Subject: Games for a Lunchtime group rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Brzezinski
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi, I can use a little help. I'm looking for some suggestions for games to play with a lunchtime group. The games should be relatively fast (probably no more than 30 minutes), not take too long to set up or break down, and fairly easy to explain to new players. The games should also be able to handle 2 players minimum, and up to 4 players.

For the record, We have played nearly every variant of Fluxx (except Martian Fluxx), along with Zombie Dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
6 nimmt!

11 nimmt!

Kingdoms

Saga

Hungry

TransAmerica -- for 2, it's better if you add Vexation expansion

Ivanhoe

Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper

Wyatt Earp

San Juan

Ingenious

Blokus

Risk Express

Tichu-- not for 2 players, though

Great Wall of China

Qwixx

Hanabi - cooperative card game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brzezinski
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hanabi is definitely on my short list. I'll have to look into the other ones and see what they are all about.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Love Letter would be good for you guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Martino
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eight-Minute Empire
König von Siam
Catacombs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a buddy who has a similar lunchtime gaming group. Their favourites:
Dominion
San Juan
Race for the Galaxy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Meeker
United States
Camano Island
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels is great with 4-5. With more than that it gets a bit lengthy. Additionally, it works pretty well with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brzezinski
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We tried Love Letter when there were only two people and it did not go all that well (we may have been made some play errors). I may try it again with more people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brzezinski
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I may try Dominion. I have Race For The Galaxy, but I have to read the rules better before I try to pop that on them. The only thing I'm afraid of with both of those (and other deck builders) is that it may take a while to play. We're used to getting in three to five games in when we play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
ChyronDave wrote:
I may try Dominion. I have Race For The Galaxy, but I have to read the rules better before I try to pop that on them. The only thing I'm afraid of with both of those (and other deck builders) is that it may take a while to play. We're used to getting in three to five games in when we play.

[Pedantic]
RftG is not a deckbuilder.
[/Pedantic]

You can download Keldon AI for your PC. The link should be in the game's page.
I learned the game this way, just make sure to keep the rulebook at hand the first few times.
Also I think one game in 30m is doable, but the first few games may take longer. If you know the rules well you can speed up the "mechanical" part, I think it would help a lot.

Another quick game for your consideration: Fairy Tale.
Card drafting, something like 20 minutes 4 players, after the first couple of games. Very simple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
Aliso Viejo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My personal favorite is Parade that fits your bill.

It plays 2-6 players. It scales really well, although some people debate with 5~6 players it gets a bit chaotic. I don't mind that because these fillers are just to help us pass time. We don't need them to be prefect information with no luck. Since your group is only up to 4, I say this game is perfect.

It plays around 30min with 5~6 but can be shorter with less. It is easy to set up. (shuffle, deal out the cards, begin) Easy to clean up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brzezinski
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My apologies for misdescribing Race for the Galaxy. Fairy Tale looks interesting, I'll have to check that one out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john withers
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Marvel Dice Masters
New but fun and fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NOIR: Deductive Mystery Game is fantastic with 2, 3, or 4 players.

AttrAction is a dexterity game, but everyone I've introduced this too always asks to play it again right away. You can get 2 - 3 games in within 30 minutes.

I'm not a big fan of Citadels with 2 players, but some people like it, and it does work great with 3 - 4. Regardless, it's a great game that should be in everyone's collection.

Escape: The Curse of the Temple plays in 10 minutes flat. It plays well with 2 - 4 players. You just need a way to play the soundtrack! I'm not sure about the setup and takedown, though.

Hey, That's My Fish! is the perfect game for this. Don't be thrown off by the penguin theme. Everyone I've shown this to asks where they can buy it.

Qin, if you can find it, would also be wonderful for this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brzezinski
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I will probably try this game out if I can manage to find a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael nut
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second Parade as a great lunchtime game, you should also have a look at this list for reviews on suitability (obviously this will vary based on your player group) Lunchtime games.

It's a great way to break up the working day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kalevi1999 wrote:
Konig Von Siam is hardly easy to explain... and if you get someone prone to AP then you'll be stuck at the gaming table for a very long time while their brain implodes before your very eyes.

Parade is a great option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Hihn
Germany
Walddorfhäslach
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try one of these really cool little card games:

Palastgeflüster
Meuterer
Verräter

Don't be discouraged by the german names of these. All of them are 95% language independent. The only thing that is in german are the card names. But the actions on the cards have pretty straightforward iconography and the rules are included in english as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Sale is excellent. There is a challenging 2 player variant in the forums that uses a dummy bidder. A game with 4 or 5 players takes about 20 minutes. Plays up to 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
The new Port Royal hits all your marks. It's fast (30 mins), consisting of only a deck of cards, fast set up and tear down, and easy to explain.

It's also good with two and playable with up to five players. Check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
ChyronDave wrote:
My apologies for misdescribing Race for the Galaxy.

Sorry, I did not want to sound harsh, maybe adding a smiley would have helped

I was not expecting an apology... (also because it was pedantic, but that is one of few things I am pedantic about)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ChyronDave wrote:
We tried Love Letter when there were only two people and it did not go all that well (we may have been made some play errors). I may try it again with more people.

It plays much better with 3 or 4; best with four.

While I do enjoy playing it, I think of Love Letter more as a filler game rather something that everyone looks forward to playing day after day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Renwick
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coup is pretty good with 4 or more, less than that and its a bit too simple.

It fits your quick and simple rules though. If you start pulling more than 4 people, I would say Coup would be a great pick up for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael T. Yurcaba
United States
Lansdowne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would second the vote for Hey, That's My Fish!
A great quick, fun, easy game. The biggest drawback is setup but review the files section and such for some suggestions and solutions.

Also, I would second the suggestion for Coup
And would agree it's best for four.

I would add, Unexploded Cow
Again... quick, fun, easy to explain. You can even download a PnP version from the publisher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael T. Yurcaba
United States
Lansdowne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, wow! Almost forgot.

One of my absolute favorites for a quickie, easy to explain, game... Tsuro

Anyone I've taught the game to picks it up super fast and they've always enjoyed playing it.
It looks great, has interesting play and is easy to pick up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.