Popular Tags: [View All]
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I intensely dislike having to switch characters mid-game, so here's a thematic workaround I got from watching Supernatural.

The first time during a game an investigator is devoured, that character is saved by a higher power. Do the following:

1) Restore the investigator's sanity and stamina to full and discard any injuries, madnesses or pacts--you return remarkably scratch-free.
2) Discard all of the investigator's skills and clues--your memory of the horrors has been wiped clean.
3) Roll a d6, and give the investigator a Blessed status on 4+--you are part of the divine plan--or a Cursed status otherwise.
4) The investigator automatically fails any unresolved personal story.
5) Place a doom token on the investigator sheet--the forces of the ancient one are now aware of your importance, and have marked you for annihilation.
6) The investigator is Lost in Time and Space.

If an investigator would be devoured, and that character already has a doom token on his investigator sheet, all players lose that game.

During the Final Battle, use the regular rules for handling devoured investigators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil J.
United States
Castle Rock
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool idea. Thanks for sharing.

For more theme, maybe let the "higher power" decide if the investigator is worthy of saving. Roll one die: on a success the investigator is raised, and on a failure the investigator is devoured as normal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daa1982
Canada
Ontario, Canada
flag msg tools
The Jesus Variant?

nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaius wrote:
Cool idea. Thanks for sharing.

For more theme, maybe let the "higher power" decide if the investigator is worthy of saving. Roll one die: on a success the investigator is raised, and on a failure the investigator is devoured as normal.

That is a cool idea! Could lead to some short games, though, combined with the "everybody loses" condition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Corrina
United States
Unspecified
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this really sounds an awful lot like: "I really, really don't want to lose my first character, but if I do, you guys should stop playing too."

I don't like losing my first character either. However, if you take character death out of the game then you have also taken away the reason for playing Arkham horror.

Thematically Supernatural, which I follow closely, is not directly linked to the lovecraft mythos. What supernatural does have is the conceit of 'LET'S PUNCH EVIL IN THE FACE', this conceit is shared with Hellboy. Hellboy does have a direct link.

you seem to be ignoring some of the key elements of being raised from perdition.
1. you were only raised to bring about the death of all humans/the end of the world, not to save it 2. you were brought back because you are a vessel 3. the 'burning' palm print mark 3. Castiel has doubts about the destruction of Earth, but has not yet sided with humanity.

so, how about if the boss battle occurs then it's already to late for you? you are possessed and the investigators have to fight you as well as the boss. If you play with guardians maybe one can appear in place of castiel?

anyway,maybe a better fit would be the time Chuck teleports them away from a boss battle and onto a plane.

or maybe you should think about that if Lovecraft were answering your question he would tell you that you have returned as an alien mole-man with foul breath. that you are now millions of years old and are now merely, and cheaply, disguised as a human.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil J.
United States
Castle Rock
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm not sure what to make of lupine's post, probably because I am not familiar with Supernatural.

I for one like the OP's variant. Does it favor the investigators? Maybe. Is it good choice for sensitive players, like my wife, because it gives them a chance at a second start when their beloved investigator get devoured? Probably. Does it therefore provide greater potential for returning non-hardcore players? Definitely!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Alcoser
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
My only question is what happens when the personal story being failed would cause the investigator to be devoured, like Amanda Sharpe? Is she the Azathoth of the Investigators - one wrong move and everything goes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PeacockTalk wrote:
My only question is what happens when the personal story being failed would cause the investigator to be devoured, like Amanda Sharpe? Is she the Azathoth of the Investigators - one wrong move and everything goes?

Very good question! I would rule that her PS is simply discarded with no effect. Maybe she does not get the bonuses other devoured characters get, but she should not end the game immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.