Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an idea that hit my last night, and I've just written up a first draft of the rules and some of the cards. Hasn't been playtested yet, obviously...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/12f0VpSZAga4GHd5cTrC775H5...

Basically, the idea is a push-your-luck game like Incan Gold/Diamant, where people are trying to decide whether they want to continue or not. Unlike that game, though, they have some information available to them... They know which cards they have, and how many cards other players have, and can try and make an informed guess.

Some notable features that may not immediately come across just from reading the rules...

1. The way the combo attack system works, if players work together they can do a ton of damage pretty easily. Additionally, if one player manages to get a few cards of the same type, they can also do a ton of damage and quite likely defeat a room even if everyone else ditches them.

2. On the flipside, you could also bluff the opposite way... Play your powerful cards early on, and then leave with a hand full of cards when people expected you to stay.

3. There's a leveling mechanic intended to reward smart play. If you die, you lose a level. If you were one of the last people to leave the dungeon safely, you gain a level. Your level is your starting hand size.

4. The gold works much like Incan Gold, except that there's an explicit amount of gold given to each player and an explicit amount set aside. This allows for having rooms that give lots of gold to people but not much to be split, or vice versa.

5. In a worst-case scenario, any three cards can be played as strikes to do 10 damage.

6. Completed combos are intended to represent the bulk of the damage dealt, and are worth 10, 15, or 30 points of damage depending on the type. Hopefully this should make adding up the total damage easy.

7. A player without cards can always choose to continue on and mooch off the other players. There's nothing they can really do about it, except leave themselves.

8. The continue and return cards would have the same card back as the main deck. This is because there are also betrayal cards, which are played instead of a continue or return card; the betrayal cards have you return to town, and also make the next room more difficult for your 'allies'.

Anyways, that's all for now... Like I said, it's something I just came up with last night and I've been thinking about all day. So it's going to be pretty rough... But I don't think there are any glaring holes. I'd like the game to work best with 4-8 players. Still need to come up with more cards, traps in particular, and need to figure out what sort of values to have for health, gold, and loot for rooms (I'm pretty sure all rooms are going to have 0-1 monsters and 0-1 traps).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keen to see this progress some more... if you want to make some "quick and easy" cards for playtesting, have a look at the fonts over at http://dingfonts.com/dingbats/fantastic/.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Neat, thanks.

Might try to put together a deck over the weekend. Problem is I use nanDeck so infrequently I have to re-learn it every time I do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
Neat, thanks.

Might try to put together a deck over the weekend. Problem is I use nanDeck so infrequently I have to re-learn it every time I do.

Yeah, that sounds familiar. I'm frequently tempted by the "dark side" of using M$ Word. Someday I will write a small (?!) Python program that takes some very basic inputs, with a chunk of common defaults, that generates a typical nanCardDeck...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Nand
Italy
Modena
flag msg tools
Best. Game. Ever.
badge
I wrote nanDECK and BGG1tool
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:

Have you seen the visual editor? Maybe it could shorten this "re-learning" time

Visual editor - create a deck of cards without writing a single line of code with nanDECK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen that, but I have an intense dislike of WYSIWYG editors. I'm a software developer by trade, and I feel a lot more comfortable typing the stuff out.

What I'd really like is syntax highlighting for nanDeck for Textmate/Sublime Text. One of these days I'll have to go and do that myself...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.