Subject: Could the BattleTech CCG return as an LCG? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander Kuprijanow
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Netrunner and Shadowfist have already been successfully revived as LCGs. L5R ist still going strong. The mighty cool Deadlands CCG will come back harrowed from the dead this fall, to name another hit card game from the 90s.

How would things look with a re-awakening of the (once) very popular Richard Garfield CCG, one of the coolest tactical card games of the 90s based on one of the most venerable sci-fi giant robot franchises ever?

I know that at the moment, Catalyst owns the BattleTech license. Surely, they would not launch a card game line on their own, but (to ponder a whee bit), could FFG or another suitable card game publisher acquire the license like they did with Star Wars, LotR and Warhammer/40k? Why the mess? Well, the question of how and when Deadlands could be brought back was heavily discussed on BGG. Most participants agreed that the chances for a Deadlands CCG comeback were neglectable - and yet Doomtown Reloaded proved them all wrong, heading right for GenCon 2014. Heck, I'd take the original game design even if it would be based on something more remote like Gun Griffon, Armored Core, Zone of Enders or Hawken.

All this surely sounds like coffee cup reading - and of course, it is. I'd like to hear some notions from other old-time BattleTech fans, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian George
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rights are probably a bit mor complicated than that. Catalyst is actually a licensor from tools, and then it was originally a wotc game, so I imagine they have some right as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Tjarks
United States
Crowley
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Id love this, but im not holding my breath.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you might be interested in the fan-created BattleTech: Domination deck-building card game . Although BTD was inspired by the classic medieval deck-builder Dominion and is not a LCG in the truest sense, I think it may scratch your itch. BTD is also available for play online using Vassal so you don't need to do any custom printing to try the game, although the game module doesn't enforce rules or auto-resolve the play of the cards so you need to know the rules first.

The folks at Catalyst are aware of BTD and have expressed an interest but its not clear if anything will come of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Bohne
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The license situation wasn't easy for Netrunner as well, yet it came back from the dead. I'm afraid though that the Battletech CCG doesn't have that cult aura such as Netrunner. I'd rather expect the Vampire CCG to be respawned...

All that being said, I'd love to see Battletech's comeback happen!

HomerJr wrote:
The folks at Catalyst are aware of BTD and have expressed an interest but its not clear if anything will come of it.

That's interesting news...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yit Ng
Malaysia
kuala lumpur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully they change some things, otherwise I'll adopt the Resource screw technique as will most other people. Getting 7 damage out by turn 2 or 3 and actively limiting your resource options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.