Subject: Best list with no extra expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All this talk about what extra ships to buy. And combos like XXYY and XXBB and swarms, etc., etc. got me thinking.

Let's say a player only owned one of everything released so far for X-Wing.

Can that person put together a competitive list that way? Or does tournament play require that you have a duplicate of one or more expansion packs?

Also take into consideration that you the models in Imperial Aces that can be used as generic Tie Interceptors. Which was discussed here.

Is it possible to put together something that'll win? Or will you get your teeth kicked in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Fella
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to me someone once made a list consisting of one of each of the rebel star fighters at a decent pilot skill level. They called it "ABXY" or "The SNES Controller"

I would think if you could fly it decently you'd do alright!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chewie plus x-wing plus b-wing
ABXY
2 tie, 1 int, firespray
darth, bomber, 1 int, 2 tie if needed

Just to name a few.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Olivier
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You certainly can have something competitive with 1 of everything.
I think the Rebels may have the slight advantage here. X-wings, A-wings, and Y-wings are all great right out of the package. XXYA is a great squad. I'm not their biggest fan, but there isn't anything wrong with a B, either. I can't speak for the Falcon or HWK, I haven't flown them.

With 1 of everything, Imps will be a little tougher, but as long as you know each ship's role and place, you'll be fine. 3 TIEs as a base, perhaps led by Mithel. Add a flanking Interceptor, add some oomph with Firespray and/or Bomber.

The real trick is making a plan more than what you have on the table. Offer your opponent a few different targets to choose from so things don't fall apart when one vital ship is blown up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My collection for a while was only 1 of everything. I ran lots of successful builds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lunar Sol
msg tools
mb
Rebels get XX out of the Core set and single expansion, so there are definitely a lot of options that work there. XXB* or XXFalcon or XXWhatever, works great. In truth, the only extra expansions I own for my Rebel army are 1 extra B-Wing and the extra core set I bought mostly for the Imperials.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
patox wrote:
Is it possible to put together something that'll win? Or will you get your teeth kicked in?

You won't get your teeth kicked in. Don't forget that a good player will find a way to win with almost any list and that you can only get good by playing lots of games.

I like the challenge of your post though.

Off the top of my head, as mentioned up thread the obvious and many versions of Falcon + support ships would be competitive.

Personally I'd try the following because A-wings are fun:

Tycho + Push
Blue + Hvy Laser
Rookie
Rookie

Set up the PS 2's in a corner and then flank with Tycho. Rush up with the X-Wings for 4 dice shots, keep the Blue back at range for 4 dice shots.

When Chardaan comes out you can put Expert handling on Tycho, or run him with expert handling now if it's a friendly game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Krassis + Heavy Laser Cannon
Soontir + Push the Limit
Turr + Veteran Instinct

That uses two pilots from the TIE Interceptor expansion, but you can use one (or both) of the models from the Imperial Aces pack with those pilots.

I haven't seen this list win a tournament, but I've flown it casually and done very well with it. It makes a lot of non-turret squads look silly, but probably fails against TIE Swarm and double Falcons (neither of which meet your criteria).

*edit*
Actually, you have access to 3 TIE Fighters and 3 TIE Interceptors all together. Unfortunately Imperial Aces doesn't include any Alpha Squadron Pilots, so you can't quite do a Howlrunner-led swarm (Howler + 2x Academy + 2x Sabre + Alpha comes in at 102 points), but you could have Dark Curse instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
patox wrote:
Let's say a player only owned one of everything released so far for X-Wing.

Can that person put together a competitive list that way? Or does tournament play require that you have a duplicate of one or more expansion packs?

The old-fashioned Han Shot first is still viable, since presumably this challenge includes both a core set and an X-wing expansion. There are XXBY lists that will work, too.

On the Imperial side it's much, much more difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Woodworth
Japan
flag msg tools
Vorpal Sword wrote:

I run a fairly strong imperial list...

Omicron Shuttle + Darth Vader.
NightBeast
Backstabber
Scimitar w Proton Torps and a seismic charge.
Lt. Lorrir

After playing a close game with Hothie, I'm looking forward to swapping out nightbeast for winged gundark... So far I'm 9-0 with the list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ravncat wrote:
Vorpal Sword wrote:

I run a fairly strong imperial list...

Omicron Shuttle + Darth Vader.
NightBeast
Backstabber
Scimitar w Proton Torps and a seismic charge.
Lt. Lorrir

After playing a close game with Hothie, I'm looking forward to swapping out nightbeast for winged gundark... So far I'm 9-0 with the list.

That's an interesting list. My one use of Lorrir so far was a disaster- I found that without the ability to barrel roll/boost then focus my shots would often be wasted. Doing a nifty drift beside an XWing then rolling two hits and two focus is such a shame. He was too expensive to fly like an Alpha, but not good enough to fly like a PtL pilot.

I always like lists with Vader shuttles and interceptors, though, and have built about 100 in the past few weeks (but haven't had a chance to use any).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick R
Canada
Fredericton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great thread! My collection is more-or-less like what the OP describes (one of each release plus 1 extra TIE, but no Aces). It may take a little practice and trial/error to find the squad that works for you, but you'll definitely be competitive enough to have fun. I've placed 2nd in a store tournament using XXBA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now my got to Imperial list is:

Howlrunner
Backstabber
Alpha x 3
Academy

If we are counting the Imp Aces as one of the expansions, you should have 3 TIEs and 3 Interceptors, so this works. I don't recall if the Alpha pilot was available in the aces pack though. An easy swap would be a BH+Recon for 2 of the Alphas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.