Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Which expansions to get? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Jordan Cruz
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I just got the Core set, incoming this weekend. Which expansions are worth getting first?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend either Labyrinth of Ruin or Shadow of Nerekhall as your next purchase. Buy one lieutenant pack that you find interesting as well.

Both Labyrinth of Ruin and Shadow of Nerekhall come with a full new campaign, as well as more heroes and monster groups than you'll find in the smaller expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its tough, really, everything is awesome.

LoR and SoN are great and add a lot, but if you are just getting it, it may be a while before you actually use LoR and SoN, maps and campaign.

I would suggest Lair of the Wyrm(because of the awesomely, underrated Champion) or Trollfens. Both give you classes, shop items, etc, but also a way to actually work the quests in through the use of the rumor card system. Overall more of the game would get used right away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a good point.

Perhaps get both Lair of the Wyrm and Trollfens! That way you get just as many heroes, classes, and monster groups as you would from a larger expansion, plus you get a bunch of rumour quests that you can integrate into the base game campaign.

Plus you get the Secret Room mechanic, which adds a neat twist to searching. The larger expansions don't offer that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the order which I would buy things.

1: Conversion Kit. Nothing gives you more content per dollar. Not even close. If you search, someone has files up here to create 3d proxies for the 1st Edition monsters and heroes.

2: Conversion Kit. If you haven't bought it already, do it now.

3: One of the lieutanants from the base game.
- Read the reviews listed here to find out about their plot deck.
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/browse/boardgameexpansion/0?...

- Read the thread here to read about the agents.

4: Trollfens or Lair of the Wyrm. People seem to think Lair of the Wyrm is maybe more fun, but Trollfens is more fair to the Overlord. Lair is skewed to the heroes.

Now you're up to about $50 in add-ons. I would call all of the above strongly suggested. If you want to keep going, then...

5: 1 more lieutenant from the base game and 1 more lieutenant from any expansion that you really like. You only need 1 lieutenant, total, and can only use 1 in any campaign. But you might find one that you really like, decide that's it, and then once all the heroes choose their characters realize that the plot deck doesn't really work against them. I was all set to use Belthir and then they chose heroes which would be able to avoid most traps so Belthir's plot deck wouldn't have been much use. But they all had low might so I switched to Valyndra.

If 2 of 3 of your lieutenants are from the base game, at absolute worst you bought 1 that you can't use. The others you can at least use their miniature in your campaign.

6: A set of paints and washes. Read the tutorials by Sam and Max on how to paint your figures. It will make the game 3 times better. There's so many details that you don't see when they're unpainted. For a number of them, you can't even tell what they are and the color brings them to life.

7: Whatever other expansion(s) you decide you like the most based on items, monsters, heroes, classes, or whatever. You can look through what they contain here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Jordan Cruz
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i'm under the impression that you can use ANY lieutenants on ANY campaign from ANY expansion. is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael M
Puerto Rico
del Noreste
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This and the Lieutenant question have been covered before, but I want to add a touch of wisdom and say that you may want to play the game first to see if you like it before delving into expansions

After playing the first one or two quests, you can add a lieutenant plot deck seamlessly by getting the appropriate amount of Threat tokens. It adds a nice decision layer to the Overlords turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MarcOfTheCross wrote:
i'm under the impression that you can use ANY lieutenants on ANY campaign from ANY expansion. is this correct?

95% correct.

Lieutenant packs are really three different things.
1: The miniature of the lieutenant.
2: A plot deck that gives you other ways to affect the heroes.
3: An agent card that lets you introduce the lieutenant into an encounter.

Really #3 is part of #2 but there are important differences that it makes sense to think of them separately.

You can always use #2, the plot decks, for any lieutenant, for any campaign, for any expansion. No problem whatsoever.

You can always use #3, the agent, unless that specific lieutenant appears in that specific encounter OR is the primary villain of the whole campaign. Then you can't, but you can still use their plot deck.

You can use #1, the miniature, whenever you are using #3, their agent card, OR if they appear in that specific encounter. You'll have cardboard tokens to use if you don't have the miniature, but having the miniature is just nicer.

So you can choose any lieutenant pack to use in any campaign you want. You might just get less or more use out of the whole pack depending on how else they fit into the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Rion
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
I bought the base game, and then immediately bought the dice (to have 2 copies since the game comes with one set) and some sleeves before playing. The sleeves are actually some what of a nightmare in that the sizing once sleeved is awkward. The dice have been very helpful. I'm thinking of getting the conversion kit or one of the two small sets or that first big set, but I want to wait until we knock out more games, this will be our second game night of it and I've played it thrice (had another group for the first play). We haven't touched the campaign (same with Pathfinder Card Game) because this isn't that kind of group, who wants a long-running investment, they like to play several board games in a night once a week, rotating what we play. So I can take it that the Conversion Kit is pretty amazing adding monster cards and hero cards. Although we get no new classes for the heroes or overlord. I suppose the heroes have been reviewed a lot from what I have seen, I'd like to get some monster review, that would really sell it to me, considering how limited it can feel to only have 3 selections for open groups given the wilderness/building etc. constraints. The buying of only one lieutenant pack idea was one I had thought of. I'm glad that others would agree that is a good plan. I'm thinking of going the Black Night the Sir Alric Farrow, the dead brother.

[Edit]

I'm looking at a bunch of the hero cards that didn't get images here on Board Game Geek in Google's Image search, and there are some way cool powers. I'd like to see the big debaters on here rank them in tiers maybe, because some of them seemed to be hated on more than others, most of the ones that got images on here seemed disliked.
The Conversion Kit just looks better and better you know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selwyn Hope
Australia
Cannington
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Pokemon, you gotta get them all.

More seriously, you might want to check out Nerdook's co-op variant (in the forum or files section), which gives you a better dungeon crawl experience than the overlord versus heroes race game Descent 2E currently is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Often asked question. Play before buying more if possible. If not, my suggested order:

1 (minimal): 1x Lt pack (valydnra or alric farrow)

2 (you want most content for minimal cash): 1x Lt pack, 1x big box expansion (labyrinth of ruin or shadow of nerekhall, nerekhall looks more interesting)

3 (know you will eventually buy everything anyways): 1x Lt pack, 1-2x small expansions which incorporate into any campaign (lair of the wyrm or trollfens) --> then eventually the rest when you finish your first campaign

noteworthy: upcoming content includes manor of ravens, a small box expansion and monster collection sets which are rebalanced versions of Descent v1.0 monsters, and new miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hladky
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
badge
Working on Perdition's Mouth game content
mbmbmbmbmb
I see no point in buying a coversion kit, unless you have the first edition of the game. Both Lair of the wyrm or Trollfens are a good choice for you, because they work well with the content you already have.

The big expansions are gorgeous and I love them, but if you wanna play them, you will leave aside the rest and it is wasting of money in the beginning. After you finish the core campaign several times, the new campaign in the big expansions will become invaluable.

Also one or two lieutnant packs could be helpful, because they add OL another possibilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't need the 1st edition for the conversion kit to be incredibly useful. The ability to choose and introduce variety is what is important. The small expansions give you 2 additional heroes and 2 additional monsters to choose from and use. The conversion kit gives you 48 heroes and 50 monsters. The expansions have other stuff: items, quests, classes, etc., but just for heroes and monsters, the CK has more than everything else combined at a fraction of the price.

You can use figures you already have to stand in for the ones which you don't. The base sizes are listed in various places and lists. Or you can use the files below to print off 3d paper tokens. They work just fine.

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/97581/3d-heroes-tokens-for...
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/93437/3d-monster-tokens-fo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If you're still playing the base game's campaign, I recommend getting one or both of the small box expansions (Lair of the Wyrm and The Trollfens). It adds new monsters that you can use in your current game, plus new Overlord class options.

If you haven't started The Shadow Rune yet, I'd also recommend getting a Lieutenant Pack (there are some popular LTs here but I'd honestly recommend going for whoever you like the most flavor-wise) that you can use to increase the Overlord's options.

I'd save the Big Box expansions (Labyrinth of Ruin and Shadow of Nerekhall) for after you've beaten the main game. They do add four heroes and four monster groups each, but you most likely won't want to play the campaign until after the Shadow Rune.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron D
United States
Erie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mat628 wrote:
4: Trollfens or Lair of the Wyrm. People seem to think Lair of the Wyrm is maybe more fun, but Trollfens is more fair to the Overlord. Lair is skewed to the heroes.

Anyone have any insight into how the 2 small box sets compare? I want to pick up one for my next play through to add the rumor cards and more variety but am unsure which to get. I have heard that LotW is unfair to OL a couple times but I am not sure why that is. Is it due to the OL cards, the monsters, the quests themselves, or something else? I have tried to read through the forums for each specific expansion but haven't found anything really comparing them.

For me as an OL, the infector deck looks cool but I know my friends would like another mage class (they are playing both the runemaster and necro in our first campaign).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
airdog4evr wrote:
Mat628 wrote:

Anyone have any insight into how the 2 small box sets compare? I want to pick up one for my next play through to add the rumor cards and more variety but am unsure which to get. I have heard that LotW is unfair to OL a couple times but I am not sure why that is. Is it due to the OL cards, the monsters, the quests themselves, or something else? I have tried to read through the forums for each specific expansion but haven't found anything really comparing them.

For me as an OL, the infector deck looks cool but I know my friends would like another mage class (they are playing both the runemaster and necro in our first campaign).

I haven't played with any Trollfens content yet, but I will say that in Lair of the Wyrm, the new OL class (Punisher) and the Fire Imps are kind of underwhelming. Hybrid Sentinels are awesome though, as is Valyndra. Both High Mage Quellen and Reynhart are top-notch heroes. The Champion class is great and the Geomancer is cool too. I find the quests to be well-balanced.

From what I know of Trollfens (unwrapping it on my birthday in a few days), the new OL class (Infector) is pretty awesome. And I like the sound of the Stalker hero class - laying traps for the monsters sounds pretty great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Jordan Cruz
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
raphaelus wrote:
This and the Lieutenant question have been covered before, but I want to add a touch of wisdom and say that you may want to play the game first to see if you like it before delving into expansions

After playing the first one or two quests, you can add a lieutenant plot deck seamlessly by getting the appropriate amount of Threat tokens. It adds a nice decision layer to the Overlords turn.

actually i'm currently playing an ongoing session (albeit as an adventurer) ran by a friend. i got my own copy so i can run sessions with my other play groups.

EDIT: we're playing core + trollfens btw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Labyrinth of Ruin and Shadows of Nerekhall add the most sheer stuff, BUT a huge part of that (quests and tiles) you won't use at all, it's for an entirely new campaign.

Lair of the Wyrm and Trollfens add in to your existing game - if you have a relatively 'on it' group and don't mind going from a 9-quest to an 11-quest campaign, they're well worth it. The rules overhead they add is minor, and a couple of extra classes and monsters for each is manageable.

Equally picking up a Lieutenant pack is a decent option, as they add a few extra rules that make being an Overlord a lot more fun. If you don't know which to get and don't want to research it, just get Splig. He crops up a lot in the campaign any way, so you'll get to use the (cool) mini, but you still have the option of bringing him in as an agent for other quests.

The conversion kit has it's own problems - notably having 50 new monsters and heroes is nice, but for a first game you're probably going to want to direct players towards picking the hero 'designed' for the class they want any way. And for the Overlord, sure 50 new monster groups is great until you realise you have to pick through 30 of them each quest to choose your open groups. Honestly I use just 2E and all the current expansions, and find monster group selection is still the most difficult and time consuming decision you have to make as an Overlord. Which is fine if that's what you want, but for a first campaign there's such a thing as too much choice!

In conclusion: I'd grab Lair of the Wyrm, Trollfens and Splig. Or just one of the first two if you're on a tight budget.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
airdog4evr wrote:
[q="Mat628"]. I have heard that LotW is unfair to OL a couple times but I am not sure why that is. Is it due to the OL cards, the monsters, the quests themselves, or something else?

Mostly: it's a mix of the quests being among the easier ones for the heroes, and the hero rewards for said quests in a campaign being really good (and the Overlord ones being quite mediocre).

It's probably also fair to say that the hero classes introduced in LotW are really good, while the Trollfens ones are just decent. Meanwhile the monsters and Overlord class introduced in Trollfens are really good while in LotW, not so much (well, Hybrid Sentinals from LotW are great, but Imps are not).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Janski
Poland
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for posting. I just read through all your posts and they are pretty helpful. I got LotW just after the core game and I didn't regret that. The heroes are very interesting, Hybrid Sentinels are awesome (and make my life as an OL easier) and the 'theme' of the expansion is great, in my opinion, way better than Trollfens'

I had a bit of a dilemma lately: I wanted to get the conversion kit and D1 minis, but in the end I decided that's not 'worth it.' Yes, that adds variation, but too much of it for my taste (the mentioned lengthy stoppages; and I'm quite worried that from all that apparent variation, you'll end up using 2-3 monsters, which are way better than the rest). However, the decisive aspect were D1 sculpts - I don't want to mix the 'quality' and 'aesthetics' of the minis.

Having said that, I wanted badly to get something for this awesome game. However, big box expansions are pretty expensive AND I haven't finished the Dragon Rune campaign. Hence, I decided (and some of you seem to reassure me in that decision) to postpone the purchase of a big expansion until I'll play through the core game's campaign.

So, if you recommend lieutenant packs so much, I'll probably grab the Dragon or Alric

All in all, although my heart tells me to buy all the stuff just for the sake of having it (and having a chance of painting those nice minis), reason tells me this:

1. core game
2. small box expansion for the 2 monsters and some nice quests (as I said, I liked LotW a lot)
3. lieutenant pack
4. patience - play through the core game's campaign
5. big box expansion (Shadow of Nerekhall seems EXTREMELY cool, with the urban/demonic theme... I'm sure I'll get that one first).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If you want more options for monsters, without spending the exorbitant amount on the first edition minis, they are releasing the Heroes & Monsters Collections which revamps the first edition heroes and monsters with new sculpts and art to fit in better with 2nd edition. I'd recommend waiting for those (the first one should be out in the next few weeks). So you won't have to mix the quality with the first edition's.

As for picking the same old monsters... I don't think that's the case. Each monster has pretty unique powers... sometimes you'll need the Merriod in order to grab the heroes and immobilize them, or you'll need the Ettins to impede their progress and strike with the Reach ability. Obviously, zombies and goblin archers aren't the go-to monsters, but I personally like to keep it flavorful, and honestly... a lot of quests require you to use them anyway.

As an Overlord player, I would definitely recommend switching up the monsters the most you can. Hero players get really bored seeing the Shadow Dragons for the 9th time.

LotW was the best decision, I think. I recommend getting the Trollfens soon, too (even if the theme isn't as great as LotW in your opinion), as they provide pretty great monsters with the Harpies and the Plague Worms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Doctor
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PretzelTwist wrote:
[...]LotW was the best decision, I think. I recommend getting the Trollfens soon, too (even if the theme isn't as great as LotW in your opinion), as they provide pretty great monsters with the Harpies and the Plague Worms.

I totally second that. The Hybrid Sentinels are mean, but the Plague Worms are awesome!

I ended up winning last session as an OL ("What's yours is Mine") by TPK. The worms was a constant nuisance, splitting the heroes up as they went. The finale was the bunching of all the heroes together so that my master Hybrid Sentinel could kill them all with one incredible fire breath.

Their treasure hunters is always whipping my poor monsters into positions from where the berzerker can slaughter them all with Whirlwind. Well, tit for tat...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.