Subject: Clarification on Eureka rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Wray
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The wording on this card confuses me (sorry, not able to link/copy it from where I am writing this).

Does it reduce the cost of install by up to 10, or is it required that you can reduce the cost by 10? What if the install cost is 9 or less? I think the 'if able' text is compounding the issue. If able to what? Install? Reduce the cost by 10?

My apologies if this has already been discussed, I spent some time looking and wasn't able to find this addressed. Thanks in advance for the help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't recall if there ever was an official ruling, but my understanding is the 'if able' means 'if able to be installed', and you discount by up to 10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Saltrelli
United States
Hilton
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's up to 10. If you Eureka a Garrote (cost 7) then the Garrote is free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
if it required the cost to be 10, that would be a pretty awful card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a good question, and it's a good thing it is up to 10 - else the only cards it could currently work with would be Blackguard and Monolith . (There might be 1-2 more in upcoming sets that I've missed but...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Saltrelli
United States
Hilton
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taloncarde wrote:

Especially in the current meta where no programs cost that much. Torch is the closest at 9 credits.

Edit: My mistake. I forgot Eureka does more than just programs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FirstName LastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cynchwyrm wrote:
I think the 'if able' text is compounding the issue.

"If able" is notorious for being difficult to interpret (not just in this game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wray
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Taloncarde wrote:

Agreed. It appeared the general feeling was that this is a pretty awful card, which led me to look closer at it to make sure I didn't misunderstand it.

I feel like a free program or hardware install up to 10 is actually underrated (powered with Motivation, obviously). That's some serious economy. The many comments I saw regarding needing more cards that cost 10 or more before it becomes useful I think misses the point.

Thanks for the info, I'm going to play with ways to use Eureka/Motivation. Maybe along with Test Run, too. It gives you an alternative play to Scavenge (or extra options along with Scavenge). Interesting possibilities now that I know I'm reading it right...

Question part two, how is Eureka usage impacted by Kate's install discount?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micheal Keane
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Pictured: Rags Raggerson, successful businesscat
mb
I would think that it stacks since Kate's bonus stacks with Modded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian H
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
Mess with the best, die like the rest.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the "if able" is supposed to refer to whether or not you can install it in the first place (i.e., not an Event). It isn't super clear, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Saltrelli
United States
Hilton
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MavericK96 wrote:
I think the "if able" is supposed to refer to whether or not you can install it in the first place (i.e., not an Event). It isn't super clear, though.

It's a very general way of not breaking the text on certain cards. You may reveal a card that can be installed but you cannot install right now. For example, say you use Eureka and reveal a Data Leak Reversal but haven't made a successful run on a central server. You can't install DLR even with Eureka because DLR can only be installed if certain conditions are met.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Forster
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
or a second console, etc.

I'd agree that the "if able" clause modifies "You may install that card."

A better written version of that sentence would be "You may install that card, if able, reducing its cost by 10[c]. If you do not install, trash that card."

The problem is trying to fit all those conditionals into the space they have. (at that font with those line breaks, they have maybe 8 more characters available before they have to lose the flavor text.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Schneider
United States
California
flag msg tools
The reason most people agree that it's a bad card:

1. Monolith/Blackguard aside, your best case is probably to get 9C from Torch/Femme Fatale/Morningstar. But Eureka itself takes 2 clicks, a card and 3C to play. So you've used 1 click & 1 card to save 6C. Depending how you value clicks/cards in your deck, that's a gain of ~3C. If you installed a Magnum Opus with it instead, you're actually losing money!

Also consider:
- You need Motivation in play, or it's pretty much useless.
- How many Torches/Femme Fatales/... are you putting in your deck? I can't imagine playing more than 8 or 9 high-cost cards like that, even in a deck built around it, which means only 1 out of 5 cards is worthwhile to install. So it takes 5 turns of peeking at your top card with Motivation before you find something worth using it on.
- The Test Run combo is OK... but I'd still much rather have Scavenge to re-install for free on the same turn, than do it on the next turn and spend an extra click & 3C. Plus, Scavenge has other uses, so if you draw it after your rig is out it's still not a dead draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wray
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ragnarook wrote:
The reason most people agree that it's a bad card:

1. Monolith/Blackguard aside, your best case is probably to get 9C from Torch/Femme Fatale/Morningstar. But Eureka itself takes 2 clicks, a card and 3C to play. So you've used 1 click & 1 card to save 6C. Depending how you value clicks/cards in your deck, that's a gain of ~3C. If you installed a Magnum Opus with it instead, you're actually losing money!

Also consider:
- You need Motivation in play, or it's pretty much useless.
- How many Torches/Femme Fatales/... are you putting in your deck? I can't imagine playing more than 8 or 9 high-cost cards like that, even in a deck built around it, which means only 1 out of 5 cards is worthwhile to install. So it takes 5 turns of peeking at your top card with Motivation before you find something worth using it on.
- The Test Run combo is OK... but I'd still much rather have Scavenge to re-install for free on the same turn, than do it on the next turn and spend an extra click & 3C. Plus, Scavenge has other uses, so if you draw it after your rig is out it's still not a dead draw.

I'm planning to use it without Motivation as an addition to Scavenge to make sure I have the Test Run combo. As you say, Scavenge has other uses so it will open it up to more options. I can use them without as much concern if I will be able to Test Run combo it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.