Subject: Tips For Trading With User (No Trade Rating/History) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Euro Gamer
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking at doing a trade with a user with no trade rating/history. What have people done to minimize risk in this situation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben R
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
Why play 'em when you can trade 'em?!?!
badge
And on the 8th day, God said "Let there be Math Trades"
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Tips For Trading With User (No Trade History)
Ask them to ship first. Before I had a trade history, I would have expected this to be asked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Tips For Trading With User (No Trade History)
Check their 'presence' on BGG:

1) Do they post much/at all?
2) Do they seem to 'know' other folks?
3) Do they have some thumbs?
4) Do they have badges/supporter banners/avatar etc?
5) Do they seem to keep an active collection?
6) How long have they been a member?

I have recently turned down two sales in the marketplace because the buyers had ZERO presence - no posts, no collection details. One had - apparently - been a member for several years, but the complete absence of any activity on BGG gave me cause for concern.

So yes: get them to ship first (assuming you have a good presence yourself )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Euro Gamer
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BentlyCash wrote:
Ask them to ship first. Before I had a trade history, I would have expected this to be asked.

Great thought. Is it appropriate to wait for the item to arrive before shipping on my end? I am trading ~$130 of games and care a great deal about condition. I'm inclined to wait for the trade to arrive before shipping on my end. I have a well established and positive rating/history myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ley
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think sometimes you have to have trust. I have no trade history, but I would want to be treated with respect. Just agree to ship on the same day and ask for tracking.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask for them to ship first, but make sure it is more of a request and not a demand. I personally would be off put by someone demanding that they got their shipment first because they didn't trust me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
neverscene wrote:
BentlyCash wrote:

Great thought. Is it appropriate to wait for the item to arrive before shipping on my end? I am trading ~$130 of games and care a great deal about condition. I'm inclined to wait for the trade to arrive before shipping on my end. I have a well established and positive rating/history myself.

Yes, wait. Just politely explain to the other party what you intend doing and why. If they are 'funny' about it, you probably have a good indicator about the advisability of the trade!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ley
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
neverscene wrote:
BentlyCash wrote:

]

I think asking for pictures would be appropriate. And ask for tracking, that way you can see it shipped and then ship yours. Just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Euro Gamer
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Invasion81 wrote:
I think sometimes you have to have trust. I have no trade history, but I would want to be treated with respect. Just agree to ship on the same day and ask for tracking.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask for them to ship first, but make sure it is more of a request and not a demand. I personally would be off put by someone demanding that they got their shipment first because they didn't trust me.

I totally understand your thoughts and feelings on this. This is why I am trying to treat this situation very delicately. Trust is established by trade history though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Invasion81 wrote:

I think it was a famous American president who said "Trust, but verify"

There are ways to build up a presence on BGG before embarking on a big trade (one way is buying small items in the marketplace and making small trades - especially Maths Trades).

$130 + shipping is quite a chunk to risk with a 'newbie' IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ley
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
neverscene wrote:
Invasion81 wrote:

I totally understand your thoughts and feelings on this. This is why I am trying to treat this situation very delicately. Trust is established by trade history though.

Yeah, I see your point. I think it will be mostly how you phrase your request. I think most newbies would be ok with your requests if you ask nicely and explain yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Euro Gamer
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
neverscene wrote:
BentlyCash wrote:

Yes, wait. Just politely explain to the other party what you intend doing and why. If they are 'funny' about it, you probably have a good indicator about the advisability of the trade!

I agree with this. This shouldn't be a big deal. I can also add that I requested this in their feedback and they were happy to accommodate. This comment from an established user will quickly establish a solid foundation for any future trades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Euro Gamer
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Invasion81 wrote:
neverscene wrote:
Invasion81 wrote:

Yeah, I see your point. I think it will be mostly how you phrase your request. I think most newbies would be ok with your requests if you ask nicely and explain yourself.

I totally agree. Good thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoardGameCo
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking as someone with a few trades, I've yet to request someone ship first. While I can certainly understand why the request is made, I've just never had the need. I've traded with hundreds of people as their first trade, and to date, with over 2000 trades under my belt, I've only been straight up stiffed once. A few times I've had to wait a month or so, but actual straight up stiffed, only occurred one time. Don't get me wrong, I completely understand someone wanting to be cautious, I'm just making the observation that it hasn't been necessary on my end.

Alex Radcliffe
hb|avatar
boardgamemarketplace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.