Hide
3 Posts

Legacy: The Testament of Duke de Crecy» Forums » General

Subject: Have a child: choosing the sex rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Carter
msg tools
If you are determined to have a boy rather than a girl, you can do so, but it costs you 1 honour.

The in-game explanation for this is pretty funny (the father has chosen to have his 'girl' testicle removed, and word has leaked out to society) but I don't think it's entirely satisfactory.

What if the same couple decide to have another child as a later action, and again believe the sex matters - but this time, they want a girl?

So the father visits the urologist again, and this time...

Oh, wait.

If he does THAT, then that ought to mean no children of any kind ever again.

Alternatively, given the in-game explanation, if they'd wanted a boy next time around, there shouldn't be any additional honour cost, because no more cutting is required.

And all that is before you get on to the somewhat dubious science behind boy and girl testicles...

Is there an alternative better explanation? Might a family desperate for a son steal a foundling child from an orphanage? That way, it could happen more than once, with the desired sex of the child changing, and both times, the honour penalty makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Unwin
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it doesn't say so in the rules, but we've always played that once you've had the op there's no going back.
So game wise this means only one punishment, although you have an continuing increased chance of a 'Complication' which seems to make thematic sense.
Of course you still have to put up with the stick from your gaming opponents for the rest of the game.

I would like to see 'Foundlings & B@stards' feature in the next expansion.
In fact that would make a great title and certainly leap out at you as you browsed the shelves of the local FLGS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guyver FeroZ
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer he/she went to a witch doctor to establish the gender of the child. Still stigmatic for that era but less... *crosses legs* yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.