Archipelago» Forums » General

Subject: Table layout rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Lexiphanic
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm kind of struggling to find the right way to lay out all of the boards and evolution cards and all of that so that everyone has an even view of the layout.

Traditionally we've always sat 4 in a circle but for Archipelago that just doesn't work — it means someone has the evolution cards directly in front of them at all times, and someone else is waaaay across the table from them and they're upside down.

What's your best way of laying things out?
Would I be right in guessing that people sitting in a semi-circle with the bank and evolution cards opposite would be better than in a circle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lexiphanic wrote:
I'm kind of struggling to find the right way to lay out all of the boards and evolution cards and all of that so that everyone has an even view of the layout.

Traditionally we've always sat 4 in a circle but for Archipelago that just doesn't work — it means someone has the evolution cards directly in front of them at all times, and someone else is waaaay across the table from them and they're upside down.

What's your best way of laying things out?
Would I be right in guessing that people sitting in a semi-circle with the bank and evolution cards opposite would be better than in a circle?

It's probably a case of experiment and find out what works best - it's not easy to answer without knowing the shape and size of your table. If it's circular (as implied in your question) I don't see how this game is different from any other - cards will be upside down for somebody I'd have thought, regardless of the game? The further complication is not knowing what shape your Archipelago might take as the hexes are added during the game. We sometimes find everything has to be shifted or revolved as the map can grow in an unexpected direction!

We just tend to stand and walk round to look at cards if they're not easily read. One suggestion - you could maybe lay out the cards on one of those "Lazy Susan" things and simply revolve the display to suit the current player - I don't know if that could work for you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like this is a game that you have to change your layout depending on how many people are playing. I only play with 2, so I have a very defined, useful setup that I could recommend, but I haven't played with 4 (nor do I have a circular table).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Wiels
Belgium
Chatelet
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lexiphanic wrote:

I don't understand why this is a problem. There are 5 cards for sale, and in the card buying phase, you can ask to read the cards so you know what you'll invest in. In our group, we allways read the text of the cards as they come into play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard-Nose
Germany
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sherinford wrote:
I don't understand why this is a problem.

The problem is not about being able to see which cards are available or what their function is, because by the time you start to develop strategies in this game (around the second or third session), you will likely know what most of them do, and by looking at the images from across the table you can at least tell what you could purchase.

But,
what you can't see from across the table, and can't possibly memorise, is the current and future cost of each card, and the value of the different goods in the markets. And by having to ask for the current price of a certain card or resource, you are already revealing some of your intentions.
As this is something the players sitting right next to the evolution cards or markets don't need to do, they have a certain advantage as they can keep their plans more secret.

So I'd really appreciate some advice on optimising the layout, because I'm having the same issue as the OP with our round gaming table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miles Stevenson
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
Matschmensch wrote:

So I'd really appreciate some advice on optimising the layout, because I'm having the same issue as the OP with our round gaming table.

A lot of the games I enjoy have the issue you describe, or at least can be mildly frustrating simply because things are not able to be in easy reach of all players.

I'm planning to make a raised platform for use with the games I play that eat up a lot of table space. You can get a 2x2 sheet of plexiglass/acrylic, super-glue x4 clear acrylic tubes to it for legs, and you have a small table you can place on top of the main play area. I haven't tried this yet, so I don't know if it will end up obscuring the main board too much to be worth the trouble. But I think going vertical is the only viable way to bring more of the game in toward the center of the table for everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Clyne
England
Hazlemere
Bucks
flag msg tools
Empire of the Midnight Beard
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing that often helps for most games is making sure that people that are near things like evolution cards see them upside down and that people looking at them from across the table see them right side up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.