Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Görtzen
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We recently discovered that we played the "infinity"-cards incorrectly. However, this lead to another question regarding the calculation and execution of movement actions.

I'll be using the basic movement card for an example (R = River, M = Mountain): Meeple faces RRMMRR. Player spends 2 Food and 1 Horse with strength 3. Is it possible to
a) move only RRMM, because 2 River movements get lost?
b) move RR-MM-RR because the three activations of the card can be mapped to three distinct moves? (so RR-MM-RR works, but not RMRRMR for example)
c) move the full 6 spaces, because the terrain types add up to the ones generated by the action card?

In other words, does a movement consist of ONE River and ONE Mountain travel (of some lengths) in R-M or M-R order, or does it consist of x River spaces, and y Mountain spaces in arbitrary order?

Thanks for any help!

For those curious, we used to think that the infinity-cards could only have strength 1, and would apply to each activation of a movement-card. For example, a +1 Mountain movement would give +1 as many times as a movement card generated mountain movements. We then executed each activation on its own (correctly ignoring other characters until the final move). However, with the corrected rule regarding the calculation of infinity-cards, this approach does not work anymore, as you only have a sum of movements to work with instead of distinct movements given by the strength of the movement card. I hope this is understandable :).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SimonG wrote:
I'll be using the basic movement card for an example (R = River, M = Mountain): Meeple faces RRMMRR. Player spends 2 Food and 1 Horse with strength 3. Is it possible to
a) move only RRMM, because 2 River movements get lost?
b) move RR-MM-RR because the three activations of the card can be mapped to three distinct moves? (so RR-MM-RR works, but not RMRRMR for example)
c) move the full 6 spaces, because the terrain types add up to the ones generated by the action card?

In other words, does a movement consist of ONE River and ONE Mountain travel (of some lengths) in R-M or M-R order, or does it consist of x River spaces, and y Mountain spaces in arbitrary order?

A movement consists of one river OR one mountain - (not "and"). In your example, b is correct (move RR-MM-RR because the three activations of the card can be mapped to three distinct moves)

SimonG wrote:
this approach does not work anymore, as you only have a sum of movements to work with instead of distinct movements given by the strength of the movement card. I hope this is understandable :).

I'm not sure what you mean there. As far as I can tell - you do have distinct movements. So if the infinity card adds +1 to movement - and you power it with strength 3, then the infinity card is granting you +3 to each movement. If you then moved with a strength of 2, you would have 2 separate moves with +3 to each one, provided you're still in the appropriate terrain.

I hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene Spears
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
OverText intentionally left blank.
badge
Reach in to find out!
mbmbmbmbmb
Seghillian wrote:
If you then moved with a strength of 2, you would have 2 separate moves with +3 to each one, provided you're still in the appropriate terrain.

In one of the other threads, I believe it was determined that yes, the infinity card's bonus is multiplied by its own strength, but can only ever be applied to *one* movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
Seghillian wrote:
So if the infinity card adds +1 to movement - and you power it with strength 3, then the infinity card is granting you +3 to each movement.

This is not correct as Eugene points out. The infinity card provides extra movement to *one* activation of an appropriate movement ability.

My understanding, although I haven't seen this discussed, is that you can choose which activation to apply it to, but it must be applied in full when used (i.e. you cannot split it up between activations). So in the case of RRMMRRRR if you are paying as in the OP (2 food and 1 horse with the base movement card) you can apply the bonus to the last activation and move more than 2 river spaces after getting through the mountains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.