign. I splashed a little spirit into my current deck, and haven't actually found myself really needing it that much yet, and could probably succeed with pure monosphere. The only reason I haven't pulled the spirit splash yet is because this is the first deck archetype I've found where Damrod actually fits in and is useful.

Grima's ability within the Lore sphere is borderline ridiculous. Let's face it, his ability is pretty much "raise your threat by 1 to gain a resource". There are very few turns where you aren't playing something from your hand, and unlike Master of Lore, Grima can reduce the cost to 0. Slap a Keys of Orthanc on him, and suddenly you have a poor man's Lore version of Steward of Gondor. This kind of resource acceleration combined with Lore's natural card draw can actually get bonkers pretty fast. It's a good thing they made Keys of Orthanc unique or it would be absolutely out of control.

I think my favorite part was for the first time ever, Mirlonde was actually a better hero choice than "(Spirit)Glorfindel". Any time the designers can create a situation where a hero is a better choice than "Spir"findel, I give them praise. What I have found is that Mirlonde getting the starting/reset threat down to 26 is "good enough", plus the fact that she doesn't raise the threat herself without Light of Valinor (non doomed threat raises actually run counter to this deck's design). On top of that, keeping things monosphere with Mirlonde means I can get the full effect of cards like Mithrandir's Advice, which is VERY powerful in this resource accelerating deck. When you can drop Haldir on turn one and Anborn on turn two, you will start to see what I'm talking about.

Anybody who has not experimented with Lore monosphere decks, now is the time where they are actually becoming quite viable. You will find out they are some of the most fun interesting decks to build and play. They are great for players who like "outside the box" strategies that don't just rely on sheer willpower or combat might to plow through.

Ok... Grima, Lore, Monosphere plug over. I'm curious to hear the thoughts of other Grima deck players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chadgar24
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will try this ASAP!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Duckworth
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you start throwing these type of decks together, thing resource efficiency. A lot of people have gotten side tracked by the whole doomed power card/threat reduction mechanic but I've found that for this type of deck, focusing on the resource efficiency, card draw, and powerful high cost allies is the money maker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Duckworth
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
... for example, 3 Master's of Lore and Grima on the table can make 5 and 4 cost allies into 1 and 0 cost allies, theoretically. Toss in some elf stones and you will start to see what I mean. With an optimum mulligan can get Haldir or Anborn and Keys of Orthanc out on turn 1, and Gildor Inglorian on turn 2.

Now you have allies adding 5 willpower or 6 attack in a LORE MONOSPHERE deck on turn 2! Pretty cool possibilities with this archetype.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Freeman
United States
Mooresville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Could you post the deck you are using?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Duckworth
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah... I'm still fine tuning bear in mind, and haven't run it against anything more difficult than Into Fangorn yet (which it creamed pretty handily.

All cards are lore unless stated otherwise.

Heroes:
Grima
Aragorn
Mirlonde

Allies (23):
2x Damrod (Spirit)
2x Anborn
3x Isengard Messenger
2x Gildor Inglorien
3x Rivendell Minstrel
2x Haldir of Lorien
3x Longbeard Map-Maker
3x Master of Lore
3x Saruman (neutral)

Attachments (18):
3x Ranger Spikes
3x Keys of Orthanc (Neutral)
2x Scroll of Isildur
3x Protector of Lorien
3x A Burning Brand
3x Elf-stone
1x Song of Travel (Neutral)

Events (9):
3x Deep Knowledge
3x The Galadhrim's Greeting (Spirit)
3x Mithrandir's Advice

Like I said, I'm still tuning and some of the cards in here are to play around with and test effectiveness with this deck type (like Saruman and Damrod). Also, I own two core sets, so somebody with only one could easily exchange out a couple of duplicates for more high cost allies and possibly come out ahead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.