Popular Tags: [View All]
Bart
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
All,

Just want to get some feedback from fellow gamers. I will actually have a work trip to Germany the same week as Essen 2014, so I'm thinking about extending the trip and heading to the show. The catch is that the business trip will keep me busy until late on Friday October 17 and is in Bavaria, so I wouldn't be able to get to Essen itself until sometime Saturday afternoon, meaning that the only day I could really attend the show is Sunday. So, looking for information and thoughts on:

1) When will we know what companies will be at the show granted, the answer is most/all ) and what they plan to be exhibiting?

2) Would it be worth the effort to go just on Sunday? I saw in other posts on this forum that hot games will generally be sold out by then, though anything left may get discounted on Sunday. this is a bit of a drawback, since part of the appeal of going would be the chance to get an interesting new game before it is widely available or in generally limited supply

Thanks in advance for the advice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'm not a fan of Essen and having now been twice I don't intend to go again. That said, I would definitely recommend going for the experience if you have the opportunity. Your only real consideration is having enough space to return eith your purchases as Essen's real attractive is the ability to buy new games. Don't worry about the hot games selling out - you'll find something that appeals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There may be games sold out, but you still get 95%+ of the games and super hot games are sold out on Thursday noon.
A definite list of publishers and their new products is not available until the week of the fair but you will see almost every publisher there except FFG and Rio Grande. You can still get zhe old list from the fair's website.
I suggest to fo that trip just for the experience and you can always preorder games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitrijs Zulenkovs
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also attended Essen going back from my business trips. And the situation was quite the same: I was there on Saturday. Well, I have got all what I wanted, some of the things were pre-ordered, some were bought spontaneously, so just follow the announcements\geeklists\advertisements here in August-September and pre-order the things you like. I've never regretted such purchases and you can always trade the false positive hits afterwards.

And yes, the experience is worth it. New impressions and other stuff, you know. I am also not the big fan of the event, but if I am in Brussels in the right time this year, no doubt I will travel to Essen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at it this way : how many times in your life will an opportunity like this present itself ?

I know that if I were in the States during GenCon, and within a reasonable distance, I'd go and check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Due to work commitments, we have only ever done late Friday night till sunday.
Sunday is certainly quieter, but still worthwhile if you're in the vicinity.
Towards the end of the day there are a lot of highly discounted games too.
Sure you won't get to pick up the super hyped games, but so what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Locu wrote:
A definite list of publishers and their new products is not available until the week of the fair but you will see almost every publisher there except FFG and Rio Grande.

Although this is true, BGG will undoubtedly* create a geeklist with the publishers who will attend and which games they'll be showing. Keep an eye on this list and you'll have a decent idea of who will be there.

* for a given value of 'undoubtedly' whistle

And yeah, grab the opportunity while you're there. If you don't go, you might regret it later on
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks all for the feedback, I think I will attend as long as it doesn't do horrible things to my airfare

Plus, how could I ignore the advice of another Bart? There are too few of us around not to stick together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Stål
Sweden
Örebro
ÖREBRO
flag msg tools
For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts. This you can trust.
badge
What is best in life?
mbmbmbmbmb
elgin_j wrote:
I'm not a fan of Essen and having now been twice I don't intend to go again.

Blasphemy!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.