8 Posts

Empire of the Sun» Forums » Rules

Subject: Operation MI: Battle of Midway rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools

Op MI is played as event. The Japanese player only moves units to AA unoccupied non-one-hex-island-hexes. No battles are declared. Suppose one of the hex is within Allied AZOI and range of a HQ. What happen if the Allied player successfully rolls for SR and makes it a battle hex? Because this invalidate the condition of the event, does that mean the Japanese player cannot make such moves that can cause SR in a non-one-hex-island-hex?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see anything in the rules or the FAQ but my interpretation would be that the Japanese player followed all the event requirements. The battle is due to allied reaction not the Japanese player's actions.

Usually I roll for SR after the offensive player has declared all battle hexes. Maybe the card can be clarified in the next edition. I would change it to: "The Japanese player may only declare one-hex islands as battle hexes. Special Reaction has no effect on this condition.".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools

I disagree. The onus of complying the event condition should be on the offensive player. It is the Japanese moves that cause the SR, not the other way round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So if it's an event and it has an intelligence condition number for the event, doesn't that necessarily mean that the card contemplates the Allies being able to react through Special Reactions without negating the card event? If not, what would the intelligence condition possibly mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joekong_hk wrote:

I disagree. The onus of complying the event condition should be on the offensive player. It is the Japanese moves that cause the SR, not the other way round.

How about this: what if the allies fail all their SR rolls? Why shouldn't you be allowed to continue using the event? That's my problem with the logic that says you can't make moves into SR hexes. It's not a sure thing. It's possible to comply with the requirements as long as the allies don't make their SR rolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joekong_hk wrote:

Op MI is played as event. The Japanese player only moves units to AA unoccupied non-one-hex-island-hexes. No battles are declared. Suppose one of the hex is within Allied AZOI and range of a HQ. What happen if the Allied player successfully rolls for SR and makes it a battle hex? Because this invalidate the condition of the event, does that mean the Japanese player cannot make such moves that can cause SR in a non-one-hex-island-hex?

It is in the rules, but the Offensive player only needs to comply with the event instructions and not Special Reactions. So, if a battle hex is generated via Special reaction, its a legal use of the event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lopo Metello
Switzerland
Denges
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Neko-San is here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the clarification!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools

Not exactly the answer I anticipate. At least it keeps the fighting spirit of Yamamoto! whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.