Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Byrd
United States
Porterdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Battue at Miniature Market with Expansion

At this price, this game is an absolute STEAL. It may not be the best game ever made, but it is a fun little strategy game for 2 to 4 players.

Battue: Storm of the Horse Lords on BGG has a 6.10/10 user rating.

Current Amazon price: $32-34.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In for two to give this variant idea a try, perhaps cook up some others and because… $5!

Tom Vasel (along with many others) is actually quite kind to this one both in print and in his later video review. He emphasizes that it's really solid for what is essentially a super light and fast family friendly war game.

Also landed at #6 in Sam Healy's top 10 games of 2007 and resurfaces again as his #6 in 2014 when they did the Dice Tower Top 10 Obscure Games.

At just $5 each even if I'm unimpressed I can just cannibalize 'em for pnp projects. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Byrd
United States
Porterdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I forgot Sam put it on his Top 10 Obscure game list this year!

I feel I should also mention this box is almost the size of the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game box, lacking maybe half an inch in width. It is a BIG game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Day
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
They've had this combo in clearance for $15. Would have been a decent throw in if you were hitting their free shipping level. Maybe they'll finally get to unload them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flame Point Crispin wrote:
They've had this combo in clearance for $15. Would have been a decent throw in if you were hitting their free shipping level. Maybe they'll finally get to unload them.

I added my two copies to an order that is being held until a pre-order item comes in.

They've got 53 in stock right now. Even at this price I doubt they'll move that many.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Tipp City
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought 2 sets last year when they were selling for the same price. You get a lot... A LOT for $5. The horse miniatures are actually pretty sweet.

However, fair warning both boxes were damaged and the tile pieces were severely warped. Still for $5 I can't complain but I'm sure many would. So don't say you weren't warned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Shearer
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
Anyone in the Cleveland area wanna pick up an extra and split the shipping?

Or anyone in the Fort Collins - Longmont area as well. We will be moving back in July.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Bishop
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madaxer wrote:
I bought 2 sets last year when they were selling for the same price. You get a lot... A LOT for $5. The horse miniatures are actually pretty sweet.

However, fair warning both boxes were damaged and the tile pieces were severely warped. Still for $5 I can't complain but I'm sure many would. So don't say you weren't warned.

I bought 3 for parts last year at this price, and my boxes were all fine. Still, caveat emptor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Journey
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely an under-appreciated game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a good deal if I can add another $95 to my order
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Fez.
mbmbmbmbmb
tlee33 wrote:

Just buy 20 sets! You'll be the King of All Battue!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
tlee33 wrote:

$5 sounded great for an impulse horse buy...maybe even $12 with shipping. Somehow $17 is way past my limit though and I'm not a bulk order kind of guy (Prime is my friend). Darn - the pieces look fun!

I'll have to stick with HORSE GAME!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
This was $5 last year? I bought it at $15 clearance last year from MM. I don't recall it being $5?

Who'd have thought that I'd "overpay" when I spent $15 on a game that started at $75! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Bad, right?
badge
(o)
mbmbmbmbmb
I spent $5 on it from MM on 9/5/13 but spent $9.90 for shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
Akrat wrote:
I spent $5 on it from MM on 9/5/13 but spent $9.90 for shipping.

Ah. I bought it in June '13. I guess if you can't clear out stock at $15, $5 is a good next step!

If this doesn't clear their inventory, I predict a Tanga sale. Free + Shipping! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gallo
United States
Miami
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Misterboy wrote:
This was $5 last year? I bought it at $15 clearance last year from MM. I don't recall it being $5?

Who'd have thought that I'd "overpay" when I spent $15 on a game that started at $75! laugh

The base game was discounted to $5.00 and the expansion was $2.00 during last year's Black Friday Sale. I want my $2.00 back

Seriously though, looks like a good game for the price but I still haven't gotten mine to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StormbringerGrey wrote:
looks like a good game for the price but I still haven't gotten mine to the table.

Heh. "for the price".

At $5 the shelf space is the only cost this game is going to be weighed against!

So how many here have actually played this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Byrd
United States
Porterdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
NuMystic wrote:
StormbringerGrey wrote:
looks like a good game for the price but I still haven't gotten mine to the table.

Heh. "for the price".

At $5 the shelf space is the only cost this game is going to be weighed against!

So how many here have actually played this?

I've played it and enjoy it quite a bit. It is an incredibly light "war" game that is easy enough to teach. There is some luck involved when you are moving to unexplored tiles (it could be an easy space to take, or it could be insanely hard to take, and the end points value could be low or high), and it involves dice, but it is still enjoyable. I'd say at $30 or $40 it would still be worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing your experience, certainly encouraging. (need to help justify the whopping $10 I just threw down dontcha know)

Have you seen some of the proposed variants to cut down on the luck a bit?

A little less luck...a little more strategy...

Reducing the luck factor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh well, it shows sold out now. Saved me $100.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Byrd
United States
Porterdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
NuMystic wrote:
Thanks for sharing your experience, certainly encouraging. (need to help justify the whopping $10 I just threw down dontcha know)

Have you seen some of the proposed variants to cut down on the luck a bit?

A little less luck...a little more strategy...

Reducing the luck factor

I'll have to take a look at those variants. I always like trying "new" versions of games. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tlee33 wrote:

Looks like I know what I'm having for dinner tonight!

NuMystic wrote:
They've got 53 in stock right now. Even at this price I doubt they'll move that many.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
tlee33 wrote:

Looks like I know what I'm having for dinner tonight!

NuMystic wrote:

LOL, maybe someone did buy 20 copies to get free shipping
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HHHHH
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
Flame Point Crispin wrote:

I added my two copies to an order that is being held until a pre-order item comes in.

Hey Dante

If you are willing to sell me one of your two copies for $5 I will go pick it up. Thanks

Jay

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to see you friend! Unfortunately the second copy wasn't just to sell or trade, but to try out a variant that was posted which requires more than one set.

Once we get it to the table and try it out though if I find that it's not for us, I promise you'll be the first person I offer it to okay?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.