Popular Tags: [View All]
Lucas Maciel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys and girls,

my main gaming partner is my fiancee, who plays co-op games almost exclusively. It's not actually a problem because it's also my favorite type of game. However, there are some themes and mechanics that I feel I'm left out because they are not co-op. Thus, I'm looking for boardgames with really solid co-op variants that I could play regularly with my fiancee but also get to play it in a competitive group.

tl;dr: Best competitive games with co-op variants or best co-op variants to good games.

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R H
United States
Bethany
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight is going to be a popular response. Definitely do your research on this one though. It's rules and be fiddly, but the game is great. Ricky Royal's videos are great for learning and getting a feel for the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_zW9zDxeYU&list=PLB7C824980...

I also play Eclipse fairly non confrontational. Will beef up the NPC's if we want some good ship battles.

I recently acquired Merchants and Marauders, and although I haven't played it co-op, I could see this being played none confrontational and still being fun. I believe there are solo variants, which should be easily adaptable to co-op.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah ...
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played both these games as coops but they can be played competitive as well and have their own rules for that (which I'm sure in the books are probably listed before co-op ways to play, but don't remember)

Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game

A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been having a lot of fun playing Betrayal at House on the Hill co-operatively.

2 players. Each player plays 2 characters. Once the haunt is revealed, the non-traitor, inherents the remaining non-traitor and it becomes 1 player controlling 3 characters against the 1 traitor player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RruinerR wrote:
Mage Knight is going to be a popular response.

Yep. An excellent game solo, competitive, or co-op, but like he said, it's not for everyone, and some might not like one or two out of those three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
colmmccarthy wrote:
Space Empires: 4X - solo, co-op, semi co-op, 2, 3, 4 players. You name it. It does it

Ya know, I've known about this game for awhile but never gave it much thought until now and it's going on my wishlist. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rune Age has a handful of scenarios that range from competitive to co-op to solo. It's a nice simple deck-builder with variable player powers, though it's a little thin on content. I don't have the expansion, so I don't know how much it helps that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlestar Galactica has a nice co-op 2 player variant. It gets better with more players, and even with known bad guys, there is a lot of co-op to it (and sometimes, even the bad guys are helping.....).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Maciel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Empire 4X looks awesome but the rulebook doesn't mention any co-op mode. There is a solitaire scenario, but is it playable and balanced with two players?

Merchants & Marauders also got me interested but I haven't found co-op variants as well.

To take advantage of this discussion, is Archipelago playable in pure co-op?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
All the flying frog games especially:

Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game
Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game
A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game

Also Ghost Stories and Pandemic have expansions which make the game competitive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Maciel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Conquest of Planet Earth looks like a fun game.

And Space Empires definitely goes to my wishlist! The game looks awesome and I think the expansion will be a must.

If anyone has any information on M&M and Archipelago as pure co-ops, that would be much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If anyone has any information on M&M and Archipelago as pure co-ops, that would be much appreciated.

Check out this thread for a BGG user's idea for a full co-op variant for Archipelago:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1113875/idea-for-full-co-op-...

Looks good to me, but I haven't tried it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.