Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Reuben
Ireland
Kilcullen
Kildare
flag msg tools
mb
Is it just me or does this feel like a quicker/simpler Lords of Waterdeep?

You collect various resources and then cash them in for ships/missions (a choice of 4). Yes there's a spatial element instead of basic worker-placement but you still get that nice feeling collecting the 'bits' and cashing them in for points.

Anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reuben
Ireland
Kilcullen
Kildare
flag msg tools
mb
Oops, forgot to add my variant idea: most of the Lords of Waterdeep missions require a lot more resources to achieve. What if you were forced to get two ships at a time instead of one? You could not cash-in a single ship with resources but must take two.

Or optionally: you can cash-in a single ship as normal but you can also cash in multiple ships at a time if you wish. The bonus being that for each ship you cash-in, you get to keep one of those resources; it's a discount for keeping so many captains happy! This would encourage a longer-term view of points.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of the last part there, but don't think the reward is high enough.

There are only a handful of boats that are clearly better than the others (the ones that give you more points than resources spent) so I doubt it would be wise to hold off buying one of those when it comes up with the hope of collecting 2 at once. Someone will almost definitely scoop the good ship up before it gets back to you.

Also, this would change the end game a bit... because you can buy 2 at once there's much less danger of waiting too long to convert resources to ships.

So I guess the variant just rewards the hording of resources slightly, but I don't see it really changing the game very much if at all. I like the base idea, though... maybe some tweaking would make it click.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reuben
Ireland
Kilcullen
Kildare
flag msg tools
mb
I only just received the game in the post and haven't even played it yet so it was just a thought! Perhaps if for each bonus ship you could receive a coin which is worth an extra victory point at the end of the game? I'm going to get some plays in tomorrow so will get a feel for it then!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.