Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: Borg Firing Arc rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clayton Lilly
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Would the borg firing arc be considered forward arc? Or would upgrades that specify "forward" or "rear" be inapplicable... ie- undeployable. I'm looking at the Counter Attack talent and Antimatter Mines in particular.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Stair
United States
Macon Area
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew Parks FAQ page 144

Following all of your excellent feedback, Chris and I have agreed that there is a need for a more concrete definition of a 360º firing arc. So after much discussion, this is the wording we plan to add to the FAQ later today.

A ship with a 360º firing arc has neither a forward firing arc nor a rear firing arc. Therefore, any ability which indicates the presence of a forward or rear firing arc does not apply to such a ship.

For example, a Borg Sphere could not fire any existing Photon Torpedoes or make use of Counter Attack. Nor could it make use of the Nuclear Warhead or the Ferengi EM Pulse (since it does not have a forward firing arc to direct the ability outside of). This also means that an opposing ship with Captain Valdore would not roll +1 attack die against the Borg Sphere.

We acknowledge that this revises earlier discussions of both DS9 and Captain Valdore, but our goal is to make sure that the game remains balanced in the face of captains flying around in geometric shapes that defy the ordinary concept of space warfare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Lilly
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Thank you very much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Catron
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dstair2002 wrote:

Following all of your excellent feedback, Chris and I have agreed that there is a need for a more concrete definition of a 360º firing arc. So after much discussion, this is the wording we plan to add to the FAQ later today.

A ship with a 360º firing arc has neither a forward firing arc nor a rear firing arc. Therefore, any ability which indicates the presence of a forward or rear firing arc does not apply to such a ship.

For example, a Borg Sphere could not fire any existing Photon Torpedoes or make use of Counter Attack. Nor could it make use of the Nuclear Warhead or the Ferengi EM Pulse (since it does not have a forward firing arc to direct the ability outside of). This also means that an opposing ship with Captain Valdore would not roll +1 attack die against the Borg Sphere.

We acknowledge that this revises earlier discussions of both DS9 and Captain Valdore, but our goal is to make sure that the game remains balanced in the face of captains flying around in geometric shapes that defy the ordinary concept of space warfare.

I appreciate them clarifying the ruling on a 360 arc and while it makes sense from a rules perspective, it seems very thematically odd that a civilization built on assimilating other race's technology is limited in what they can use more than the other factions. Too bad they didn't have the forethought to put in a primary arc on the Borg ship tokens (akin to Millennium Falcon in X-wing).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Holsclaw
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drktron wrote:
dstair2002 wrote:

I appreciate them clarifying the ruling on a 360 arc and while it makes sense from a rules perspective, it seems very thematically odd that a civilization built on assimilating other race's technology is limited in what they can use more than the other factions. Too bad they didn't have the forethought to put in a primary arc on the Borg ship tokens (akin to Millennium Falcon in X-wing).

Thematically, you might be right. But then, thematically, the Borg should be near invincible, and frankly I think they're more invincible than they should be already in-game. I won't shed any tears over them losing the ability to Counter Attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Yager
msg tools
This is a STAR TREK game, and, I feel there should be a balance between what is seen on the show/movies and game play. If you don't do this, then, the game is NOT really a Star Trek game. On the show the Borg won't attack first, they wait until you attack them. They will assimulate and probe your technology, but, they won't attack until they perceive a threat. The Borg are very strong and very difficult to destroy, not impossible. That should be reflected in the game play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmy1701 wrote:
This is a STAR TREK game, and, I feel there should be a balance between what is seen on the show/movies and game play. If you don't do this, then, the game is NOT really a Star Trek game. On the show the Borg won't attack first, they wait until you attack them. They will assimulate and probe your technology, but, they won't attack until they perceive a threat. The Borg are very strong and very difficult to destroy, not impossible. That should be reflected in the game play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.