9 Posts

Dark Darker Darkest» Forums » Rules

Subject: Zombie horde appears nearby vs. zombie spawning rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Belgium
Kuringen
flag msg tools
There are only two truths in the world: men are smarter than women and the earth is flat!
badge
"Ahhhhgr!"
mbmbmbmbmb
During zombie spawning, if you roll a 6 or role coordinates that puts them in a closed or destroyed room, you put zombies on an adjacent tile in line of sight of a tile with at least 1 survivor.

When you roll the terror die you can place them also on an diagonal adjacent tile not in line of sight.

Why the different rule here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Waszczuk
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope you wanted a long-winded answer.

The two rules you are referring to are:

Zombie spawning (event)
4) If the tile is destroyed or consists entirely of a single locked room, locate a non-burning tile adjacent to, but within line of sight of, a tile with at least one survivor. Once located, place the number of zombies indicated by the token onto this tile. If more than one option exists, the players may choose. If no eligible rooms exist, then the players may place the token face-down on any non-burning tile in the house.

Zombie horde appears nearby (Terror Die)
If possible, a zombie spawn token is placed on a tile orthogonally or diagonally adjacent to the tile where the triggering team is located. If line of sight is established, the spawn token is immediately converted to a horde. The spawn token may not be placed in a locked room.

So, to be clear, during the terror event you are not always placing the zombie spawn in a tile that is out of LoS, but it can be. That minor point aside, yes, the wording is different between the two spawn actions.

Secondly, keep in mind that the zombie spawn event is a global event that affects all the survivors in the house, while the terror event is triggered by the active group (which may very well be all the survivors if you only have one team) so it specifically targets that team (not inactive groups).

As to why? David would probably be the best person to answer this with a 100% definitive answer. That being said, I'll share my thoughts.

In my opinion the rules are only slightly different, and primarily focus on the situation that spawned the zombies. Would it be better if they were exactly the same? Yes, since it would be easier to remember, but the two events themselves are inherently different. One is a random spawn while the other is an attack (or "punishment", for rolling the terror event).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
Kuringen
flag msg tools
There are only two truths in the world: men are smarter than women and the earth is flat!
badge
"Ahhhhgr!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoping a long-winded answer actually

I bought the game recently so I was "lucky" to have the revised rules. It was something we discovered we did wrong. We put the zombies adjacent in los after the terror die, so it struck me odd, hence the question.

rwaszczuk wrote:

In my opinion the rules are only slightly different, and primarily focus on the situation that spawned the zombies. Would it be better if they were exactly the same? Yes, since it would be easier to remember, but the two events themselves are inherently different. One is a random spawn while the other is an attack (or "punishment", for rolling the terror event).

This makes perfect sense to me, but I would have done the opposite though e.g. Terror -> adj + los, spawn -> adj

Great game! Took a few plays to really get into it... Haven't won though, but unlocked the laboratory once zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Waszczuk
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nephilim wrote:
This makes perfect sense to me, but I would have done the opposite though e.g. Terror -> adj + los, spawn -> adj

Well you're free to take that up with David.

Fun Fact: I spoke with David about increasing the mansion to 4x6 tiles, thus eliminating the need for the "rolled 6" rule. However play tests apparently showed a 4x6 mansion was a bit too large. Ah well.

Quote:
Great game! Took a few plays to really get into it... Haven't won though, but unlocked the laboratory once zombie

If you haven't tried it already, try splitting your team into two groups. This allows you to search more areas while reducing the chances of triggering a terror event (it's worth the lower search rate).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has this always been the case? I've always played with adjacent and within LoS in both cases...

They may be different circumstances but I don't see how adding 2 different resolutions is necessary. That is the definition of fiddliness!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rwaszczuk wrote:

Fun Fact: I spoke with David about increasing the mansion to 4x6 tiles, thus eliminating the need for the "rolled 6" rule. However play tests apparently showed a 4x6 mansion was a bit too large. Ah well.

There is a simple way of eliminating the "rolled 6" rule as you call it if you wish. Roll a d20 if you have one. Count top to bottom, left to right. I would hate to think that that was the reason the "rolled 6" rule was made... just to compensate an extra "6" on the die.

Anyway, you could make that a house rule that would also make it slightly easier. Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Waszczuk
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Logus Vile wrote:
Has this always been the case? I've always played with adjacent and within LoS in both cases...

Well the easiest way to verify would be to check in the physical copy of the rulebook, for comparison (I don't have a copy with me at work). As such, I cannot say.

Quote:
They may be different circumstances but I don't see how adding 2 different resolutions is necessary. That is the definition of fiddliness!

Well keep in mind that David did base some of his mechanics on theme. As I noted above, the zombie spawn event is a random spawn that places a zombie horde/token somewhere in the house as part of the game's natural progression. While the zombie spawn from the terror event targets the survivors from the current active group that triggered them.

Logus Vile wrote:
There is a simple way of eliminating the "rolled 6" rule as you call it if you wish. Roll a d20 if you have one. Count top to bottom, left to right. I would hate to think that that was the reason the "rolled 6" rule was made... just to compensate an extra "6" on the die.

That is a solution, but it wouldn't be as fast as finding a column/row. I still think a 4x6 tile house would be the easiest solution. But that's just my opinion.

As to whether the D6 led to the "6" rule, or it was a rule David wanted and he implemented it by using a 4x5 house... only he can answer that question.

Quote:
Anyway, you could make that a house rule that would also make it slightly easier. Cheers!

Exactly. My group uses a few house rules, for example we do allow zombies to spawn in burning/locked rooms. And I'm tempted to try a 4x6 house...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Meyer
Switzerland
Luzern
Schweiz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rwaszczuk wrote:

Exactly. My group uses a few house rules, for example we do allow zombies to spawn in burning/locked rooms. house...

Zombies do spawn in burning rooms anyway. No need for a house rule here. They just don't spawn in destroyed or locked rooms.

Or did you mean, when a 6 was rolled?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Waszczuk
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scubaroo wrote:
Zombies do spawn in burning rooms anyway. No need for a house rule here. They just don't spawn in destroyed or locked rooms.

Or did you mean, when a 6 was rolled?

The conflict here is that the term "destroyed" was used, which refers to the reverse side of a tile. However, a destroyed tile is only a tile with 3 burn markers on it (as it deals 3 fire damage to enter/occupy). This wording issue is further compounded by the fact that the same rule requires players to locate a "non-burning tile" to spawn the zombies instead, rather than a "non-destroyed tile". Indicating that a burning tile is not an acceptable spawn point... but only if the initial spawn tile was destroyed (not burning). You see what I mean?

The reason for this conflict may arisen due to changes in the rules pertaining to spreading fire and destroyed/burning rooms. then again, this doesn't break anything, so it's fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.