Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Waszczuk
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The kickstarter is not proving to be as successful as some had hoped, and while I arrived late I wanted to do what I could to help because the concept/mechanics behind the game are interesting, if only with regards to the fact that the closest I have seen to something like this is Super Dungeon Explore, and their "arcade game" themed dungeon crawl.

That being said, after watching the gameplay tutorial videos I wanted to share my opinion (right or wrong, I'll let you decide) on what could be done to improve the game if Succubus Publishing opted to cancel the current kickstarter and started over again. Here are my suggestions:

* Standard Tokens - In the demo Marika and Octavius each had their own unique token (Time/Empower), but as the character card has all the rules there is no real need for the tokens being unique. So why not create 16 standard tokens (for 2v2 games), because then you could do something special... you could upgrade the tokens into plastic or metal coins, something with an "arcade game" feel to them. For reference I pointed to the metal coins used by Tuscany: Expand the World of Viticulture.

* "Burst" Token - When the burst token was first mentioned I assumed it was meant for multiple (i.e. "a burst of") attacks. When it was eventually explained that the burst token was instead used to prevent damage I found it confusing. I felt the term, "Burst", was counter-intuitive to its real purpose. As such, I would suggest renaming the token to "Block" or "Guard".

* Artwork - I was impressed by the artwork, however, my impression changed suddenly as I scrolled down past Ree and came across The Grounds Keeper. Now I'm no artist, but I was confused as to why the quality of the artwork seemed to radically shift between those two characters. While no a major point, it would be nice if all the artwork was the same quality (as shown in the full-sized poster).

* Hazards - My initial impression is that there are two ways to win: Knock-out or Ring-out. And while 1v1 and 2v2 do add something extra, it would be beneficial to add more diversity to the strategy. One key area is the maps themselves. Why not include environmental hazards? Then players could try to throw or knock opponents into such hazard squares, whether it's spikes (auto-damage), fire (persistent damage), or icy surfaces (auto-knockdown)... it would allow map tiles to have varied stratgies inherent to the tile itself.

* Card Variance - In a fighting game each characters has moves and in AoE those abilities are expressed as cards. However in a fighting game the player can choose, at will, what they want to do and there is no random (card drawing) element. That being said, while the abilities of fighting game characters are set in stone, I think from the card mechanic perspective it would be interesting if each character came with 5 extra cards that they could swap into the character's card deck, replacing up to 5 "default" cards. In this way card counting, while indicated to be a stretagy of sorts, would not be as effective depending on what cards were swapped in/out by the player prior to starting the game match. While I wouldn't want to make a direct comparison, it would be similar to a side board in M:tG, as I am not necessarily suggesting the cards serve only as counters to specific enemies.

I could suggest more, but for now I would liek to hear what others think on these topics or if you have suggestions of your own. Note, I chose not to cover the aspects of the game that I like, again, because that would just make the post too long. One thing at a time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoss Cartwright
United States
California
flag msg tools
Nobody will buy a game with the name : Assemblage of Eternity..... Yea that just rolls off the tongue

You got to be kidding me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Waszczuk
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoss Cartwright wrote:
Nobody will buy a game with the name : Assemblage of Eternity..... Yea that just rolls off the tongue

So I'll jot you down for: "Suggest changing the game's name".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ken watanabe
United States
mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Waszczuk
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kenchan13 wrote:
More minis.

As I understand it backers raised this as a concern during the Kickstarter.

I agree that the base game, with only 4 characters, does not provide much variety. When they re-launch the Kickstarter I would recommend they revise the base game box to include Rinehart and Kamala, raising the base game to 6 characters.

From there they could include both free stretch goal add-on characters (which could even be included in the base game, and thus for all pledge levels) and purchasable add-on characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Teague

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
I would rather have more characters then minis. The game also has direct competition with Battlecon and Yomi, Its a little bit of a mixture of both. You could get either of those games for around the same price point as the kickstarter and have way more variety of characters.

I like the art, the combo system and use of power gauge are nice concepts that are done differently then either Yomi, and Battlecon.

7-8 characters minimum on launch as part of the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Waszczuk
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Empty1320 wrote:
The game also has direct competition with Battlecon and Yomi, Its a little bit of a mixture of both.

I'm not familiar with either game. Would you care to list the pros/cons of each game (i.e. mechanics), and compare them to AoE?

Quote:
I would rather have more characters then minis.

Quote:
7-8 characters minimum on launch as part of the base game.

Interesting. Since in AoE each character is represented by a miniature, I wonder if one solution wouldn't be what I suggested above with "card variance". Namely you would have, say, 6 miniatures/characters, but include additional ability cards to increase re-playability and strategy. Depending what cards you add, you could alter how the character plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.